Taking insulin without food

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Maybe she meant just first thing in morning on an empty stomach. Something about it causing ketoacidosis as the insulin is working on the fat not the food (that’s why im thinking she means morning/fasting)
You can't get ketoacidosis that way but if you regularly get a high fasting glucose, had you looked at the basal rate? Btw I often need a little correction dose. Counter-intuitively I may need more if I skip breakfast as my liver also chugs a tonne of glucose out to keep my brain working.

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Honestly, I had been told that T2 eventually will turn into T1 and that really scare the living daylights out of me. But then, after so long, I'm still T2. So who is right!?
Just to clarify, T2 doesn’t become T1 if you end up having to take insulin. You’d be T2 on insulin. It’s all really confusing - two conditions with the same name.

It’s extremely unlikely but if your immune system were to attack and kill the beta cells in your pancreas, and it can happen at any age, not just in childhood - you could in theory become T1.

Similarly, it’s not unheard of for T1s to develop insulin resistance, this is often called “double diabetes”, and is one of my own biggest fears.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Noted. And apology. As the title did not state clearly of T1 or T2.

Just to clarify, one of the simplest ways to asceretain a member's type of diabetes is to look just under their avatar, posted to the left of every post they make, like this:

upload_2018-6-20_17-41-19.png

I have highlighted to type of diabetes, for illustrative purposes only.

Where you remain unclear, please look a their profile, ask the member, and if still in doubt refrain frorm replying with information that could be influenced.

(Apologies @novorapidboi26 - I copied your pic, rather than copy a young woman's photo without heer permission. If you object to yours being used, please let me know. :) )

Reactions: Alison Campbell

pc01827

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi. I went to see diabetic nurse yesterday. I had told her sometimes i take novorapid in morning with no food if my blood sugars are high to correct them by lunchtime. I don’t eat a breakfast. She said never ever take fast acting insulin without food as the insulin has no food to work on and can cause problems. This is the first iv heard. Wondering does anyone else take insulin with no food as id imagine correcting a blood sugars (between meals) would be the same scenario?!

pc01827

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

dCP, post: 1816539, member: 468055"]Just to clarify, T2 doesn’t become T1 if you end up having to take insulin. You’d be T2 on insulin. It’s all really confusing - two conditions with the same name.

It’s extremely unlikely but if your immune system were to attack and kill the beta cells in your pancreas, and it can happen at any age, not just in childhood - you could in theory become T1.

Similarly, it’s not unheard of for T1s to develop insulin resistance, this is often called “double diabetes”, and is one of my own biggest fears.[/QUOTE]