What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

jayney27

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi everyone,
Been a tad naughty today, I was seduced by coffee and walnut cake at Waitrose, if I’m honest I didn’t enjoy it as much as I thought I would, maybe i was worried about potential consequences, however I think I got away with it but won’t repeat it in a hurry.
B- egg, bacon and mushrooms with a cappuccino, I obviously woke with good intentions
Nothing until the cake, BG 5.0 before first bite, 6.1 2 hr Mark down to 4.6 before dinner
D- sliced roast pork, cucumber, pepper, tomato, cheese and blue cheese dressing, final skinny slice of choc oil cake with a spoonful of extra thick cream, much nicer than the naughty cake from earlier and I promise NO CAKE tomorrow

Attachments

• EDD659A0-1561-49B0-85AD-E242C3F3BE3A.jpeg
    EDD659A0-1561-49B0-85AD-E242C3F3BE3A.jpeg
    62.1 KB · Views: 215
  • C496A6DD-4230-43D6-8FA7-51467D7130C1.jpeg
    C496A6DD-4230-43D6-8FA7-51467D7130C1.jpeg
    69.5 KB · Views: 187
  • 7A3D18DC-B2DC-4AA8-8DA7-1AD4A60AEF88.jpeg
    7A3D18DC-B2DC-4AA8-8DA7-1AD4A60AEF88.jpeg
    39.7 KB · Views: 172

jayney27

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I had to travel as video connections were in their infancy and didn't work well. Any Dublin/Belfast sessions always seemed to be weekends but they were always obliging and shipped Hubby with me on these weekend work trips and there was always free time.
Yes I can work my trips so that I can spend a bit of time where I go to either before or after, just as well as Cyprus is a long way to go.

artdecomum

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi All,

Yesterday was
1pm salami crisps with cream cheese. Haven’t had them for days. Even nicer than i remembered!

That seems to be a very low amount of food. do you have any idea of how many calories/grams of carb that you eat in a day? Are you trying to lose weight or maintain a level. Hope my questions aren't intrusive, just intrigued as I am eating 6-700 cals and less than 20gms carbs and am trying desperately to lose weight as fast as I can and I'm judging I eat more than you.
7pm pulled pork and ‘square sausages’. Mr B’s sausage obsession continues. These were really disappointing. Even he admitted that he doesn’t want them again.

Today
1pm crustless quiche with feta
7pm 4 gf sausages
Unfortunately, still peckish. More salmi then. :D

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all hope having good weekend
Breakfast one slice low carb bread and boiled egg and coffee with inulin
Mid morning flat white while out
Lunch 3 seed crispbreads with mackerel in olive oil on top and 5 walnuts
Afternoon two pots of green tea with mint
Dinner chicken curry ( added some celeriac cubes and were lovely used to love potato in curry and r3minded me of this) with one slice low carb bread followed by 3 strawberries from garden ( crop ripening fast!) sugar free lemon and lime jelly and #mall dollop of cream plus large glass of red wine stuffed today but trying to eat a bit more to stop losing weight !

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@artdecomum

No worries about the questions! Am happy to answer them.

I usually aim for good portions of things. I don't believe in going hungry :D and I eat when I am hungry, so there is no sense of deprivation. :) Basically, because I avoid carbs and my guts react badly to veg nowadays, I try to eat good portions of protein, and then get fat to satiety. I would be happy to lose a little weight (the slower the better. I have strong opinions on the negatives of rapid weight loss, but that makes me a minority around here :) ) I have only lost about 3 pounds in the last 6 months. But I would much rather lose at that rate than drop weight fast or yoyo. I guesstimate that my macros are somewhere in the region of 20% or less as protein, negligible carbs and 80%+ as fat.

I haven't counted calories for years, but cream cheese is astonishingly calorific. And a good dollop of cream cheese on each salami crisp adds up to hefty calorie load.
https://www.tesco.com/groceries/en-GB/products/261765052
I had about a quarter of a tub, plus the salami, of course.

Nowadays I am mainly just eating meat and fat, and can eat anywhere from half a pound to 1.5 pounds of meat during the day (usually a pound or less) with enough fat in the form of cream, butter, cream cheese, meat fat, crackling, even mayo etc. to fill to satiety

Yesterday was crustless quiche at lunchtime and then about 400 g of baked salmon
https://www.tesco.com/groceries/en-GB/products/277160996
with one new potato with added butter. I imagine that evening meal was well over 1000 calories by itself, with additional calories in the quiche, the coffee substitute with cream, and the 70% dark choc I snaffled mid afternoon. :)

Today I had a rare breakfast, with bacon and scrambled eggs made with double cream and cooked in butter. Lunch wasn't needed, but this evening I had a 10 oz steak with a few chips (we were out, and they looked delicious!) then came home and had a coffee substitute with cream and 3 squares of 70% choc.

