Supermarkets Have No Low Carb

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
In Australian supermarkets, there's usually a "health food" section that covers gluten free, organic, protein powders, etc. - all packaged foods - and that's where all the nasty ingredient low carb stuff like Atkins bars are to be found.

Reactions: Prem51

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
I would need a section with a banner saying:

Low carb
Veggie oil free
Sugar free
Chemical sugar free
Free from preservatives, artificial colours
Grain free and
Free from olives and capers ('cos I don't like them). :D

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Most supermarkets sell full fat Greek yoghurt. Thats the one to look for.

Sadly, my local branch of Booths supermarket has stopped selling full fat yogurts. I used to buy my Fage Greek yogurt there, but now all there is are the reduced/zero fat varieties. I haven't asked why, but can only assume it is because the full fat ones weren't good sellers, and this is probably because of all the media attention on how low calorie low fat diets are healthy, and fat is bad. I know that "fat is bad" has been around a long time, but it is being touted much more these days.

Reactions: flexi06

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I agree with the original Poster. Of course there are lots of natural low carb foods but when you want convenience or even a treat (like any other normal person, diabetic or not), then where are the low carb brownies, etc (I don't mean boxed up, been on the shelf for a year options either), I mean freshly made. We all loved the low carb Aldi rolls didn't we? I know we can cook them up ourselves but there are times when you just want to buy some. I reckon if a low carb shop opened up it would make a fortune, fresh pastries/pies/pizzas, ALL made low carb. Yum. (I sound as if I don't care about healthy foods but I do, I just think if shops got on board with this, the health of many people would be improved).

Reactions: Sadie111 and mo53

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I dont know about this. Look what happened with low fat foods - people thought that meant they could eat more of them, or that they didnt have calories in them or similar.

I am in favour of re-training our tastebuds, and getting away from the snacking culture, and back to occasional treats on special occasions.

its not just the carbs, is it, its the whole three meals a day, and snacks, and nibbles and treats way of life that has crept up and up over recent years.

When I hear young mums, for example, bemoaning that their child doesnt want its tea, and then I realise they have been snacking all day, even if its fruit or similar, I think to myself "have we forgotten how to feel hungry? How to experience appetite? How to enjoy anticipation?"

Reactions: flexi06

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I agree with the original Poster. Of course there are lots of natural low carb foods but when you want convenience or even a treat (like any other normal person, diabetic or not), then where are the low carb brownies, etc (I don't mean boxed up, been on the shelf for a year options either), I mean freshly made. We all loved the low carb Aldi rolls didn't we? I know we can cook them up ourselves but there are times when you just want to buy some. I reckon if a low carb shop opened up it would make a fortune, fresh pastries/pies/pizzas, ALL made low carb. Yum. (I sound as if I don't care about healthy foods but I do, I just think if shops got on board with this, the health of many people would be improved).
Sorry but I have to disagree with you. The "treats" and "convenience" stuff is what got a lot of us here in the first place.
Far better to cook from scratch using real foods that look like food. How long does it take to whip up an omelette? 5 minutes max what could be more convenient?

Reactions: dbr10

Sminkypinky_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Labeling foods low carb would have all the GPs in the area having apoplectic fits in the aisles and being most untidy.
Having been subjected to their rages over my need to stick to low carb foods over the decades, there is such a huge number of gainsayers that I can imagine any supermarket wishing to stock a low carb range would have an official NHS picket outside.
I'm just doing the NHS-run Expert Diabetes course which advocates fasting and low carb diets. Diabetes management is being taught as watching your carbs - it is all about the carbs, not the sugars. We are being taught that it is OK to eat fats - butter, cold-pressed oils. Oh the times they are a changing

dbr10

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm just doing the NHS-run Expert Diabetes course which advocates fasting and low carb diets. Diabetes management is being taught as watching your carbs - it is all about the carbs, not the sugars. We are being taught that it is OK to eat fats - butter, cold-pressed oils. Oh the times they are a changing
Thank goodness. Certainly different from when I went on it. Update is due in October now.

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Sorry but I have to disagree with you. The "treats" and "convenience" stuff is what got a lot of us here in the first place.
Far better to cook from scratch using real foods that look like food. How long does it take to whip up an omelette? 5 minutes max what could be more convenient?
I do agree that it's better to cook from scratch and never have a treat or snack (especially if you know you are a person who doesn't know when to stop) but most people are not that perfect (I know I'm not) so when I don't want to whip up a batch of low carb brownies then it would be nice to be able to get a nice fresh one at the bakers. Sorry, at those times, an egg will NOT suffice! :)

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Typo sorry - the rather nice low carb ice cream is called OPPO and is curtently on offer at JS!
Sainsburys sell OPPO for £4 permanently, unlike other retailers where it's £4.99.
When they do it on offer, as they did last month, it was £3. :)

Reactions: dbr10

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I went on my 'education' course at the beginning of 2017 and was told to stick to good foods such as baked beans and baked potatoes. If there really is a change going on then I will soon be able to sit back and get on with my knitting.

Reactions: flexi06 and dbr10

barbherod

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I do agree with an earlier post theres no low carb section in the
Supermarkets or low carb shops that i know of may we should all sign a letter and email it to the supermarkets if they get enought demand a carb section would appear supply and demand
Lidl took their protein rolls off the market in spite of general outcry and lots of email pleas. Unfortunately they did not want to listen as their decision was final. They said sales did not merit continuing!

Reactions: Prem51

dbr10

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Lidl took their protein rolls off the market in spite of general outcry and lots of email pleas. Unfortunately they did not want to listen as their decision was final. They said sales did not merit continuing!
I never understood that.