Prediabetes Do They Know What They Are Talking About?

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Now I want malt loaf. Pass us the Soreen, Doreen.

Wilber123

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Yes. I’m not sure I want to do this.
It’s a way to get rid of me doing this course.
Until!!! They not not be able to because I might be higher than ever with BG.
I don’t want to get that far. So WHY are GPs
Not eduacated on the LCHF way.
It’s so obvious.

Phoenix55

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Things are obvious when you know. Until then you tend to believe what you are told by a normally reliable source or the source that you are told to follow if you want to continue in practice. If you can spare the time or if you enjoy the social aspect then go to the course, but if you are busy, like most of us, forget it carry on doing what you are doing - testing and eating to meter.

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
But I have a healthy diet, do not eat chips crisp cake biscuits. etc. And only weigh 8stone 7lbs.
My dad and his siblings all had diabetes T1 and T2. So the GP said my problem is not caused by diet.
How long have you been prediabetic? Have they considered that you might be T1 instead of T2? (Of course, if you're T1 you'll soon find out because your BGLs will go up in spite of all your low carbing).

If you do decide to attend the course, I'd be very tempted to do some low carb proselytising and make sure you give the other attendees a link to this forum....

Reactions: dbr10

Maggyanne1950

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
I am on a prediabetic course run by momenta. It consists of 6 weekly sessions, 6 fortnightly sessions and 6 monthly sessions.
They test Hba1c 3 times during the course. They weigh us at every session and encourage us to lose 10% of our body weight.
We have step counters and am to do 10000 steps a day. We report on our steps done at every session. The rest is dietry advice.
I would say that it s aimed at chip loving, overweight couch potatoes. We get our second blood test next week, but I have lost the required weight an upped my exersize. The advice on diet is not what you do here, but is a vast difference for most people. No sugary cerials, cake, white bread, rice. Small portions of potato, pasta and wholemeal bread. Half a plate of vegetables and small amounts of fruit.
They give graphic details of the consequences of diabetes and explain about beta cells in the pancreas.
I would recommend this course but improve the diet with advice from this site.
The advice has helped a lot of people in my town to lose weight, get active and eat much more healthily than they used to.
Not perfect, but useful.

smw99

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have a suggestion. Continue to eat low carb, and perhaps even lower than at present, keep checking and recording your blood glucose figures and keep attending. You should see your figures start to come down quite quickly and you can keep showing the expert what is happening. Given that we all know that eating fewer carbs works for most people I feel we should be sharing this far and wide. Every 'expert' we educate will help many more people who may not have found this Forum.

Reactions: EllieM and dbr10

ROSIE1988

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
This is what happened to us.
My Husbands Doctor just said you must attend this 'Desmond Course' - which - at the time we knew no better, so we went along and were instructed to eat all the carbs under the sun.
Digestive biscuits were recommended and even served at break time!?
Instructor also told us to go for Aero chocolate as the bubbles make it less harmful!?

This on top of the Doctor telling my Hubby that he WOULD have a heart attack if he didn't go onto Metformin!

Hence us being on here and thank Goodness for this site as I think we would have plummeted into despair to be honest.

We are both on the LCHF and things are settling nicely and we are getting our heads around all the information and I am waiting for the BG Tester to arrive so we can check what sets my Hubby off etc.

Is there a Insulin Tester for people to use at home yet? No matter the cost.

Also, are there any Charts on this site that show all the Low Carb Foods - lots on Instagram etc but do you have one that we can totally trust on here?

Interestingly on Question Time last Thursday a young journalist spoke out and set that anyone over 50 is coming back from their Doctor with a handful of drugs because Doctors have been getting paid to get people onto the drugs as opposed to helping themselves - like using this site etc. So the message is trickling out and the more we shout about it the better.

Our own Doc dismissed all this LCHF out of hand - but we no longer trust him one bit.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Is there a Insulin Tester for people to use at home yet? No matter the cost.
Not as yet although there is supposed to be one under development but no release date yet..
Also, are there any Charts on this site that show all the Low Carb Foods - lots on Instagram etc but do you have one that we can totally trust on here?
check out www.dietdoctor.com lots of info, recipes and really useful selections of food and carb contents.
Our own Doc dismissed all this LCHF out of hand
well at least he's heard of it.. mine has no idea!

LucyL 2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My DN also dismissed the LCHF or Mediterranean diets recommended on the X-pert course I attended. Despite me being told and reading in the handbook that saturated fats haven't been proved to cause high cholesterol, she advises the "old way" as I am on Atorvistatin. With a reading of 4.67 this time, I am nearly at the recommended 4.5 or below. I did say that perhaps she needed a copy of the X-pert book as this is the course for this part of the county and all her patients will be getting the new advice. It's very confusing if the professionals are not singing from the same hymn sheet. And as to your course being 18 weeks!!! Mine at 6 weeks for 2 1/2 hours was quite long enough. Good luck.

dbr10

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My DN also dismissed the LCHF or Mediterranean diets recommended on the X-pert course I attended. Despite me being told and reading in the handbook that saturated fats haven't been proved to cause high cholesterol, she advises the "old way" as I am on Atorvistatin. With a reading of 4.67 this time, I am nearly at the recommended 4.5 or below. I did say that perhaps she needed a copy of the X-pert book as this is the course for this part of the county and all her patients will be getting the new advice. It's very confusing if the professionals are not singing from the same hymn sheet. And as to your course being 18 weeks!!! Mine at 6 weeks for 2 1/2 hours was quite long enough. Good luck.
Some DNs need retraining. If that's you TC is not too bad