Reactions: maglil55

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening all

Been quite glum today as dog is still in hospital and the house just isn’t the same. Thought I’d be able to bring her home this evening but I could only visit and had to come home alone as she’s still not eating and seems v poorly.
In another life I would have eaten a lot of cake or drunk a lot of wine to help cheer myself up but today I managed to focus on simple but delicious food and didn’t binge.

B: fried egg, bacon, coffee with cream

L: made myself a 3 course lunch to take my mind off things - all the family away atm. Starter was asparagus and a big dollop of home made mayo. Then a salad of avocado, walnuts, olives, rocket and parmesan shavings with a glug of olive oil.
Finally SF jelly and a spoonful of cream. More coffee

D: avocado with a whole pot of M&S prawn and Orkney crab cocktail. First time Ive had this, its lovely and had a bit of a chilli kick. <2g carbs for the whole pot
Chocolate chia pud to follow.

@ianpspurs your menu sounds wonderful today, and so much home grown produce! Fantastic!

@jayney27 now was a good time to have a bit of ordinary cake - its a long time to your A1c - but seems it wasn’t a catastrophe anyway which is great news. Even better news that it wasn’t as nice as you’d anticipated, funny how our tastes change isn’t it.

@maglil55 take a deep breath before tomorrow, what a whirlwind life you have!

Last edited:

jayney27

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening all

Been quite glum today as dog is still in hospital and the house just isn’t the same. Thought I’d be able to bring her home this evening but I could only visit and had to come home alone as she’s still not eating and seems v poorly.
In another life I would have eaten a lot of cake or drunk a lot of wine to help cheer myself up but today I managed to focus on simple but delicious food and didn’t binge.

B: fried egg, bacon, coffee with cream

L: made myself a 3 course lunch to take my mind iff things - all the family away atm. Starter was asparagus and a big dollop of home made mayo. Then a salad of avocado, walnuts, oluves, rocket and parmesan shavings with a glug of olive oil.
Finally SF jelly and a spoonful of cream. More coffee

D: avocado with a whole pot of M&S prawn and Orkney crab cocktail. First time Ive had this, its lovely and had a bit of a chilli kick. <2g carbs for the whole pot
Chocolate chia pud to follow.

@ianpspurs your menu sounds wonderful today, and so much home grown produce! Fantastic!

@jayney27 now was a good time to have a bit of ordinary cake - its a long time to your A1c - but seems it wasn’t a catastrophe anyway which is great news. Even better news that it wasn’t as nice as you’d anticipated, funny how our tastes change isn’t it.

@maglil55 take a deep breath before tomorrow, what a whirlwind life you have!
Hi @DJC3 sorry that your dog isn’t well enough to come home yet, I’m sure she is the best place at the mo, but that doesn’t make it any easier for you.
You are right about our tastes changing I now enjoy things I avioded before and a lot of things I used to enjoy now don’t appeal to me or when I’ve had a little taste are now too sweet or just not enjoyable, like today, coffee and walnut cake was always a fav of mine, still love both ingredients but not as a cake it seems, good though as now I won’t crave it or feel I’m missing out. Your menu sounds lovely today especially the prawn and crab cocktail, that would be nice on @shelley262 crackers.

Reactions: DJC3 and ianpspurs

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@DJC3 Have a cyber hug for missing your dog but also for recognising there are other ways for dealing with stressful times than previously thought. Your food menu sounds good as well. I do like having so much homegrown and homemade food I guess it is like childhood. I really crave a period of boring stability with bg, sleep and general well being BUT I do know I am very fortunate compared to many. Hope your dog is on the mend soon.

Last edited:
Reactions: DJC3

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

Hi @jayney27 Oddly, I didn't much like coffee and walnut cake before dx but I suddenly felt adapting a recipe for chocolate cake we made to those ingredients would work. The cake was really good in my opinion but it is odd how tastes change. I also avoided almonds like the plague but now make almond milk and quite like to eat them.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @DJC3 sorry that your dog isn’t well enough to come home yet, I’m sure she is the best place at the mo, but that doesn’t make it any easier for you.
You are right about our tastes changing I now enjoy things I avioded before and a lot of things I used to enjoy now don’t appeal to me or when I’ve had a little taste are now too sweet or just not enjoyable, like today, coffee and walnut cake was always a fav of mine, still love both ingredients but not as a cake it seems, good though as now I won’t crave it or feel I’m missing out. Your menu sounds lovely today especially the prawn and crab cocktail, that would be nice on @shelley262 crackers.

