My Diabetes History

callieuk

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have the markers genetically, familial history + overweight + big birth weight baby 18 years ago, so I've known for a long time the risk was there. I also test high on OGTT tests and was on the register as diabetic a long while back ... I'd say 10 years but new evidence makes it look like that was even longer! Always had retinopathy tests and HBA1C tests yearly and docs have always called my pre-diabetic.

Anyhow, I got online access to my medical records yesterday and they go back to 2008, so I collated a sheet of my results and I've been at 5.3% or 33 mmol/l for all years except November 2017 where I was 47 and February 2018 where I was 60.

My weight hasn't changed, my diet hasn't changed, nothing in my life was any different, so why things suddenly changed in November I have no idea. Equally,why have docs labelled me as pre-diabetic for so long when clearly I wasn't?

I genuinely don't expect anyone to be able to answer those questions by the way, just need to get it out so I stop stewing over it ,

james11

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Probably money...ive seen posts on here saying gp practises get extra funds if patients are pre diabetic...easy way for them to up thier income by putting patients in that category. .

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers
I've been at 5.3% or 33 mmol/l for all years except November 2017 where I was 47 and February 2018 where I was 60.

Well done! Although February 2018 is iffy. That happened to me after 4 years of low carb and getting excellent HbA1c results. The body is quite happy to convert protein and fat to glucose, via a slightly different route but still possible. You don't mention diet or medication. Low carb? Metformin? Gliclazide?

gp practises get extra funds if patients are pre diabetic...easy way for them to up their income by putting patients in that category

Dr Briffa, as the salutation suggests is a doctor, better than that, he is a medical doctor and way back in 2009 he was saying that GP surgeries were receiving an incentive of £3,000 if they can get 1/2 of their type II patients to have an HbA1c of 7% or less. The important bits are that it's the surgery that get the money, not an individual GP unless he/she is a sole practitioner. I suppose it might cover the cleaner's wages. Also the incentive is only paid if 1/3 their type IIs have an HbA1c below 7%, no mention of pre diabetics. Where does that bit of info? come from? It would be useful to see some useful empirical evidence, otherwise it sounds like a Daily Express headline. I can't repeat what I think of D.E. headlines.

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have the markers genetically, familial history + overweight + big birth weight baby 18 years ago, so I've known for a long time the risk was there. I also test high on OGTT tests and was on the register as diabetic a long while back ... I'd say 10 years but new evidence makes it look like that was even longer! Always had retinopathy tests and HBA1C tests yearly and docs have always called my pre-diabetic.

Anyhow, I got online access to my medical records yesterday and they go back to 2008, so I collated a sheet of my results and I've been at 5.3% or 33 mmol/l for all years except November 2017 where I was 47 and February 2018 where I was 60.

My weight hasn't changed, my diet hasn't changed, nothing in my life was any different, so why things suddenly changed in November I have no idea. Equally,why have docs labelled me as pre-diabetic for so long when clearly I wasn't?

I genuinely don't expect anyone to be able to answer those questions by the way, just need to get it out so I stop stewing over it ,
I think a lot of it is to do with ageing, like anything else your body can cope a lot better when you are young but when you get older it becomes less able to throw off any habits you might have been indulging in or completely unaware of, you say you are overweight so it could be that your body can simply not cope with or process its insulin production any longer, even pancreas' can wear out. It is interesting when you finally have access to your medical notes going back years. As for having been called pre diabetic, don't waste your time trying to figure that one out, you can ask your Doctors obviously but they probably won't know either, maybe they decided that because of familial history. x

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Aging alone can affect (some) gene expression. Forty years ago Type 2 Diabetes was said to be a disease of the over 65s. Our diet has changed dramatically in the last half century, this and possibly other reasons have affected the scale of T2 today.

Mal37

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Social situations
Probably money...ive seen posts on here saying gp practises get extra funds if patients are pre diabetic...easy way for them to up thier income by putting patients in that category. .
Well if that's right James then it is disgusting!
I would be straight to the surgery on Monday with questions to fire callieuk!

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Hi Callie - When you say you score highly on the OGTT, ws that test done by your surgery/clinic, or was it something you did at home for your own information? If it was official and you het ceretain levels, they may have made your pre-diabetes classification as a rresult of that. It's only in relatively rrecent years that the HbA1c has been the gold standard for diagnosing T2 diabetes.

James, my surgery are by their own words, drowing in T2s, so I doubt they would be inclined to do as you suggest. Of course, that doesn't mean it 100% doesn't happen.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Aging alone can affect (some) gene expression. Forty years ago Type 2 Diabetes was said to be a disease of the over 65s. Our diet has changed dramatically in the last half century, this and possibly other reasons have affected the scale of T2 today.

When I was diagnosed 29 years ago, type 2 was described by doctors as the two f's ( I was told this) fat and over 40 :wideyed:
Definitely dramatic changes over the last few decades.

callieuk

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Callie - When you say you score highly on the OGTT, ws that test done by your surgery/clinic, or was it something you did at home for your own information? If it was official and you het ceretain levels, they may have made your pre-diabetes classification as a rresult of that. It's only in relatively rrecent years that the HbA1c has been the gold standard for diagnosing T2 diabetes.

James, my surgery are by their own words, drowing in T2s, so I doubt they would be inclined to do as you suggest. Of course, that doesn't mean it 100% doesn't happen.
OGTT are the hospital tests :). Could well be the answer as I've never got a good result on one of those ... Had to fight a diagnosis of gestational diabetes with my first based on an OGTT.

Which also makes me wonder about my current high morning counts! My OGTTs were always fasting overnight, I cannot get my morning counts down at the moment so there must be a link.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
OGTT are the hospital tests :). Could well be the answer as I've never got a good result on one of those ... Had to fight a diagnosis of gestational diabetes with my first based on an OGTT.

Which also makes me wonder about my current high morning counts! My OGTTs were always fasting overnight, I cannot get my morning counts down at the moment so there must be a link.

I think you may have your answer to your status, but worthwhile asking next you have an appointment.

In my experience, and lots of others have reported the same, he fasting levels can be the last to snap into line. Stick with it!

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
Hi @callieuk ,
One way to look at things is that there may be a gradual progression over time . Your pancreas gland has been striuggling for years, first recognised by the pre-diabetes diagnosis, then at some point, despite the same diet etc your pancreas gland started becoming more tired out and the blood sugars became less able to be controlled. When and how easily this occurs and when to start any treatment depends on how regular ckecks ste and what regulations there are about whem medications can be prescibed And how much emphasis doctors place on diets as the first step in treatment. In some places i ave heard doctors will be pre-emptive with diet and with medication, even though the latter might be started before regulations allow. My impression is that all type 2s gradually progress over years, depending on how well they manage their weight and whether other illnesses intervene to make matters worse sooner or not.

callieuk

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you all for your replies - have been to see the PN today :). No increase in the gliclazide yet :) although after I mentioned my high ogtt/fasting link she has suggested taking the Gliclazide at night to see if it lowers the morning result :)

Couple of pinches in my kidney area the last couple of days has resulted in a dip test and now also have MacroBID (antibiotics) for my woes! They better work, I'm on holiday next week! Blood tests all due when I'm back from hols :)