Is My Husband Heading For Diabetes?

Lesleywo

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
My addiction to carbs
I tested my husband's sugars before and after a dinner of Frey Bentos steak and kidney pie, 2T Mash, Broccolini and Carrots.

Before: 5.5
After 90 mins 9.4
After 2 hours 6.9

Tested again today after lunch of wholemeal ham, Cheese and salad sandwich and half a pkt Twiglets.

Before: 5.2
After 1 hour 7.6
After 2 hours 7.5

I am early LADA with IGT and my numbers are lower than his (no meds).

Thoughts? He is 53 and overweight.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If I were you I would have a good rummage around www.bloodsugar101.com
There is a v interesting section on how blood glucose dysregulation develops, and how differently it progresses in different people.

In short, his numbers fall well within what most health systems consider ‘normal’, but most health systems only diagnose once things have gone past pearshaped and into progressive damage.

Does he eat like that a lot?

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
As well as reading blood sugar 101, try testing him several times just before then 2 hours and 3 to 3 1/2 hours later and have him discuss the results with his GP.

Reactions: Lesleywo

Lesleywo

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
My addiction to carbs
If I were you I would have a good rummage around www.bloodsugar101.com
There is a v interesting section on how blood glucose dysregulation develops, and how differently it progresses in different people.

In short, his numbers fall well within what most health systems consider ‘normal’, but most health systems only diagnose once things have gone past pearshaped and into progressive damage.

Does he eat like that a lot?
Pretty much yes ... he is terrified of needles and rarely goes to the doctor for this reason so blood tests are few and far between. I think his last fasting was 5.5.

I know Jenny Rhul says non diabetics should be under 6.6 after 2 hours... Dr Bernstein way lower. As you say, government guidelines are far more liberal.

I would like him to have a bit of a scare th as it might make him make healthier food choices.

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
He may or may not be but a good diagnostic test would be his fasting insulin or one the doctor will be more familiar with the HBA1c. Blood sugars are the last stage of becoming diabetic type 2 prior to which his body may be insulin resistant but producing excess amounts of insulin in order to keep the blood sugars in a non toxic range. As his beta cells become less effective this will no longer be possible and his average bg will begin to rise.
Assuming you are looking out for this because of your own status but it would be more useful to go by objective measures! Btw does he have high blood pressure as well as being overweight, or have low HDL (good cholesterol) and high ldl?

lindisfel

Expert
It sounds to me as if his endogenous insulin may be on the edge of holding his blood glucose down.
He needs to have the markers of insulin resistance checked as noted above but Trigs divided by HDL is a good indicator.
D.

Last edited: