Some Good News And Some (more!) Questions

rhubarb73

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
aubergine
Today was the first day since I was diagnosed that I've genuinely felt good about myself. A couple of days ago, thanks to a recommendation on this forum, I downloaded the MySugr app to my phone. I uploaded all my test data over the past couple of weeks. Today the app gave me my first estimated HBa1C reading.
It's an estimate only but I understand it is quite accurate for others. The reading was 5.5%, or 37 mmol (if I've converted right).
My diagnosis on 14 May was at HBa1c of 66.
I've only been on Metformin for a week or so, so this is the effect of diet and exercise. I'm chuffed. I know it's early days but for the first time I'm feeling confident that I can get on top of this.

I have a couple more questions - thanks to those really helpful answers I've had to the previous ones:

When to test post meal:
I've seen advice that says 1-2 hours, and no less than 2 hours. How long after 2 hours is too long to get an accurate post meal reading?

What is a spike?
I've heard people talking about spikes in BGL caused by certain foods. What constitutes a spike? 0.5-1.0 increase? 1-2? or more than that? No sure what I should be looking out for?

Thanks for all the advice and support. Amazing forum that has made a big difference to me and my state of mind over a short period of time.

Last edited:

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
We tend to check 2 hrs after the first bite. You can check 1 HR after if you want to.

The reading on mySugr can be changed in the settings.

The estimate is based on the data entered so far. Don't be disappointed if it rises a bit.

I found it highly motivating.

We aim to have a rise of no more than 2 after eating, after 2 hrs. More than that means either too many carbs or the portion size was too big.

Your doing great, give yourself a pat on the back!

Reactions: rhubarb73

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Sorry, forgot to mention the spike. You'll know it when you see it. You take a reading 2 hrs after a meal and you say "WHAT"!!!

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Sorry again, sometimes I am out shopping, I can't always test exactly 2 hrs after eating. I test as soon as I can.

On the one hand, I don't sweat it. On the other hand, you want to know your numbers as accurately as possible. Try to keep to the 2hrs as often as possible.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
What is a spike?
I've heard people talking about spikes in BGL caused by certain foods. What constitutes a spike? 0.5-1.0 increase? 1-2? or more than that? No sure what I should be looking out for?

Initially, when still newly diagnosed and learning about food choices, a spike is anything over 2mmol/l from before to the 2 hour mark. However, it is preferable to be less than this - the flatter the better, but that may take a while to achieve. It should also be remembered that the 2 hour level is highly unlikely to be the peak of the rise. Peaks can happen before or after 2 hours depending on many factors.