MP's campaign to force testing before driving

sugar2

mehdave said:
What a load of cobblers they expect me to test my blood everytime I want to nip to the shop or out in the car. No chance.

And also as has been mentioned is this guy going to win over the government when he tells them how much it will be to supply every diabetic with unlimited strips.

I get in and out a car at least 5 times a day. So thats 90 strips a month. Plus my regular testing your looking at with this silly idea 120 strips a month for every single diabetic.

Bet it wont even have a glimmer of hope and neither it should

I have days where I do a lot of driving...and I therefore do alot of testing. The GP is happy to sign off the strips when I explained this to him as well. i imagine, that if you are in and out of the car every 2 minutes, than you would be OK testing every 2 hours or so....but yes, you should test everytime you get in the car. If you don't, please, whatever you do, don't drive down my street!

mehdave

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rubbish doctors who dont listen. Unclean hospitals
sugar2 said:
If you don't, please, whatever you do, don't drive down my street!

As I type 2 who has controlled BG and testing before and after meals ..

No worries :roll:

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Yes, all type 1's should test before driving on every journey, but my incident shows last July that I had gone for an hour walk with a 5 minute max drive home, and because I had tested within the 2 hours, I thought I was safe......how wrong I was.....and how much it showed as well, that I wasn't the only person that never tested if getting back in to a car within 2 hours etc.

I always test now, even for a 5 minute drive, I will never get caught out again.....but, I hope that if it is enforced, that somehow, every single diabetic will be able to test on every single drive.

bowell

Dislikes
Tablets, Mums with pushchair who push in ,Bus and WC
OK Devil's Advocate

Should The NHS provide /Pay for Test strips for your Driving
When some diabetics have No test strips at all . :?:

Would the Government Not argue :
That you Don’t Need To Drive for your Heath ?
NHS Test strips provided ,are only for your heath BG control ?

Any HSE medicals you need for work or Pleasure you need to pay for?
HGV , Deep Sea Diver, Racing ,ect

If you need to test for driving then that is for Work or Pleasure .Not for your Heath
If you wish to Drive
its not up to you to Prove you are in a fit state to drive, Not the Governments ?

Owwwwww :D

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
People keep saying all diabetics should test before driving.
Why?
I don't even have to tell the DVLA because I am on diet and exercise and no medication.
If I have a major hypo it will be approaching a miracle!

Of courser, in extreme cases non-diabetics can also go hypo, so why stop at all diabetics?
Make veryone test before driving.

<http://www.diabetes.org.uk/Guide-to-diabetes/Complications/Hypoglycaemia/Non-diabetic_hypoglycaemia/>

"In people without diabetes similar symptoms can be experienced, although it is unusual for hypoglycaemia to proceed so far, because the body's balancing mechanism will start acting more quickly. A very small number of people may get no obvious symptoms of hypoglycaemia, however, and may become unconscious, depending on the underlying cause."

Not a major problem - just equip all cars, trucks etc. with a device which recognises a driver's fingerprint then administers a blood test for BG, alchohol, drugs etc.
Preferably in the sterring wheel so it can retest at regular but random intervals in case you are snorting coke, swigging Special Brew and injecting insulin at the same time as texting and searching for tunes on your iPod and apps on your iPhone. Oh, and eating crisps and drinking from a can.

Simples.

Shame they are cutting the police force though - who will enforce the law?

Cheers

LGC

bowell

Dislikes
LittleGreyCat » 04 Mar 2011 08:57

People keep saying all diabetics should test before driving.
Why?
I don't even have to tell the DVLA because I am on diet and exercise and no medication.
If I have a major hypo it will be approaching a miracle

No one is saying ALL diabetics ?

Insulin/Medication induced Hypoglycemia is more serious than a touch of the vapors

Aimed at insulin users or any other hypo inducing medication

If you take any drug that can alter your state of consistences need to report to DVLA

This Doc covers other conditions
http://www.dft.gov.uk/dvla/medical/~/media/pdf/medical/at_a_glance.ashx

Extracts from doc above

It is an offence to drive or attempt to drive whilst unfit through drugs; the law does not distinguish between illegal drugs
and medication.

