How Long Does It Take After A Hypo For You To Feel Better

mytype1.life

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Still having problems as stayed at 3.4 after eating took honey which lifted it to 4.0 now feeling bad again and am thinking I will have to see my doctor or nurse as this is the third day of feeling bad - Monday and Tuesday were horrendous felt bad all day both days least today I have had a period of being okay.

Make sure if you are hypoing and not due to eat a meal you have fast acting carbs plus a snack to keep your levels maintained.
Is honey your main hypo treatment?

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
There is something referred to as the rebound effect from having too much of a hypo treatment, I would put glucose and honey in this list.
Sometimes you have to, especially in an emergency.
But it you start feeling like you are dropping, just have a few carbs to just kick you out of Hypoglycaemia levels. Test, Then test after fifteen minutes, then if you have gone up to normal blood levels or above, have a small low carb meal, to stabilise your blood glucose levels. If not treat it with something quick acting and sugary, test again after fifteen minutes, eat something low carb. The fluctuating bloods will make you feel horrible. That is not good!

Best wishes

Reactions: Sani Thomas

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
bloods down to 2.3 so taken 2 x dextrose tablets

Yes and check your blood glucose levels after fifteen minutes to ensure you have come out of hypo levels. You need to speak to a GP, or go the hospital.
You are not right!

The Mods

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yes and check your blood glucose levels after fifteen minutes to ensure you have come out of hypo levels. You need to speak to a GP, or go the hospital.
You are not right!
I have only started to have a hypo this week and things are going crazy dropping madly and only started treating yesterday and still bloods keep dropping. Have managed thanks to two dextrose tablets to he back up from 2.3 to 2. . Could feel sugars dropping so took dextrose which I got earlier. Usually tend to have hypers hence the query on here re hypos

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I have only started to have a hypo this week and things are going crazy dropping madly and only started treating yesterday and still bloods keep dropping. Have managed thanks to two dextrose tablets to he back up from 2.3 to 2. . Could feel sugars dropping so took dextrose which I got earlier. Usually tend to have hypers hence the query on here re hypos
You should not be that low!
There is definitely something going on.
Test again, and if you are still in Hypoglycaemia, you need to do something about it.
Contact your doctor or go the hospital.

Best wishes

The Mods

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
sorry should say 2. 7 and is now up to 2.8 am hating the lack of brain function and my eyes out of focus could do without this especially as typing is murder

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Have something quick acting like a sugary drink, just to get you up.
Please do something like ring your surgery.

skph

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I had never got below 5 mmol/l.

But in any case you better immediately drink any sweet drink to boost it up to a safe range.

Then go consult your doctor asap.

If you got no change in your diet or exercise or any other possible change, seek your doctor immediately.

If for me, I would guess either you have too much insulin injected or something else that caused it.

Do you have any other times like above 7 or even 10? I'm still not sure if our body can swing from these ranges by itself or by our own doings. It's still pretty much a mystery.

skph

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Still having problems as stayed at 3.4 after eating took honey which lifted it to 4.0 now feeling bad again and am thinking I will have to see my doctor or nurse as this is the third day of feeling bad - Monday and Tuesday were horrendous felt bad all day both days least today I have had a period of being okay.

Honey I think have a low GI.

You should take a coke or soft drink or sugar water.

The Mods

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I had never got below 5 mmol/l.

But in any case you better immediately drink any sweet drink to boost it up to a safe range.

Then go consult your doctor asap.

If you got no change in your diet or exercise or any other possible change, seek your doctor immediately.

If for me, I would guess either you have too much insulin injected or something else that caused it.

Do you have any other times like above 7 or even 10? I'm still not sure if our body can swing from these ranges by itself or by our own doings. It's still pretty much a mystery.