Funny I thought the same thing about @shelley262 ‘s crackers and the prawn and crab cocktail.

A while ago someone on here posted a link for a low carb coffee and walnut cake, but I didn’t have the ‘copy me that’ app at the time so didn’t save it. It was one of my favourites too before lchf and I’m hoping they might post it again now?

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@DJC3 we were distraught when one of ours had to stay overnight at the vets. Very worried, and the thought of him being alone there, away from the home Pack... but if they are that ill, it is the best place for them. They need the drip and the supervision, and there is usually a vet nurse on duty all night.

Of course, that doesn't make you feel any better at all, but it is kind of reassuring.

I hope she is better soon and home with you where she belongs.

Here is the c&w cake I use
https://www.diabetesdaily.com/forum/recipes/50976-coffee-walnut-cake-low-carb/
Delicious. But be warned, there is nothing light and airy about it. More like a meal in a slice, and resembles a brick. :D

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@DJC3 Have a cyber hug for missing your dog but also for recognising there are other ways for dealing with stressful times than previously thought. Your food menu sounds good as well. I do like having so much homegrown and homemade food I guess it is like childhood. I really crave a period of boring stability with bg, sleep and general well being BUT I do know I am very fortunate compared to many. Hope your dog is on the mend soon.

Thank you. I don’t know how you can bear to fast as much as you do when you have such abundance on your doorstep, you must have cast iron willpower.

jayney27

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

Hi @jayney27 Oddly, I didn't much like coffee and walnut cake before dx but I suddenly felt adapting a recipe for chocolate cake we made to those ingredients would work. The cake was really good in my opinion but it is odd how tastes change. I also avoided almonds like the plague but now make almond milk and quite like to eat them.
I never liked cream cheese, celery or feta cheese now love all 3, also 90% chocolate is ok but milk chocolate is not, always liked cauliflower but never realised how versatile it is, it’s now my rice and mash substitute and as a soup it’s amazing.
Your cake sounds good, the mum of one of my friends used to make a wonderful coffee and walnut cake.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you. I don’t know how you can bear to fast as much as you do when you have such abundance on your doorstep, you must have cast iron willpower.
@DJC3 I don't like the fasting but I also hate the idea of good food having a negative effect on me. Most of the food will be fine over the next few days until tests are done then I will relax and enjoy them for a month or so while its peak season.

Reactions: DJC3

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@DJC3 we were distraught when one of ours had to stay overnight at the vets. Very worried, and the thought of him being alone there, away from the home Pack... but if they are that ill, it is the best place for them. They need the drip and the supervision, and there is usually a vet nurse on duty all night.

Of course, that doesn't make you feel any better at all, but it is kind of reassuring.

Delicious. But be warned, there is nothing light and airy about it. More like a meal in a slice, and resembles a brick. :D

Thanks @Brunneria you’ve hit the nail on the head exactly. Its just the thought of her being on her own in a place that makes her nervous at the best of times. You are right of course, she’s in the best place I know.

Ooh thanks for the c&w recipe - I love a brick- like cake, much better than an airy fairy light sponge. I might try @shelley262 ‘s method of beating the egg whites and adding them separately though.

Last edited:
Reactions: ianpspurs

jayney27

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

Thank you for sharing the link for the cake, I might give it a go.

Reactions: shelley262

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@DJC3 I don't like the fasting but I also hate the idea of good food having a negative effect on me. Most of the food will be fine over the next few days until tests are done then I will relax and enjoy them for a month or so while its peak season.

When is your test? Is it the HbA1c?

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
When is your test? Is it the HbA1c?
Tuesday - my birthday. I have swimming lesson then HbA1C , probably some lunch. At 6.00 I have my first Nordic Walking class then I may have the large steak I was originally going to have today or tomorrow. I think my wife is making a strawberry tart with the keto pastry we have used and our strawberries in a kind of puree/jelly idea with inulin glaze!

jayney27

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Tuesday - my birthday. I have swimming lesson then HbA1C , probably some lunch. At 6.00 I have my first Nordic Walking class then I may have the large steak I was originally going to have today or tomorrow. I think my wife is making a strawberry tart with the keto pastry we have used and our strawberries in a kind of puree/jelly idea with inulin glaze!
Fingers crossed for you I truly hope you get the result you want :)