Teenage Holiday Type 1

Mstark

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi All - I am new to this Forum- I hope this issue can be of a benefit to my son and others. My 17 yrs old son is determined to go to Ayia Napa/Cyprus with his mates. He is Type 1 diabetic, and has good control in general- he was diagnosed when he was three years old. We are preparing a diabetic care plan with the local diabetic clinic in Aberdeen, and also planning an awareness session with his friends tomorrow. But as Parents and as it is his first time travel - we are very worried- does anyone have a similar experience - i.e. teenage type 1 on their own in places like Ayia Napa? he is only 17 and has no experience with drinking- odd beer here and there??

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hi @Mstark and welcome to the forum.

I can understand your concerns as a parent myself, firstly if he's well controlled then he'll understand the implications of letting it slip on holiday, however there's alot more he needs to be aware of.. has he got a best friend to look out for him ? Someone who will recognise if he goes low, will carry glucose on himself at all times and will know when to treat a hypo ? Can you establish some guidelines to control with alcohol in mind as well as heat, extra exercise. Make sure he takes 3 times what he needs and lots of glucose too.

Holidays are a minefield for a type 1, more vigilance is required than usual to keep checking BG levels, being able to adjust ratios to reduce insulin due to increase in insulin sensitivity and exercise.

Also the legal drinking age is 18 in Greece, so theoretically he shouldn't be allowed to drink, although not sure this will stop him, he needs to make sure he eats a carby snack and tests before bed to ensure he doesn't drop during the night, also to keep well hydrated. Find out where the nearest medical centre is just in case too.

How about using a libre for the holiday to make testing easier for him as another thought too ?

Mstark

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @Mstark and welcome to the forum.

I can understand your concerns as a parent myself, firstly if he's well controlled then he'll understand the implications of letting it slip on holiday, however there's alot more he needs to be aware of.. has he got a best friend to look out for him ? Someone who will recognise if he goes low, will carry glucose on himself at all times and will know when to treat a hypo ? Can you establish some guidelines to control with alcohol in mind as well as heat, extra exercise. Make sure he takes 3 times what he needs and lots of glucose too.

Holidays are a minefield for a type 1, more vigilance is required than usual to keep checking BG levels, being able to adjust ratios to reduce insulin due to increase in insulin sensitivity and exercise.

Also the legal drinking age is 18 in Greece, so theoretically he shouldn't be allowed to drink, although not sure this will stop him, he needs to make sure he eats a carby snack and tests before bed to ensure he doesn't drop during the night, also to keep well hydrated. Find out where the nearest medical centre is just in case too.

How about using a libre for the holiday to make testing easier for him as another thought too ?

thank you for the prompt reply

I am afraid The legal drinking age in Cyprus is 17. He has a Libre Linkup but he is going to swim and he is planning to take it off during the trip- - the sensor will fall off after 30 min exposure to Seawater,.( he travels June 25 to July 5th) He is self conscious about the whole thing and he wants to appear normal - I understand with his age- - we want him to have a balanced life and control his condition and not be controlled by it- this will work by empowerment and education and also by major planning and risk mitigation measures which we are doing- Just wanted to know if other parents had to do any thing drastic like travel secretly to Cyprus and stay near by just in case??

Last edited by a moderator:

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
thank you for the prompt reply

I am afraid The legal drinking age in Cyprus is 17. He has a Libre Linkup but he is going to swim and he is planning to take it off during the trip- - the sensor will fall off after 30 min exposure to Seawater,.( he travels June 25 to July 5th) He is self conscious about the whole thing and he wants to appear normal - I understand with his age- - we want him to have a balanced life and control his condition and not be controlled by it- this will work by empowerment and education and also by major planning and risk mitigation measures which we are doing- Just wanted to know if other parents had to do any thing drastic like travel secretly to Cyprus and stay near by just in case??

Mstark, I'm not T1, nor am I a parent, so please take my comments bearing that in mid.

