So I've Just Got My Prescription And Had A Change To Single Use Neon Verifine Needles!???!??!

Serial45

Ok so I haven't had a chance to speak to my doctor yet...

Anyways I know you're supposed to change your needle every use. But I don't I sometimes inject up to 10 times a day. I cannot even fathom having to change my pen needle once every time.

I probably keep my needle on for 2-3 days. I've been type one diabetic for 20 years with no infection.

I've spoke to the chemist and he says this change has come from further up the ladder.... surely there must be some alternative to this bloody single use needle.

I estimate I'll go through at least 200 of these a month!! And it's a hassle I don't want to have to face when going on holiday.

I thought the NHS were trying to cut back on costs?

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @Serial45. Don't you just love it when they change something without asking you first. Strongly suspect the dreaded cut back monster may be to blame.
That aside, all pen needles, as I'm aware, are single use. Great for the manufacturers but as the real experts (us) know not entirely necessary. I'm not familiar with the Neon Verifine, is there anything that means it can't be reused or is it just a marketing ploy by the supplier?

Serial45

Hi @Serial45. Don't you just love it when they change something without asking you first. Strongly suspect the dreaded cut back monster may be to blame.
That aside, all pen needles, as I'm aware, are single use. Great for the manufacturers but as the real experts (us) know not entirely necessary. I'm not familiar with the Neon Verifine, is there anything that means it can't be reused or is it just a marketing ploy by the supplier?
Yup it had This locking mechanism that you can literally only use once on it and you have to push the needle down into your skin hard to reveal half of the needle. They are a lot more painful to use as well :(.

Alison54321

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Same happened here. There was a decision made by the health authority to switch to needles with no sheath, so they couldn't be used more than once. Different brand to yours, Omnican, but the change was compulsory. No arguing allowed.

I used to be naughty and reuse needles, a few years ago, but I stopped, before it became compulsory. It is a nuisance, in terms of the amount of waste disposal required, but they're on to us, and there is nothing can be done.

There are good reasons for not using them more than once, but I do sympathise, they are such a pain to dispose of, and fiddly, and the news one I get are transparent, and if I drop one on the floor it rolls away, it's hard to find, etc, etc, etc.

But we have no choice.

Serial45

Same happened here. There was a decision made by the health authority to switch to needles with no sheath, so they couldn't be used more than once. Different brand to yours, Omnican, but the change was compulsory. No arguing allowed.

I used to be naughty and reuse needles, a few years ago, but I stopped, before it became compulsory. It is a nuisance, in terms of the amount of waste disposal required, but they're on to us, and there is nothing can be done.

There are good reasons for not using them more than once, but I do sympathise, they are such a pain to dispose of, and fiddly, and the news one I get are transparent, and if I drop one on the floor it rolls away, it's hard to find, etc, etc, etc.

But we have no choice.
Well one things for sure I'll be popping them straight in the bin. Not bothering with this whole sharps box

Reactions: Alison54321

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yup it had This locking mechanism that you can literally only use once on it and you have to push the needle down into your skin hard to reveal half of the needle. They are a lot more painful to use as well :(.
Wow, well we learn something new everyday. What a complete pain on both fronts.
I think my course of action would be to approach my GP and say NO I don't want, can't get on with these and prefer what I'm using. A lot of the time it's a computer program that is the issue. Computer say " only use product x" sadly it's not always that easy.
Hope you can get some resolution with your GP.

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
So what happens if you go to your chemist and buy some off prescription? (Not sure I've ever needed a prescription for needles but I may be misremembering, and I use so few that I haven't bought any for a couple of years.)