You must inform DVLA
• If you develop problems with either the nerves or the circulation in your legs which prevent safe use of the foot
pedals.

If you refuse to stop driving or not report to DVLA your GP can

4. If you do not manage to persuade the patient to stop driving, or you discover that they are continuing to drive
against your advice, you should contact the DVLA immediately and disclose any relevant medical information,
in confidence, to the medical adviser.
5. Before contacting the DVLA you should try to inform the patient of your decision to disclose personal
information. You should then also inform the patient in writing once you have done so.”

HLW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The article linked to in the first post is just taking about make people with type 1 diabetes (I assume what they actually mean is people on insulin) test. And if you are on insulin, you get free test strips anyway.

calisto51

In response to the testing if your unfortunate and have an accident the police will look at all the evidence associated with that incident, that may include any tests of BG's before getting behind the wheel. My meter gives dates and times of tests, many don't, and also I wonder how would your insurance company use this information with regard to your claim. I have a friend who is in the insurance game and has had experienced this

popey

Dear all,

I would like to say how encouraged I am by the response to our campaign Test Before Driving at thepetitionsite.com. Reading the responses on this forum makes me realise that we can make it a law.

After the tragic death of my brother James, my family have suffered enormous grief but have also learned a lot about diabetes and how difficult it is to live with. That's why our campaign is about protecting all and not presecuting the few. We want to work with diabetics and to raise awareness.

We honestly feel that allthough Michael Dodd was rightly convicted of death by dangerous driving that he was let down by the DVLA, the medical authorities and the law. If he had known it was his legal obligation to test before driving as opposed to being advised to do so then he may well not be serving a three year prison and a five year driving ban at 21 years of age; whilst a 41 year old father, husband, son and brother would still be with us.

Below our campaign details is how this tragedy has impacted my life. Please help us with our campaign Test Before Driving at thepetitionsite.com

Many thanks

Adam
"I have dreamed twice about my brother James since he was traumatically wrenched from my life. On the second occasion it was the James I like to recall and remember. He was alive surrounded by family and friends. The effervescent, laugh-inducing entertainer, who was the archetypal larger than life character. The James I last saw alive cooking for us all on the barbecue in the garden of the lovely home he and Mel had created.

The first occasion was harrowing. He is dead. He is dead and I am sat in the car next to him. His lifeless yet unblemished body sat upright and motionless at the wheel of his car. My pleas for him to answer me are pointless as I know he was gone. His eyes are closed as if asleep whilst mine frantically search through the windscreen of his car for the face of the driver of the van which has killed him.

I have now seen the face I was searching for that dreadful night through a different glass- the one of a dock in a criminal court. Seeing Michael Dodd’s face has done nothing to help soothe the emotional devastation I have experienced since his actions took my only living brother from me.

The dreams are grief’s transient side-kick. The reality is far worse. It’s like having an unwanted Siamese twin of a shadow casting its darkness around me, tapping me on the shoulder reminding me of a huge emptiness in my life.

I no longer have a handsome giant of a brother to love nor for him to love me. No longer is the hulking six foot three guy who threw himself into work and projects, who adored his wife and son James, who will be remembered by my daughter for his lasagne and by my son for taking him to see Liverpool play Lazio. James was my friend and we rediscovered the closeness of our childhood and teens in the recent years before he was killed. We had a language all of our own, expressions of our own and 41 years all of our own. In that time we shared a bedroom, schools, football teams, music, clothes, friends and spectacularly fun times, arguments, sibling rivalry, despair and elation but most of all we always knew we were special to each other.

