My Low Carb Story

Phill 2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I had put ‘this in the type 2 forum but I feel it would be better here

Been on here a while but never posted.
I have had type 2 diabetes for around 20 years control just got worse as time went on I was up to 9 tablets a day doctor said if we can’t get it under control insulin is the next step. So the wife said again why don’t you try that low carb diet, and again I said no, I just love my carbs, anyway got up one morning and decided to try it big time went from 500 plus carbs a day to 20 or below, then spent the next 3 weeks feeling terrible went to doctors after first week because I felt so bad told him I had started the diet and he seemed pleased he weighed me I I had lost nearly half a stone in less than a week my blood pressure had dropped so he stopped one of my tablets, so I thought just keep at it now how bad I felt, anyway to the point I am now on 3 tablets a day I don’t take any tablets for blood pressure now and at last I’m starting to feel better, blood sugars are normal 5.5 ish and I hope to stop tablets altogether so if you are thinking about doing the low carb just do it but it is not easy at first but you will get there

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Brilliant results and I'm hoping that you don't feel terrible any more?

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
That is brilliant news @Phill 2
Well done!

Just as a quick comment, I see you have been posting your story in several places on the forum.
We usually find it best not to double up on posts or threads, because we end up with parallel conversations all over the place.

But I do want to congratulate you on your excellent progress and welcome you to the forum. You must feel so much better now you have reduced your medication.

Phill 2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Excellent news.. on another matter is that Barry Sheens bike in your avatar pic?

Yes it’s Barry Sheens 1977 rg500 next to it 1976 rg500 got his autograph standing next to that very bike outside his little caravan he is one of my hero’s

Phill 2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
On a side note got told off for touching the bike but when I saw it there was no stopping me taken 2017 at Stafford classic bike show

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Fantastic effort! Well done.

Phill 2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Woke up this morning feeling rough and a pain in my lower back left handside bloods were 7.5 highest I have had since going on my low carb diet eat really well so don’t know why

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Woke up this morning feeling rough and a pain in my lower back left handside bloods were 7.5 highest I have had since going on my low carb diet eat really well so don’t know why

Pain, illness and stress can elevate blood sugars aswell as diet. Any idea what’s causing the pain?

Phill 2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
No but think it’s just my back suffer with it a lot it just seemed a bit more tender this morning going to do my bloods now hope they are ok not had anything since breakfast and that was a round of toast only time I have bread now

Del253

I had put ‘this in the type 2 forum but I feel it would be better here

Been on here a while but never posted.
I have had type 2 diabetes for around 20 years control just got worse as time went on I was up to 9 tablets a day doctor said if we can’t get it under control insulin is the next step. So the wife said again why don’t you try that low carb diet, and again I said no, I just love my carbs, anyway got up one morning and decided to try it big time went from 500 plus carbs a day to 20 or below, then spent the next 3 weeks feeling terrible went to doctors after first week because I felt so bad told him I had started the diet and he seemed pleased he weighed me I I had lost nearly half a stone in less than a week my blood pressure had dropped so he stopped one of my tablets, so I thought just keep at it now how bad I felt, anyway to the point I am now on 3 tablets a day I don’t take any tablets for blood pressure now and at last I’m starting to feel better, blood sugars are normal 5.5 ish and I hope to stop tablets altogether so if you are thinking about doing the low carb just do it but it is not easy at first but you will get there
That's amazing phill congrats

I now want to try and cut out carbs.. I'm new to this forum but I've been diabetic over 15 years.. you are one of the few I've read and inspired me to know their is hope and success in improvements.. I have never taken care of my self but always brought the best out of others. Thanks for sharing your story

Reactions: Prem51

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Well done on going lchf and reducing your blood glucose (and weight). Some people do feel unwell at first as their bodies experience withdrawal symptoms from not getting the carb fix. It's called carb flu but usually gets better after a couple of weeks.

And welcome to the forum @Del253!

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I really appreciate your effort man! I think low carbs would not only help you to fight against diabetes and would maintain your sugar and insulin levels but it is very effective to control hunger and craving problems. My uncle who is a heart patient for many years but due to low carb diet, he always looks fit and healthy. Low carbs diet is also good for heart patients.

Mal37

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Social situations
Getting there now thanks but it has taken nearly 4 weeks just done my bloods 4.8 happy with that
WOW and big congratulations! Very impressive after all those years of suffering too. Well done!