Type 1 Can Exercise Combat Nerve Damage?

samowen268

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
hello everyone, I hope you've been enjoying the start of summer (the UK has seen α pleasant range of high temperatures recently!)

I am 19 and have been suffering with what I think is nerve damage for α while now, the pain was in my feet but is now mainly in my calves when walking.

My diabetic nurse told me it was unusual for me to feel pain here and was hesitant to prescribe me drugs for pain relief due to the side effects and decided against it.

I have been monitoring my bloods and I have found α great balance in my diet and insulin doses, so they are rarely exceeding 10mmol now (they used to be above this regularly)

I am at α bit of α loss as to what I am meant to do now, I have been taking general pain relief tablets but they aren't helping, the pain is very sharp in my calves and my feet have αn aching pain.. my question is (finally)

If I join my local gym and begin exercising regularly (I have become α bit of α couch potato), will it help me build up strength in my legs and combat the nerve pain? so like will exercise enable me to walk further and for longer periods of time without the pain starting??

Sorry that was such α long boring read, I wanted to add in all of the circumstances etc! Thank u for any answers in advance :)

red1mot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I have had neuropathy in feet for couple of years found that gym exercise didn't help walking did with physio everyone is different though

Colin of Kent

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
You say you think it's nerve damage; how sure or otherwise are you? I'm just wondering if there could be some other cause, such as dietary choices? How much processed food do you eat? Dr Rangan Chatterjee's book 'The 4 Pillar Plan' is excellent, and many of his patients have successfully combatted pain with diet and lifestyle changes alone. You may find a whole-food, anti-inflammatory diet helps.

Just thoughts...