Prediabetes Any Help Please

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I know. I only suggested it may be PIR if she is on a very low carb diet, and the best way to overcome this is to increase carbs very slightly until it goes away. It is often temporary.
Oh, so you mean increase across the board, not just first thing when fasting?

It is LADA that springs to my mind, perhaps because I think that is where I am heading, and there are many similarities between Birdwoman and me.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

It is LADA that springs to my mind, perhaps because I think that is where I am heading, and there are many similarities between Birdwoman and me.

Yes, that's what I meant, but it depends how low carb @Birdwoman is at the moment. It is normally very low carb (keto) when this can happen, although it only affects the base line. Actual rises from before to after eating are not affected. (although of course they may be higher than normal levels as they start higher)

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yes, that's what I meant, but it depends how low carb @Birdwoman is at the moment. It is normally very low carb (keto) when this can happen, although it only affects the base line. Actual rises from before to after eating are not affected. (although of course they may be higher than normal levels as they start higher)
I think she said somewhere <20 daily, which is about the same as me.

Birdwoman

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I know. I only suggested it may be PIR if she is on a very low carb diet, and the best way to overcome this is to increase carbs very slightly until it goes away. It is often temporary.

I had 1egg, bacon and tomato this morning and the tomato seem to make a slight difference, I got up at 07:43 at 112, 1 hour after having had breakfast I was 129, 2 hours later I was coming down a bit at 124. Still not very good but starting to come down 1 hour sooner!

Thanks for you help, at least your ideas seem to be working. So you think now I should have a few more carbs at lunch time?

Edited to say I am on about 20 carbs a day.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for you help, at least your ideas seem to be working. So you think now I should have a few more carbs at lunch time?

I don't know, it is trial and error. You need to experiment (use a food diary) as there is no sense in upping the carbs unnecessarily. See what happens today. Those levels are in range - and don't forget there is a 15% meter tolerance.

Birdwoman

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
You might need to eat a little carb in the morning if you are like me - without carbs my BG goes on rising all morning and then drops sharply in late afternoon. A few carb stops the rise.
Do you need to stay as low as 20 gm?

I did have a tomato with my breakfast this morning and it did start bring down my BG's 1 hour earlier than yesterday, so I will keep at it. Also Bluetit thinks I should have a few more carbs at each meal until it comes down, so I will try this too but when it comes down a bit, just carry on with more at breakfast. See how it goes, maybe I can have a few more full stop.

Thanks for your help

Birdwoman

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I don't know, it is trial and error. You need to experiment (use a food diary) as there is no sense in upping the carbs unnecessarily. See what happens today. Those levels are in range - and don't forget there is a 15% meter tolerance.

As Breakfast seemed to start getting things better, I will try a few more carbs at lunch time as it would be good if my body could cope with a little bit more variety.

Thanks for your help

Reactions: Bluetit1802

Birdwoman

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I too have that problem so hope you get some helpful answers. I stopped having a third meal, just breakfast and lunch, and even that didn't help.

I might have found my ideal breakfast! I have tried - 2eggs, bacon and tomato. Greek yogurt and cream with a good helping of Cinnamon. Greek yogurt, cream and walnuts. Goats cheese and walnuts. But this morning I had 1 soft boiled egg with a good knob of butter and 2 brazil nuts, tea with cream - FBG - 115. 1 hour after breakfast - 117. 2 hours after breakfast - 116!!! With the other breakfasts I have gone into late 120's up to mid 130's from the same starting point.

Reactions: Alison Campbell

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I might have found my ideal breakfast! I have tried - 2eggs, bacon and tomato. Greek yogurt and cream with a good helping of Cinnamon. Greek yogurt, cream and walnuts. Goats cheese and walnuts. But this morning I had 1 soft boiled egg with a good knob of butter and 2 brazil nuts, tea with cream - FBG - 115. 1 hour after breakfast - 117. 2 hours after breakfast - 116!!! With the other breakfasts I have gone into late 120's up to mid 130's from the same starting point.
Very interesting. I notice that the successful breakfast was much smaller than the other, and I wonder if that was a factor.

Birdwoman

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Very interesting. I notice that the successful breakfast was much smaller than the other, and I wonder if that was a factor.

It might have been but when I had a small piece of goats cheese and a few walnut halves and another day greek yogurt and cream, they are not very big breakfasts either, so I don't know. I buy a big 1kg tub of greek yogurt and just have a couple of spoon fulls of it.

When I had the eggs and bacon, we had been out the day before and had dinner at lunchtime, where as we normally eat in the evening so I was quite hungry. It all seems a lottery to me.

Thanks

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It might have been but when I had a small piece of goats cheese and a few walnut halves and another day greek yogurt and cream, they are not very big breakfasts either, so I don't know. I buy a big 1kg tub of greek yogurt and just have a couple of spoon fulls of it.

When I had the eggs and bacon, we had been out the day before and had dinner at lunchtime, where as we normally eat in the evening so I was quite hungry. It all seems a lottery to me.

Thanks
Indeed! And a lottery where all the prizes are negative eg NOT getting one's feet cut off! However it will be interesting to see if a repeat of the meal gives a repeat reading.

Birdwoman

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Indeed! And a lottery where all the prizes are negative eg NOT getting one's feet cut off! However it will be interesting to see if a repeat of the meal gives a repeat reading.

Yes, I will try the same again in the morning and see what happens.

Best wishes

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

Let's hope this works on subsequent testing as well. Did you count the carbs in each of your experiments? Maybe the egg and brazil nuts had less?

Birdwoman

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Let's hope this works on subsequent testing as well. Did you count the carbs in each of your experiments? Maybe the egg and brazil nuts had less?

Yes, your right they did have slightly less carbs. Thanks for pointing that out, I had not noticed that. I thought they were all about the same carbs. I was trying to see if a little bit of carbs were better for me in the morning but it does not look that way.

This morning was a bit mixed. FBG 108. Same breakfast as yesterday-1 boiled egg with butter and 2 brazil nuts, tea with cream - 1hour later - 117. 2hours later - 118. 3hours later - 111. Today I started off with lower FBG than yesterday but then rose to near on the same as yesterdays figures at the 1hour mark and 2 hour marks. Still better than the figures had been rising to though.

Thanks

Reactions: Bluetit1802