We created memories as two little boys and as two adults we shared those with our children. Now he has gone so has the essence of the special atmosphere created when we were together. Our language is gone, our jokes have gone, our spark has gone and the most hurtful aspect is that although the memories will always remain there is nothing I can ever do to create more special moments with him. The accident took James’s future and the one I had with him too.

I will always remember my wife Denise tearfully waiting to deliver the news of James’s death to me as soon as I came off air at 10pm on Thursday November12th 2009. As soon as she explained that he had been killed in a road accident, I knew he was not coming back. I knew he was gone forever, I knew it was no macabre mistake. Never once have I felt he would reappear. Such is the finality of death. Sadly there is no finality from the repercussions of the tragedy surrounding James’s passing.

In the time since James was killed I have suffered from anxiety, mood swings, guilt, erratic behaviour, an inability to feel joy, and generally de-sensitised. I am less tolerant of what I believe to be meaningless things, especially at work. This has been a burden carried willingly by my magnificent wife and our children who along with my sister |Jane, my mother, wider family and friends have all helped me carry on. I have a strong work ethic, just like James had, and I am proud that I have done much in the months since his passing to forge ahead with life and my career when I know many would have imploded. I am scarred for life but I am not beaten nor am I bowed for there is much to do.

Primarily the impact with my brother’s death has had on me is devastating loss and grief. But it also demands that I see justice done in the name of James. His life was expunged and with it many hopes and aspirations of others. The events surrounding his accident have given me a different perspective on life and have led me to understand more about the legal system and diabetes and how both processes affect people.

Michael Dodd had the ability to prevent me from having to write this statement. He had it within him to not have me stand next to my brother’s coffin in the packed church where he was christened and married and read out a heart wrenching eulogy to James. He had a choice to look after himself by taking his medication. He gambled by taking the wheel of a van and I along with many others lost. The price was my brother’s life, a wife without a husband, a son without a father, future children without a father, a mother, brother and sisters without their baby boy and nephews and nieces without Uncle James.

Since his passing I remember James in a variety of ways- with fondness for how great he could make me feel and with fury at some of the things he did in an eventful life. I ached angrily in court knowing he should be with us. I am filled with pride when I recall how he was turning his life around and I become tearful on other occasions like when I hear his bright voicemail message saying.

“Hi you’re through to James Pope, I can’t take your call at the moment but please leave your name and number and I will get back to you very shortly”

But he will never come back to me now."

mehdave

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Until you put in your suggestion it becomes law that all diabetics get strips and enough to test several times a day then I totally disagree with this idea. There is thankfully a good chance this nonsense wont become law though.

popey

Hi,

With regard to my brother's death the driver who is Type 1 tested himself using a digital device. The cost of testing was never raised as an issue.

To call this push for a law is not nonsense. Nor is standing next to my brother's coffin in a packed church.

Adam

Sue o2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Sorry for your loss Adam

Sue

mehdave

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
As a type 1 he will be entitled to free strips for the most part. Type 2 like me some of us are lucky enough to get free strips but most don't. And if they do they are limited. Even when on insulin or medication that may cause hypos.

Maybe you should take a look at how much these strips cost for allot of people for the "digital device" they still need 1 strip a test and at 14 quid average per 50 you can see now why cost might come into the issue and why some of us think this shouldn't be a law.

bowell

Dislikes
While I am sorry for your loss

Sounds like an evangelical Witch hunt ,just adding to diabetic problems
Think your banging your drum in the wrong Place ?

£14x 52 weeks =£728 per year for test strips and lancets
2.8 million UK diabetics x £728 = No chance with the Condems in Power

crystalyips

Popey states in his long and heart rending post that it is a legal requirement for diabetics to test their blood before getting into a car and driving.

I am a tad confused. Surely, if it is indeed a legal requirement,why is there a need for a petition to try and make it against the law to drive without testing?

Most people have enough conmon sense to test before they drive but as we all know there are times when our blood sugars drop like a stone and I do honestly wonder how good my hypo awareness would be whilst I was concentrating on driving.

