About to start on Insulin: What to expect?

Jenny15

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Jazz music, science denial, and running out of coffee.
Hello all. I'm about to start on insulin in about a week's time. I explain why at another thread I wrote (having trouble adding the link here sorry).

I have no idea what it will feel like or what to expect, so will be reading this subforum closely. If you have any advice or suggestions that would be great. I'm familiar with giving injections as I have cared for someone else in the past. I'm not worried about any discomfort (I find fingerprick testing more painful). I'm guessing my GP will put me on a long-acting insulin like Lantus (things are done differently here in New Zealand. Your GP handles most things, not a nurse). I will look into anything I need to know as a car driver.

I will report back here after I see my GP, too. Thanks for your help.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I have no idea what it will feel like or what to expect
The most remarkable thing I found after starting insulin is how quickly I got used to it. And regarding driving: test very often as long as your still finding out what the insulin does to your bg, test moderately often after you think you get it, as diabetes can be unpredictable at times.

Reactions: Sani Thomas

Jenny15

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
My GP was happy to prescribe Lantus and arrange for me to see the diabetes nurse in the medical centre for assistance. I am relieved he didn't put up a fight.

Once my fasting BG is under 7.0, the nurse and I will discuss the merits of short acting insulin at mealtimes. I am keen on the idea because I've read excellent advice about it here:

http://www.phlaunt.com/diabetes/15478720.php

I am open to the idea that Lantus will provide a lot of help in a reasonable time frame but if it doesn't, I may go back to discuss short acting insulin. We shall see.

My goals:
-Fasting BG <7.0
-HbA1c <42
-Reduce Metformin from 1500mg to 1000mg to stop the diarrhoea. Reduce further if possible.
-Lose weight
-Be healthier
-Feel better

I won't settle for less than that. Wish me luck!

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
Good luck! Sounds like you have done your research and have clear goals so you should be soon track in no time.

Reactions: dbr10

Jenny15

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
I had a good session with the diabetes nurse and have had my first dose of Lantus at 4pm today. It's nearly 7pm now. I ate dinner at 530pm as usual.

I'm not hypo - I tested just now and was 11.7, plus I know Lantus wouldn't cause a hypo just like that, if at all (in most circumstances). I'm aware there's a tiny chance of hitting a vein but let's face it, I'm overweight so I doubt that's going to happen.

I feel pretty woozy though. I'm sure my body will adjust in time. I'd rather go through a few days or even weeks of this if it helps me get my health back. My guess is that my body is sensitive to pretty much any hormone or drug I put in it, lol. I have a number of other medical conditions and if there's a side effect going, I get it.

My first dose was 10u, and the plan is to increase it by 1u every 3 days, while keeping in touch with the nurse.

My fasting BG today was 9.5
Pre dinner BG: 10.5
+1: 11.5

One thing the nurse mentioned was that since my fasting BG was 9.5 and my HbA1c was 74, that 9.5 seemed relatively low for that A1c. She thinks I'm having bigger than normal post meal spikes.

This could help my case if I need to beg for short acting insulin later, I think.

Jenny15

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
The initial feelings of wooziness and mild confusion have reduced a lot after 7 hours. I still feel different to "normal for me" but it's not interfering with anything I'm trying to do, like it was before. I went and had a lie down for a while and it came right.

Yes, confusion. I was cooking a pizza for my flatmate, got it all ready for the oven, and promptly opened the fridge door as if to put the pizza in there to cook.:joyful: I've never done that before. We both laughed about it.

Glad I wasn't trying to work or drive tonight. (I am "medically retired" due to other health problems I have). I'm just taking things quietly.

BGs today
Fasting 9.5
Pre dinner: 10.5
+1: 11.7
+2: 9.6

I don't have any routine to my BG testing for now and mainly just checked it because I felt woozy. Will try to do at least a fasting test daily, and of course before driving. (I only do short trips around town now and then.)

Jenny15

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Day 2 on Lantus. Fasting BG 11.1

I think Day 1's fasting BG was wrong due to an expired test strip. My Day 3 result should confirm this.

On Day 1 it was 8.5. At the nurse's clinic I was given a new pot of test strips, so tested at the same time using an expired one and a new one.

Expired strip: 9.5
New strip: 10.5

So I extrapolated that if I added 1.0 to my fasting BG it would be correct (at 9.5). But I now believe it probably varies from strip to strip, so any results are meaningless. The strips had been expired >12 months.

So, I only have one day's worth of accurate fasting BGs. Will let you know tomorrow. I predict 11.1 or 11.0.

Still feel a bit unwell but soldiering on.

h884

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I can understand your apprehension about starting insulin. That was me last September. You may well find that your body reacts to having a lower blood sugar. That will settle.

Reactions: Jenny15

Jenny15

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
I can understand your apprehension about starting insulin. That was me last September. You may well find that your body reacts to having a lower blood sugar. That will settle.
Thank you. So far it's too early to see any BG reduction but I am looking forward to it so much! I did have a reaction to Lantus on the first day, which has lessened each day since. It made me feel a bit woozy, almost like being slightly "tiddly" after a sip of wine (I am a very cheap date, LOL).

Jenny15

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes

I think Day 1's fasting BG was wrong due to an expired test strip. My Day 3 result should confirm this.

On Day 1 it was 8.5. At the nurse's clinic I was given a new pot of test strips, so tested at the same time using an expired one and a new one.