Has your son had sunshine holidays, with you, in the past? If so, that could at least give him a grounding, albeit without the personal freedoms, or in-built controls of family being around.

Secondly, I have worn the liber overseas, and as a diver, my sensors have been submerged in water for the duration of my dives, plus other recreational surface swimming and snorkelling. Personally, I nevertheless found the stickability to be an issue.

Although Abbott might not replace a faulty sensor, worn in an alternative site, I have worn sensors on the side of my chest, near my armpit, so that it was hidden under my bikini top. I've also worn them pretty low on my abdomen, so that it was similarly hidden under bikini bottoms. The only thing about the low abdomen was pulling up and down close fitting jeans. I wasn't so much bothered about anyone seeing the sensor (although as a very private person it was a factor), frankly, I didn't fancy a patchy tan. Vain, moi? You bet your life!

I hope you and your son find a way forward that allows him great fun and you to sleep nights. A first holiday without family is a true rite of passage, so it must be a bigger for you guys.

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hi @Mstark You can purchase tegarderm plasters which cover the libre and protect it, I use these on holidays when swimming and it works perfectly - however care needs to be taken when removing as the sensor can peel off with the plaster.

I know he wants to appear 'normal' it's a shame that he feels this way, the reality is no one is normal, we all have our own quirks T1 or not, it's embracing individuality which will give him confidence, if he can understand the importance of keeping his libre attached and that scanning as much as possible will mean avoiding hypos and therefore enable him to have a great time, otherwise hypos could ruin his holiday.

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi there, it's hard isn't it when your little darlings want to spread their wings. My 21 year old is in Barcelona and it takes me all my resolve not to phone him every 5 minutes and he is not a diabetic! Can you tell us what your lad's readings are normally? I'm just wondering whether he should keep his levels a little higher than usual maybe to offset any unexpected lows that might arise from drinking alcohol? If this is his first time away that involves drinking then like any other lad of that age he might go 'mad' and get drunk, we all know that when you are drunk your willpower goes awry. Also his mates will need to know how to check whether he is acting as he is because he is drunk or low. Will they be taught how to check his levels if he can't? (maybe it's best to focus more on one specific mate rather than the whole bunch otherwise they will all be 'I thought you were checking him!'). It IS hard but when he comes home and is fine you will be so proud of him. He sounds quite responsible about his condition and I am sure he won't want to become ill in any way which is why I reckon running a little higher might at least minimise potential risks. x

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
Hi @Mstark,
maybe your son might ask his doctor for a script for Glucagon and carry the dispensed Glucagon with him on holiday.
The challenge is that if your son should have a hypo and become unconscious/unable to swallow (And has not had alcohol) then one of his friends would need to give it to him as an injection. But as an emergency treatment it could get be very useful.
Apparently alcohol blocks glucagon ( the body's own and any injected) from mobilising sugar from the liver when a hypo occurs - a VERY good reason for him NOT TO DRINK ALCOHOL.
He might also look at ways to carry say, a tube of unopened Glucose gel etc whilst swimming and ensure that he carries insulin, syringes, needles, pens or pump gear, meters and strips/spare battery in his cargo luggage as well as his carry-on luggage for the air flight, and when travelling on Cyprus to give one of his friends some spare insulin/pens /pump stuff etc.
If he is on an insulin pump he needs to have a plan for if the pump fails, is lost ect which might include going back on short and long acting insulins.
Some pumps suppliers have reciprocal arrangements with some countries for supply of emergency replacement/loan of insulin pumps.

I assume he would take out travel insurance and check that such insurance covers ambulance transport.
Wearing a MedicAlert or similar bracelet is also a good idea.

When I was 23 I went over by myself from Australia to new Zealand for 3 months, but met up with friends over there for part of that time. This was whilst prescribed twice daily insulins of the old type in 1976, before glucometers and pens but with disposable needles/syringes. I did lots of hiking (or tramping as they call it over there) and travelled through both islands. So it can be done, not without risk but with careful forward planning and thought.
In those years I also went on 7 day long wilderness canoe trips.
I must admit looking back on that time, I wonder how my parents coped - but they had helped me with planning and management from diagnosis in 1966 at age 13.
The most important things are that:
1) your son has a positive experience and
2) you cope with that tricky time of allowing him out of the home nest to spread his wings a bit.

