New Infusion Site - Retest Basal?

Colin of Kent

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
After using only my buttocks for infusion for about ten years, I'm planning on switching to using my abdomen exclusively. Should I consider retesting my basal rates? I would imagine it would only affect the rate of absorption, not the amount required, but I defer to the experience of others...

scotteric

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
After using only my buttocks for infusion for about ten years, I'm planning on switching to using my abdomen exclusively. Should I consider retesting my basal rates? I would imagine it would only affect the rate of absorption, not the amount required, but I defer to the experience of others...
It can definitely affect your basal rates, but I would just wait it out and see if you're running higher first. Do you have a CGM or Libre? Those devices make it way easier to determine what your basal needs are without going through any testing procedures.

Reactions: deborabaratto

Colin of Kent

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
It can definitely affect your basal rates, but I would just wait it out and see if you're running higher first. Do you have a CGM or Libre? Those devices make it way easier to determine what your basal needs are without going through any testing procedures.
I just got a Nightrider, actually, which I'm using with xDrip+.

Thank you, I will keep a close eye on things.

scotteric

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I just got a Nightrider, actually, which I'm using with xDrip+.

Thank you, I will keep a close eye on things.
Perfect. Ive never felt a need to do true "basal testing" with a CGM. I just make adjustments based on the CGM data, which I think is more valuable anyway.