Type 2 Baffled By Numbers

mike gibson

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Looking for advice... again...I’m slowly getting to the stage where I’m getting my bg around the 6’s although the fasting one is stubbornly high but a lot lower than it was 6 months ago.. my Question is the other day I had one weetabix for breakfast, not my usual breakfast, and a mid morning snack of half a steak and cheese baguette, once again not something I usually have but it was a freebie at work, then usual salad for lunch...upon getting home I was expecting a high bg but it came in at 6.3...yesterday omelette for breakfast and salad for lunch...low carb all day and bg 9.8...how can a day where I am pretty low carb give me a higher reading, I’ve read somewhere that if you don’t eat enough carbs then the liver dumps glucose in the system to get you through the day, would this be the reason for that 9.8 reading ??

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hi @mike gibson In theory you should of had much better BG levels on the day without carbs than vice versa, I would be trying a few days low carb as a comparison rather than just one day - also were you doing anything differently in terms of exercise/work ?

mike gibson

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @mike gibson In theory you should of had much better BG levels on the day without carbs than vice versa, I would be trying a few days low carb as a comparison rather than just one day - also were you doing anything differently in terms of exercise/work ?

Activity wise pretty much the same...I’m a mobile engineer no two days are the same...those particular two days were fairly similar in the amount of walking to a particular job...mind on the low bg day I did a bit of heavy equipment lifting, not sure if that would affect readings

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hi @mike gibson Exercise will impact on your BG levels as it will use up the extra glucose and keep levels in range, so on other days how have your BG levels been ? I tend to work on patterns with my control, so if i'm running high i'll simply observe the numbers for a couple of days, and keeping a diary too is beneficial as you can report back to your DSN with this in case medication needs to be changed.

Reactions: mike gibson

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I guess that you are fairly new to low carbing - so I suspect that it is a really good sign that your metabolism is getting back into balance. The heavy lifting helps - I saw low readings on Christmas Eve and Christmas Day last year after moving things around to get the Christmas tree inside and then pull out the table.

britishpub

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
...upon getting home I was expecting a high bg but it came in at 6.3...

You will most likely find that you had a very sharp rise in BG after eating that, to quite a high level which then dropped rapidly, hence the lower than expected result a few hours later.

BG testing is not a particularly exact science, and often gives you unusual results, even when you think that you have eaten pretty similar things. Sometimes BG rises slowly over a longer period, sometimes you get a quick spike and then a drop.

All part of T2D's rich tapestry.