I can't see how this law could be enforced. Apart from the police checking our glucose meters if they decide to pull us over there is no way at the moment that our testing methods prior to driving can be checked. In all my years of driving I have only been pulled over twice and thats despite the fact that I used to drive over 1000 miles a week.

I have problems with my eyesight so I have made the difficult decision of not driving until my sight stabilises. I can only hope that other people use their comnmon sense and test before they drive and always have some sweets or lucozade in the car when they do get behind the wheel.

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
crystalyips said:
Popey states in his long and heart rending post that it is a legal requirement for diabetics to test their blood before getting into a car and driving.

I am a tad confused. Surely, if it is indeed a legal requirement,why is there a need for a petition to try and make it against the law to drive without testing?

There is at present no legal requirement for any Diabetic to test Bg levels before driving. It is just a recommendation from the DVLA to do so........not enshrined in UK Law. However, the recommendations do have a bearing on any court case that may be instigated, circumstantial evidence which could add to the weight of evidence against a motorist.

However, the caveat is that In the interests of road safety you must be sure that you can safely control a motor vehicle at ALL times. Road Traffic Law. The choice is there for each individual to follow or not.

It therefore follows that if you are unfit to drive for whatever reason then you can be prosecuted. Depending on the circumstances that could be driving under the influence of drugs or alcohol, driving without due care and attention, dangerous driving or, worst case scenario......Causing Death by Dangerous Driving.

I think the majority of responsible Diabetic's are able to see the reasoning behind this and are more than willing to comply, using common sense. However, there will always be those who think.....why should I, others don't have to, it's ridiculous to test when you are just popping down the road, I know I'm Ok etc etc.......

Their choice. :|

Ka-Mon

Dislikes
Childish people who start childish arguments. KNOW-ALLS who claim they can help people to control their Diabetes without knowing their medical back ground.

BLINKERED people who think their way is the ONLY way.

Eating LOADS of SAT FATS. I HATE SAT FATS.

Did I mention I dislike KNOW-ALLS.

People desperate for attention and recognition.

People who get angry when they don't receive anything in return for helping others.
I think it's a great idea and fully agree that it should become law.

I have absolutely no understanding for anyone with any illness who is not fit enough to be in charge of a vehicle of any sort. People who refuse to check their blood sugar or refuse to accept that they are not fit enough to drive are in my opinion a menace on the road and not only danger their own lives but the lives of other innocent road users.

How would those who refuse to test before setting off will feel if they killed or hurt someone?

How would they feel if the person killed/hurt was a member of their own family?

Or do they think this sort of thing only happens to other people?

smidge

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Guys,

I think some of you are missing the key point - it is already law!!! When I was recently issued my restricted 3 year license because I use insulin, I had to sign the forms that said I will not drive with my BGs below 5.7 and will test prior to driving. That is the stipulation on me and other insulin-users holding a driving license. If i do not obey this, I am using the license outside of the restricted condition upon which it has been issued, i.e I would be driving illegally. Just as anyone would be driving illegally if they used any medication that affected their ability to concentrate and continued to drive - everyone has that restriction on them and it tells you that quite clearly on all such medication. We don't need another law - we just need people to obey the current one! Don't drink and drive, don't drive if you are taking any medication that makes you drowsy, do test before driving if you are on insulin and don't drive with your BGs below 5.7. Simples!

Smidge

Reactions: 2 people

bowell

Dislikes
Punishment for offenders is already in place :?:

Your already told to test before you drive.
When you receive your restricted 3 year license back from DVLA

Believe educate and inform would have more effect

Would it not be better to sort this out this first ? see quote

40% of insulin-treated drivers had NOT declared their condition to the DVLA.[65]
ref:
http://www.parliament.the-stationery-office.co.uk/pa/cm199900/cmselect/cmsctech/206/20605.htm

The Law will not stop the stupid ,,,. Only catch them

then
EU wishing to harmonise driver licensing regulations across the European Union