Upcoming Holidays Abroad

jimmysmith

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
So I've got a couple of holidays coming up; one to Denmark at the end of the month and one to Crete at the end of July.

My questions/worries are focused mainly on the airports. I know that my pump, Medtronic 640G, can't go through the x-ray machines or the full body scanners but am I read that they can go through the metal detectors?

Also I don't suppose anyone has flown from Stansted or Leeds and have any stories, be them horror stories or positive one, reading the Heathrow thread has made me fear the worst haha

D

Deleted Account

My pump has never travelleled through Stanstead or Leeds. But after more than 20 flights, it has only experienced one awkward moment. Even then, I grinned and bore it and tried to remain calm and polite.
My understanding (which I have checked with my diabetes team) is the pump is fine through the metal detector arch.
It is only x-ray which may cause a problem.
Probably a good idea to take a letter with you in case a jobs-worth tries to encourage you that loads of people with pumps (and pace makers ... they always mention pace makers) go through the body scanner without any problems.

Have a fantastic holiday ... and remember to take extra supplies and a backup plan in case you have pump problems.

jimmysmith

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My pump has never travelleled through Stanstead or Leeds. But after more than 20 flights, it has only experienced one awkward moment. Even then, I grinned and bore it and tried to remain calm and polite.
My understanding (which I have checked with my diabetes team) is the pump is fine through the metal detector arch.
It is only x-ray which may cause a problem.
Probably a good idea to take a letter with you in case a jobs-worth tries to encourage you that loads of people with pumps (and pace makers ... they always mention pace makers) go through the body scanner without any problems.

Have a fantastic holiday ... and remember to take extra supplies and a backup plan in case you have pump problems.

Thanks will keep on guard for that.

I've worked out how many set changes I need for each holiday and will take twice that amount, probably a bit extra for the Crete one. And I'll take my pens as well, just in case

Reactions: Kim Possible

sarah_chadwick

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have a pace maker and am not allowed through the scanners, I have ID to prove it, so i'm sure if you have ID for your diabetes then the pump will be fine to go trhough the metal detector.

briped

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
So I've got a couple of holidays coming up; one to Denmark
I'm not using insulin, but welcome to my little corner of the earth. I hope you have a smashing time, and that you encounter no problems with security. I shouldn't think you would, but just in case, do bring a doctors letter like @helensaramay says.

Chas C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
@jimmysmith no need to worry, mostly its us travellers getting exasperated by the way we sometimes get treated. Allow lots of time for security, just in case they want to do a full check on you. Take plenty of spares and have a great time on both your trips.

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
Hi @jimmysmith,
Please see my recent post just 5 minutes ago on the Type 1 forum page titled 'Holiday' asked by @ homer190376.
Have a great time !!

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
Just curious, does anyone know why you can't x-ray a pump?

Chas C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi @EllieM

Its a manufacturer thing - as far as I know all remote pump suppliers state that pumps must not be x-rayed or put through a body scanner mainly because they have never felt the need to test it themselves (being cynical).

The exception to the rule is the patch pumps like Omnipod - pretty sure I'd heard these can be worn in a body scanner and have been manufacturer approved as such, not sure if spares are allowed to be x-rayed (perhaps an Omnipod user could comment).

So the issue is - would you put your pump into an x-ray or body scanner with the knowledge that it might fail afterwards - would you take the risk. There are some that do but its one I'm not prepared to take.

Reactions: gemma_T1 and EllieM

fairylights

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
So I've got a couple of holidays coming up; one to Denmark at the end of the month and one to Crete at the end of July.

My questions/worries are focused mainly on the airports. I know that my pump, Medtronic 640G, can't go through the x-ray machines or the full body scanners but am I read that they can go through the metal detectors?

Also I don't suppose anyone has flown from Stansted or Leeds and have any stories, be them horror stories or positive one, reading the Heathrow thread has made me fear the worst haha

I have a 640g and I have just flown through Crete (Iraklion not Hania), I don't think that they have full body scanners - at least not in the gates that you have to go through if you are flying outwith the Schengen area - just the metal detector arches. I did set this off though and they just did a manual check then and there. It was no problem.

Reactions: gemma_T1

jimmysmith

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Went through Stansted yesterday and everything went okay. Explained to the staff about the pump, and my libre, showed them my letters and even offered to disconnect briefly so that I could go through the scanner. They said a manual search would be fine. So Stansted seems to be okay, which is good as I go through there the most.