So I extrapolated that if I added 1.0 to my fasting BG it would be correct (at 9.5). But I now believe it probably varies from strip to strip, so any results are meaningless. The strips had been expired >12 months.

So, I only have one day's worth of accurate fasting BGs. Will let you know tomorrow. I predict 11.1 or 11.0.

OK, scratch what I said above about my fasting BGs. I've now realised that while I'm eating a bit more some evenings than others it will affect this. I will need to get more consistent about it.

Day 1 - 9.5
Day 2 - 11.1
Day 3 - 8.8

I will tone down the carbs at dinner and supper tonight. (I need to eat a littel snack before bed because my insomnia is so bad that if I feel hungry, I can't settle and get to sleep. I can make this snack LCHF though. Have tried everything for insomnia and waiting for a new medical breakthrough.)

Jenny15

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Still feeling a little bit woozy/fatigued for the evening after I have my Lantus injection. Still think it's an adjustment thing and probably will reduce when my BGs reduce. It's possible Lantus doesn't suit me, so if anyone has any ideas on that issue I'd like to learn more.

Fasting BGs
Day 1 - 9.5
Day 2 - 11.1
Day 3 - 8.8
Day 4 - 11.2

When I see them as a list like that it's a bit disappointing. Will have to plan my evenings better so I only have a small low carb snack at supper. This week I've been exhausted from symptoms and all the appointments and trips out to get supplies and so on. Really wish I had tackled this a few months ago when I had more energy.

Oh well. There's no point dwelling on what I can't change. Onward!

skph

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I was using Lantus long reacting type too. Follow by Metformin 850mg x 2, Linagliptin 5mg x 1, Losartan 5mg x 1.

That was 2 weeks back.

Now I'm on a different medication.

Low carbs diet (adaptation of Ketogenic Diet) and Water Fasting.

Lost 10kg within 1 month.

Mental alertness 100%.
Physical strength back to when I was before T2DM.
Feel lighter.
Reduction in waistline.
Agility improved.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I was using Lantus long reacting type too. Follow by Metformin 850mg x 2, Linagliptin 5mg x 1, Losartan 5mg x 1.

That was 2 weeks back.

Now I'm on a different medication.

Low carbs diet (adaptation of Ketogenic Diet) and Water Fasting.

Lost 10kg within 1 month.

Mental alertness 100%.
Physical strength back to when I was before T2DM.
Feel lighter.
Reduction in waistline.
Agility improved.

What is your new medication, @skph , if you don't mind me asking?

Reactions: NaijaChick

skph

Type of diabetes
Type 2
It's actually not a meds but rather a low carb diet and Water Fasting.

skph

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I'm loosing body fat as fuel and on the verge of total liver and pancreas revival.

S

Sani Thomas

I feel a bit uncomfortable about your expired test strips. If you want to be in control, you need to have correct values of BG. Please, get yourself some proper strips, please...

S

Sani Thomas

Still feeling a little bit woozy/fatigued for the evening after I have my Lantus injection. Still think it's an adjustment thing and probably will reduce when my BGs reduce. It's possible Lantus doesn't suit me, so if anyone has any ideas on that issue I'd like to learn more.

Fasting BGs
Day 1 - 9.5
Day 2 - 11.1
Day 3 - 8.8
Day 4 - 11.2

When I see them as a list like that it's a bit disappointing. Will have to plan my evenings better so I only have a small low carb snack at supper. This week I've been exhausted from symptoms and all the appointments and trips out to get supplies and so on. Really wish I had tackled this a few months ago when I had more energy.

Oh well. There's no point dwelling on what I can't change. Onward!
The slow release insulin address only your basal lever glucose, secreted by the liver. Since you don't use rapid acting insulin, the carbs you eat are not paired with insulin, which to me explains why the levels are still high.
Like you I started slow acting insulin while waiting for blood result to determine if I was T1 or T2. As soon as the result showed I was T2, I started rapid acting insulin and stopped all meds but metformin. For a first time in a long time I see considerable improvement. Still in adjustment period and learning since all this developed since March.
Initially I felt hungry and shaky all the time. It is better now, but as soon as I get involved in physical activity, I start shaking. What I've noticed though, I feel that way when my Bg is above 10. Not too often now. I have some time to HBA1C test which will show the average.
The link you posted is really good and described me to a dot how I felt about starting insulin. But now I am happy about it. I feel I have better control over my BG and what's more, I don't have to be so strict with carbohydrates. I can have cake at my grandchildren's birthdays, ice-cream etc.
My next plan is to learn how much insulin I need per unit of carbs. This will allow me to have normal meals and better control. After all it is about quality of life. All these no carbs diets scare me witless.

NikkieDuranie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks for sharing this Jenny, it is really interesting to follow. Out of interest (I am new to this) what are the reasons for a type 2 to be on insulin? Hope you don't mind me asking x

S

Sani Thomas

Thanks for sharing this Jenny, it is really interesting to follow. Out of interest (I am new to this) what are the reasons for a type 2 to be on insulin? Hope you don't mind me asking x
Generally T2 is when there body resists the insulin released by the pancreas. What is called insulin resistance. This matter be on its own or accompanied by reduced production of insulin. At some point the pancreas produces very little or almost no insulin, hence the need to add it to the treatment.
Not everyone with T2 will need insulin, but some information I've seen suggests that most T2, given enough time will need to start insulin.