Nhs Annual Review.

Falkirk_airs

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I was diagnosed Type 2 at end of May last year, Can anyone tell me if the Doctors surgery contacts you re annual review or if you make an appointment with the nurse yourself?

britishpub

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It will vary between different GP's

Does this mean you haven't have regular checks and appointments over the last 12 months since diagnosis ?

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
They should be calling for you. If not, chivvy them along, you are entitled to regular blood tests, eye screening and foot check ups.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I was diagnosed Type 2 at end of May last year, Can anyone tell me if the Doctors surgery contacts you re annual review or if you make an appointment with the nurse yourself?

Were you given medications?

The general rule is a 3 month review and blood test initially, changing to 6 monthly, and then to annually when both blood glucose and medications are stable. You should have retinal eye screening once a year, and a foot check with a nurse/podiatrist every year.

Are you saying you have had none of these?

dancer

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hopefully you have had all the checks you should have since diagnosis.
My brother's practice has changed his annual review to his birthday. I've heard of other practices doing this too.

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
As with all things NHS, being a bit pro-active is usually a good idea, after all they have thousands of patients to deal with, you only have one. If in doubt about appointments give them a call or better still register to view things on-line

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hopefully you have had all the checks you should have since diagnosis.
My brother's practice has changed his annual review to his birthday. I've heard of other practices doing this too.

Strange you should say that. I was diagnosed May 17 and had two to three monthly checks til Feb this year. He then said come back in six months, so August which happens to be my birthday month. I wonder if that’s why he plumped for August?

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
My surgery has always used the month of my birthday. It is their protocol to do this for all patients that require annual blood tests/reviews/health checks. It was explained to me years ago when I first started having the over 60 health checks. It makes sense in that it evens out with similar numbers of reviews/health checks each month. My birthday is December and I have 6 monthly blood tests - December and June.

hankjam

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

Give them a call and ask what the plan is. There should be one and if there isn't get one started.
In NE Fife I get a eye and bloods done once a year with a letter appointment for each.

Smallbrit

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
With my GP, it used to be automatic and you'd get a letter with time of blood test and time of follow-up appointment with diabetic nurse.

Then the DN retired and GP took over and it's been chaos ever since. I now have to call to make the appointment, and it isn't standard for them to offer me a follow-up appointment. So I forgot. And then when I called back, I had to argue my case for why I needed one (actually because the GP told me I did). I assume that means they now give people tests and make them call for results and that's it. I assume if the results were panic-inducing they might show some more initiative. But then again, maybe they wouldn't....

Falkirk_airs

Type of diabetes
Type 2
It will vary between different GP's

Does this mean you haven't have regular checks and appointments over the last 12 months since diagnosis ?
Have had nothing since diagnoses, saw practice nurse, then eye review, and Expert self management course , but blood glucose
HBA1C not checked since June last year

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Should say it wasn't too bad, HBA1c was 51, and not on meds, diet controlled only

You should have been called in before now, so I suggest you give the surgery a ring and ask for a full T2 diabetes review. You are obviously on the T2 Care Pathway because of having had the eye screening and X-Pert course, but you need to chase up a review. It is unusual not to have a 3 month or 6 month one.

Reactions: dbr10

jos64

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Just had my first 3 month review after being diagnosed in February. The nurse called me with my results.

When diagnosed my hba1c was 98 and my weight was 96.7 kg with a bmi of 32. So all in all a fat unfit git.

My results today are : hba1c down to 38, my weight is 86.3 kg and my bmi is 29.

Thank all of you on this forum, without the advice and support of you guys I would never have been able to get these results. As you can imagine I’m over the moon

Next steps is to come off metformin and see if I can use my diet only to manage my bg.

All the newbies out there take some advice from the experienced people on this forum. I know we are all different but there are words of wisdom that can build up to how best you look after your self.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Just had my first 3 month review after being diagnosed in February. The nurse called me with my results.

When diagnosed my hba1c was 98 and my weight was 96.7 kg with a bmi of 32. So all in all a fat unfit git.

My results today are : hba1c down to 38, my weight is 86.3 kg and my bmi is 29.

Thank all of you on this forum, without the advice and support of you guys I would never have been able to get these results. As you can imagine I’m over the moon

Next steps is to come off metformin and see if I can use my diet only to manage my bg.

All the newbies out there take some advice from the experienced people on this forum. I know we are all different but there are words of wisdom that can build up to how best you look after your self.
Great news well done.. think you need your own entry in the success stories area.

LucyL 2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Diagnosed with T2 in January, I have had to chase my surgery up for everything. My doctor forgot to refer me for the Expert course, until I phoned and asked the surgery when I was going. I didn't even know they had a DN until the lady leading the course told me they had one. Another phonecall to get to see her, back in May before my hols. Blood test last week and just waiting for results. I see her again next week for those. She at least has referred me for the eye check coming up in August. She did apaologise that the doc hadn't referred me on to her, but did tell me Expert had emailed her and asked why she hadn't seen me. Everyone else on the Expert course had had follow up visits with their DN etc, etc except for one other lady and me..same practice. I understood there were NICE guidelines set out for care of diabetic patients. It is pretty bad that all surgeries don't follow them.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I understood there were NICE guidelines set out for care of diabetic patients. It is pretty bad that all surgeries don't follow them.

Yes, there is a care pathway that all surgeries are supposed to follow. Mine does, to the very letter. Some on this forum find the opposite. If one surgery can do it, why can't they all? It is all computerised these days, with the computer systems set up for alerts to refer people here and there. I actually blame Practice Managers for much of the chaos.

@LucyL 2 I advise you to ring up and ask for print outs of your blood test results. You are entitled to these, and you will find it more than useful to know what's on them before you see the nurse. This gives you chance to ask questions on here, and prepare better for your appointment.

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The diabetic nurse we see usually tells us when to book our next blood test when we see her for blood results and review .

LucyL 2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I had joined the surgery website hoping to get the results there..but they don't support showing test results. Anyway...went to see DN this morning and she was very pleased with me. HbA1c down to 49 from 74, weight, Tryglycerides,Total chol all down! Yay! Looks like I am doing something right. 8kgs lost since Jan..2 more to go to get my 10% target loss. BMI still high tho, but am working on it.

Reactions: dbr10