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
carries insulin, syringes, needles, pens or pump gear, meters and strips/spare battery in his cargo luggage as well as his carry-on luggage for the air flight,

No point putting insulin in hold luggage, the cold temperatures will damage it. I put ALL my diabetic supplies in hand luggage.

If it's any consolation, I went away to university aged 17, and managed perfectly well (including alcohol since everyone assumed I must be 18 if at university). (And I didn't have any friends going to the same university.)

But
Do talk to him about hypos and alcohol - it is a very real issue for night time hypos.

Mstark

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank You All for the kind response. It is so good to share experiences and I find yours very comforting. Today we have an appointment with the diabetic nurse along with a couple of his friends - so thats good-
1- Abbott Freestyle: They claim that it is okay for 30 min in water- now Tegaderm plaster is a good option and will order it today. I will try to convince him to use the sensor with a back up ( anyway) finger pricking-
2- Alcohol Management: He stated that he does not like drinking but would like to blend in- so that is comforting- I have told him he can consume a bottle of beer per hour - max three bottles per night - and he has to eat his carbs before and and after- with plenty of water - His friends can police him
3- Medical Alert bracelet already in place
4- Summer Holiday: He has been to hot places- in summer holiday- and he is aware of what needs to be done - I hope
5- Spare Insulin Kit: Yes his friends are carrying a spare kit- and Airport letter to authorities in pace

We have 5 days left before take off - so will work on the sensor use. As parents- we cannot stop worrying and even if they had no medical condition at all. I liked the embrace the difference as all of us are different- I hope he will listen- I salute kitedoc the 17 years old with bold control, and KK123 for the sincere and thorough analysis. Also JuicyJ- for the kind recommendation and DCUKMOD for the sensor swimming and diving info- Thank you all - great to know we are not alone- and will provide an update frequently.

Reactions: Juicyj

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
@Mstark I think we all feel for you, so hopefully if he's prepared then his type 1 shouldn't get in the way and he'll have an amazing time, if you need any support while he's away to just off load then feel free to drop in and chat, it sounds like his mates are pretty switched on so he'll be in good hands, oh and last tip take glucotabs, jelly babies will melt in the heat and glucotabs are easier to store :)

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
No point putting insulin in hold luggage, the cold temperatures will damage it. I put ALL my diabetic supplies in hand luggage.

If it's any consolation, I went away to university aged 17, and managed perfectly well (including alcohol since everyone assumed I must be 18 if at university). (And I didn't have any friends going to the same university.)

But
Do talk to him about hypos and alcohol - it is a very real issue for night time hypos.
If the insulin is insulated properly it should not be a problem in cargo luggage but I understand your caution.

smwsmw

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Re Freestyle Libre - like one of the other commenters, I don’t put mine on my arm during the summer - only reason Abbott say it has to go on arm is that that is where it was sited for clinical trials. If it is somewhere visible, he can cover it with a dressing such as Mepore film & pad which is small dressing pad plus transparent film so if seem, looks like a wound dressing - Libre sensor completely hidden.
Also on Amazon you can get waterproof bum-bags and phone carrying cases which you can use to keep sensor, glucose etc in and you don’t even have to take sensor out of bag to use it - found this great in Blue Lagoon in Iceland.
I completely understand his wanting to be “normal” - I still feel like that age 57, after 45 years of it, but unfortunately those of us with T1 can’t just be normal - as my friend says, we all have things that make us special and unique - hmmm! Maybe point out to him that although having to do all this stuff is embarrassing, it’s not as embarrassing as having a massive hypo.
I hope he has an amazing time and that you don’t drive yourself nuts with worry xxx