Type 2 Why Did Bg Go Up?

johnrubinstein

Type of diabetes
Type 2
An explanation please.

Woke up this morning and BG reads 7.0 (normally it’s in the low 6s). So decided to eat carb less breakfast instead of my usual full fat Greek yogurt sprinkled with flax seed. Made myself a three egg omelette with a dollop of unsweetened soya milk and an ounce of cheddar cheese fried in butter. 2 hours later, check myself again and BG is up to 7.5. There must be an explanation, but , right now, I don’t get it. Carb less breakfast. Thought it would not be higher, but lower.

Thanks

J

Phoenix55

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
So many things it could be from just not having a good sleep to sickening for something/hayfever or anticipating a stressful day or even a couple of duff strips. Put it behind you, only take note if the trend is towards this raised level. Tomorrow is another day...

Reactions: johnrubinstein

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I get exactly the same thing - if I eat a breakfast with almost no carbs then my liver thinks that I must be in need of some, so it happily throws out glucose until I do eat some carbs, but by then I usually have so much insulin in my system that I drop really low in the late afternoon and feel like doing a nosedive onto the bed and sleeping for several hours.
I find that a bit of salad or some mushrooms will sort out the problem and keep my BG stable all day.

paulchew1988

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
So many things it could be from just not having a good sleep to sickening for something/hayfever or anticipating a stressful day or even a couple of duff strips. Put it behind you, only take note if the trend is towards this raised level. Tomorrow is another day...
It could also just be your BG meter. They have a tolerance of +/-10%. So if you was testing at 7.0 you can be anywhere from 6.3 - 7.7. So many things affect BG levels if you jumped form 7 to 9 then I'd be asking why but for 0.5 I'd not worry about it.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I don't do breakfast & OK, I'm a T1. I can experience "liver dump" in the 2 hours of waking & getting ready for work. Plus other morning duties like walking the dog before setting off to work... It can jump as much 1.5Mmol for me... (A natural response to a time keeping specific task in a daily routine.)

I also agree with @paulchew1988 's meter variable explaination above.

TonyHancock

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
This drives me nuts. the number of variables makes prediction of BG levels almost impossible to predict. this morning after an 18 hour fast my reading was 6.2. Tonight I am down to 5.2 after cheese and meat.

In my mind diet is just one aspect. Stress and sleep patterns play a more important factor for me.