How Media Sees T2s, And Low Carb Lifestylers

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I think its important to see all sides of the argument and know what is being said out there. the good, the bad and the barking mad.

I've read rave reviews about movies or books & ended up sitting through 90 minutes of uncomfortable hell in a dark room with strangers..
One particular "blockbuster" that comes to mind was Avatar. Both my mate & I walked out disappointed at this bang for buck, tree hugfest.
I just saw "the last samauri," "dances with wolves" & "man called horse" in space... ;)
I came, I saw, I walked away disgusted (Tonbridge Wells).

..... And dazed & confused of Wiltshire writes, "Was all this 3D in the film necessary?? It played havoc with my macula oedema..."
image.jpeg

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I've read rave reviews about movies or books & ended up sitting through 90 minutes of uncomfortable hell in a dark room with strangers..
One particular "blockbuster" that comes to mind was Avatar. Both my mate & I walked out disappointed at this bang for buck, tree hugfest.
I just saw "the last samauri," "dances with wolves" & "man called horse" in space... ;)

..... And dazed & confused of Wiltshire writes, "Was all this 3D in the film necessary?? It played havoc with my macula oedema..."
View attachment 27237
Eh?

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
'Dr. David Unwin ..... widely criticised by scientists....' oooh, I wonder why our NHS has given the go ahead for low carb and didn't I read somewhere about Low carb being given the CE label, too? I must retrace my steps.... Not!

Guzzler, the accreditation recently awarded to DCUK's LC Prog is QISMET.

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
What a load of tripe - actually rubbish as I like tripe. Carbs bring flavour, is he serious, the protein is always the star of the dish and can often be eaten without any seasoning and alone; who would eat just rice or pasta.

"People in every society on Earth bulk out their meals with bread, potatoes, rice, pasta, noodles or whatever source of cheap carbohydrate is available to fill their stomachs and give them energy"

This is only the case in modern times. It would be easy to roll out the usual suspects who did not eat like this and to recant the trading systems which introduced fattening carbs around the globe. Breads in European societies pre-monsanto and mass production were much healthier, often taking a significant part of the day to make. Another factor is that societies who had healthier bread as a staple were generally refined sugarless as well as not eating every 3 to 4 hours.

As for being so restrictive I would happily compare my typical week with the authors sea of beige, my main meal today had 8 elements (excluding seasonings), my deserts included chocolate, 6 types of roasted nuts with cajun seasoning and 2 cracker biscuits with peanut butter.

Another one of those that says a calorie is a calorie, 250 cals of potatoes behaves in a very different way to 250 calories of steak.

I only have to look at the gi load gi index, the insulin response, the readings on blood glucose meters, what carbs turn into, what makes triglycerides and what macro is generally removed to reverse diabetes and reduce weight and other conditions = carbs.

Reactions: Guzzler

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
It saddens me to say this but before diagnosis I may have agreed with some of what this 'journalist' has to say. My name is Pauline and I used to be in the dark, this writer still is.

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
What a load of tripe - actually rubbish as I like tripe. Carbs bring flavour, is he serious, the protein is always the star of the dish and can often be eaten without any seasoning and alone; who would eat just rice or pasta.

"People in every society on Earth bulk out their meals with bread, potatoes, rice, pasta, noodles or whatever source of cheap carbohydrate is available to fill their stomachs and give them energy"

This is only the case in modern times. It would be easy to roll out the usual suspects who did not eat like this and to recant the trading systems which introduced fattening carbs around the globe. Breads in European societies pre-monsanto and mass production were much healthier, often taking a significant part of the day to make. Another factor is that societies who had healthier bread as a staple were generally refined sugarless as well as not eating every 3 to 4 hours.

As for being so restrictive I would happily compare my typical week with the authors sea of beige, my main meal today had 8 elements (excluding seasonings), my deserts included chocolate, 6 types of roasted nuts with cajun seasoning and 2 cracker biscuits with peanut butter.

Another one of those that says a calorie is a calorie, 250 cals of potatoes behaves in a very different way to 250 calories of steak.

I only have to look at the gi load gi index, the insulin response, the readings on blood glucose meters, what carbs turn into, what makes triglycerides and what macro is generally removed to reverse diabetes and reduce weight and other conditions = carbs.
Ironically without the ability to grow food that could be stored (grains), we may not have had the leisure time to become civilised and write/discuss such things. We have grown up in this low fat foods/high fat people era but 2 unproven hypotheses that generated it may just be on their way out even if they are currently being rigorously defended by opinion pieces like this.