A hard lesson

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.
After pretty well staying off the booze since Christmas, the last two weeks I've lapsed with a vengeance :oops: . The best part of a bottle of red wine almost every night, as well as my treat night out last Monday.

I don't know what gets into me - it's almost an impulse to self-destruction. I know I shouldn't do it - even that I can't do it! - but I almost seem to do it to spite myself. And of course, then I eat too much, and too much of the wrong things, including ryvita and oatcakes at bedtime.

Yesterday was the peak - I was working in the morning, watching a machine dig out some trenches, and when the kind lady brought out some bacon sandwiches and coffee, I didn't hesitate :shock: . Gorgeous! Then off to the nearest supermarket, did my weekly shop, and then quite deliberately bought a shepherd's pie and yet another bottle of red wine. And I have to say I really did enjoy them :D . But the low-carb diet for the last 2 weeks has been blown out of the water, by the wine and the extra biscuits, never mind the shepherd's pie and bacon sarnies! :( .

I seem to have got off lightly - my bg levels are up a bit, but still within the NICE guidelines for Type 2s. Nor have I had any hypos (I take metformin). However, over this last two weeks my bgs have been in the 6s rather than the 5s, and I'm really hoping I haven't blown the chance of an improvement on my last HbA1c of 5.4, when I go for my next test in 3 weeks time.

I'm back on the straight and narrow now, and the great fish and chip experiment will not now take place until April :lol: . But - breaking a slimming diet is one thing; breaking a diet that's necessary for my health is quite another!

Does anyone else have this type of problem - food and/or booze? -, and can anyone pass on any tips for avoiding it? It's not that I don't know what I'm doing - I do it quite deliberately, knowing the possible effects - almost putting two fingers up at myself!

I feel better having 'confessed' all to the forum - thanks for listening, guys :D

Viv :)

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Viv,

Time to move forward and put the last 2 weeks behind you, the good thing is you know what you have done is wrong and moving from the 5's to 6's shouldn't impact too much on your a1c.

Nigel

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.
Thanks, Nigel. Onwards and downwards! (bg and weight, that is!)

Sue o2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Would be so nice just to have a weekend off from being diabetic from time to time :lol:

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Sue o2 said:
Would be so nice just to have a weekend off from being diabetic from time to time :lol:

No such luck! :(

Nigel :D

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Viv.

Everybody 'falls off the wagon' sometime or other.......just don't beat yourself up about it ! :( You know what you did wrong and you know how to deal with it.

I had a Crunchie Bar last week....oh yes, and a Mars Bar some weeks before. I do eat small portions of Shepherds Pie sometimes and yes......sometimes my Bg levels go too high although within my targets.

Am I bad ? No just human and a Diabetic who most of the time stays well in control. That's the thing......most of the time. The odd 'derailment' isn't going to hurt you and as for the HbA1c, I'm sure you will be fine. :D

Stay positive....... :)

rainey2910

Dislikes
Work!
Hi Viv,

I know exactly what you have been through. I was diagnosed Type 2 last September, which was a huge relief for me, as I thought I was on the way to helping myself to feel better.

In the months up until Xmas, I had radically changed my diet, done all the things that I had been advised were good for me and as a result I lost over 2 stone in weight.

Xmas came and went, I was pretty good, didn't overdo things in a big way. BUT, then I started being ill with the flu after in the new year. I was ill for 3 weeks, bg levels were erratic, felt totally rotten. Once I was over the flu, I started to eat some of the things I used to love, bacon sarnies being the favourite. I thought the old saying 'a little of what you fancy does you good' would apply, but no...I put on almost a full stone in weight and felt much worse than when I had the **** flu in the first place!

My scales gave me the kick in the pants I needed a few weeks ago, when I realised just how much weight I had put back on. I have been feeling sickly and tired a lot as well, so I knew that my eating was sending me back to where I had started. This was when I realised that it needed to stop.

Been for my HbA1c this morning, and I feel like I've turned a corner. Back on the healthy eating plan, with no desires to go back to my old ways.

Hope things work out well for you. :)

didi

viviennem said:
After pretty well staying off the booze since Christmas, the last two weeks I've lapsed with a vengeance :oops: . The best part of a bottle of red wine almost every night, as well as my treat night out last Monday.

I don't know what gets into me - it's almost an impulse to self-destruction. I know I shouldn't do it - even that I can't do it! - but I almost seem to do it to spite myself. And of course, then I eat too much, and too much of the wrong things, including ryvita and oatcakes at bedtime.

Yesterday was the peak - I was working in the morning, watching a machine dig out some trenches, and when the kind lady brought out some bacon sandwiches and coffee, I didn't hesitate :shock: . Gorgeous! Then off to the nearest supermarket, did my weekly shop, and then quite deliberately bought a shepherd's pie and yet another bottle of red wine. And I have to say I really did enjoy them :D . But the low-carb diet for the last 2 weeks has been blown out of the water, by the wine and the extra biscuits, never mind the shepherd's pie and bacon sarnies! :( .

I seem to have got off lightly - my bg levels are up a bit, but still within the NICE guidelines for Type 2s. Nor have I had any hypos (I take metformin). However, over this last two weeks my bgs have been in the 6s rather than the 5s, and I'm really hoping I haven't blown the chance of an improvement on my last HbA1c of 5.4, when I go for my next test in 3 weeks time.

I'm back on the straight and narrow now, and the great fish and chip experiment will not now take place until April :lol: . But - breaking a slimming diet is one thing; breaking a diet that's necessary for my health is quite another!

Does anyone else have this type of problem - food and/or booze? -, and can anyone pass on any tips for avoiding it? It's not that I don't know what I'm doing - I do it quite deliberately, knowing the possible effects - almost putting two fingers up at myself!

I feel better having 'confessed' all to the forum - thanks for listening, guys :D

Food and booze? problem ? Hell yeah !! I have so often not taken my meds because they make me feel like hell when mixed with booze ( get very talkative on the porcelain telephone.) so the choice has been to not take the meds. My weakness booze wise is brandy and coke. I rationalise it by saying to myself, I have it with DIET coke.. so not tooo bad. :lol:

Like you said on my post - we all have lapses. The main thing is that you are back on track and you havent suffered any major consequences. Onwards and upwards :)