I had hypos for three days going down as low as 2.3 managing to get up to 4.2 after eating 12 jelly babies (shall never be able to look another jelly baby in the face). The next day woke to a reading of 4.4 and tried to see my doctor but couldn't get in but got a call back his advice cut down on the gliclazide so did that and bloods sky rocketed to 14.8 two hours after a normal breakfast. So took the tablet I missed out. Took two weeks of bloods jumping about from high to low and back again to get, this week, back to normality. Felt absolutely dead for two weeks physically and mentally. Had an appointment with the diabetic nurse this week and am back again for a more through check in four weeks. Normally my bloods are within what they should be though at the high end or slightly high. Never had them dipping so low or yo-yoing about. Checking my bloods anytime I feel "different" physically so I can counteract any abnormalities

Reactions: Sani Thomas

skph

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Honestly, I never had any time my readings below 5 mmol/l.

It's always ranging from 8 to 23 mmol/l thought my entire experience as a T2DM sufferer.

Now I adopt a low carb diet and Water Fasting. Weight is coming down from 107kg to now 98kg and still going down. It's just about 1 month since.

My blood glucose is still pretty high 8 to 17 mmol/l.

I figure that after 30 years of suppression by the drugs, it need time to restore to its original state. Prior to the start of my problem, been overloading carbs until my body can't take it anymore. Then it develops insulin resistance. And that started the whole thing.

As for your case, it seems to me the drug is doing a way too good job. But once you stop one time, the glucose shot high. That proves you are in the right track on the meds. But not necessary gonna help you in the long run.

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.

It's always ranging from 8 to 23 mmol/l thought my entire experience as a T2DM sufferer.

Now I adopt a low carb diet and Water Fasting. Weight is coming down from 107kg to now 98kg and still going down. It's just about 1 month since.

I figure that after 30 years of suppression by the drugs, it need time to restore to its original state. Prior to the start of my problem, been overloading carbs until my body can't take it anymore. Then it develops insulin resistance. And that started the whole thing.

As for your case, it seems to me the drug is doing a way too good job. But once you stop one time, the glucose shot high. That proves you are in the right track on the meds. But not necessary gonna help you in the long run.

I find it quite concerning that you have stopped taking insulin when your blood glucose levels are still this high - has your doctor agreed to this ? Any changes to medication should be following your doctor's advice.

The Mods

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

The Mods

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have omitted taking gliclazide before usually as I have been busy and forgotten but that was two tablets just deleting one tablet wasnt good this time though (I take two gliclazdide 80 mg twice a day plus 1000mg metform twice a day and 5mg plus 5mg trajenta once a day). Wow your blood sugar levels are sky high I went into a coma once on 16.5 so would be dead on levels like that.

skph

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I find it quite concerning that you have stopped taking insulin when your blood glucose levels are still this high - has your doctor agreed to this ? Any changes to medication should be following your doctor's advice.

I am keeping my doctor up to date on my conditions and also forwarding more truthful findings concerning T2DM literatures.

So far I'm in a good state loosing weight but glucose high - naturally. I mean my liver as it gets those excessive fats burn off, it's original functioning restoring to normal capability.

I'm on lunch fasting. Low carbs diet. So my body must use my fats reserves to meet the daily demands for fuel. At the same time ketones made and it's a better fuel compared to glucose.

So, I'm good for another 25 to 30kg of fat reserves to burn. So far I am able to burn off about 10kg in 1 month. So hopefully within another 2 and half months time before I reached my ideal far better weight of 70 to 75kg.

skph

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Oh by the way, my safety net is none other than my liver. It's an amazing organ. It regulates hormones and metabolic functions. Keep check on ketones and glucose productions. So I will not go into ketoacidosis situation. Just need to get rid of excess lipids.

The Mods

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I am keeping my doctor up to date on my conditions and also forwarding more truthful findings concerning T2DM literatures.

So far I'm in a good state loosing weight but glucose high - naturally. I mean my liver as it gets those excessive fats burn off, it's original functioning restoring to normal capability.

I'm on lunch fasting. Low carbs diet. So my body must use my fats reserves to meet the daily demands for fuel. At the same time ketones made and it's a better fuel compared to glucose.

So, I'm good for another 25 to 30kg of fat reserves to burn. So far I am able to burn off about 10kg in 1 month. So hopefully within another 2 and half months time before I reached my ideal far better weight of 70 to 75kg.

you are doing well then I find diets hard as I dont like meat