How Long Is The Wait For Retinal Screening?

BibaBee

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My husband was diagnosed a couple of weeks ago after being rushed into hospital with a suspected stroke. It turned out to be Bell's Palsy but his HBA1C was sky high at 122 and raised ketones (1.3). He was kept in hospital for four nights whilst they stabilised his levels, which was a challenge due to the high dose steroids used to treat the Palsy. He has extreme anxiety and depression and all of this has been extremely distressing for him.

A fortnight on, we are still adjusting to the regime of insulin 3 times a day and glucose monitoring. The problem is that his vision is so poor at the moment, that he cannot do the monitoring himself. This is also taking it's toll on his mental health. He not only has blurred vision, which seems to fluctate, but also has flashes, wavy lines and grey clouds. He has had problems with visual disturbance over the past 18 months, but would not seek medical attention due to his anxiety. He is convinced he will lose his sight and no longer be able to work. It is heartbreaking.

On the positive side, levels are right down (I understand this may be the reason why his vision has worsened so quickly). We are tapering the insulin doses now, hopefully with a view to coming off the insulin.

We speak with our DN tomorrow and will ask if retinal screening can be prioritised due to the changes in his vision and on mental health grounds. Any idea how long it usually takes? I'm at a loss at what else to do.....

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I am not sure that retinal screening is what is needed, as it is just that, inspecting the retinal for bleeds or bubbles - some common occurrences when BG is high.
Changes in the focal length of the lens is normal when the BG levels change rapidly, but the flashes etc are not something I have ever seen mentioned and it might be a good idea to get further advice on it rather than waiting for an appointment which could be of no great assistance.
I hope that the lowered BG levels will help, but do reassure your husband that with all the monitoring done these days, plus the ability to test all the time with the small meters does mean that something close to normality is the usual outcome for many diabetics once the initial period of adjustment passes.
As you are reducing the insulin with a view to stopping it the diagnosis must have been type two - so there is a chance that your husband could eventually be diet only - with luck.

Reactions: BibaBee

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
The guidelines say retinal screening should be done within the first 3 months after diagnosis. However, it all depends on how your area organises this. In my area the screening team visits periodically and you have to wait for them to visit. Other areas have different methods. Your nurse will be able to tell you.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My retinal screening was done at a local optician so I just rang up and made an appt. so it was very soon after diagnosis.
However as others have said the fluctuating blood sugars probably account for some of his sight problems.

Dark Horse

Retinal screening for diabetic retinopathy should occur within 89 days of diagnosis (approximately 3 months). However, it is a screening test so is aimed at people who have no symptoms. If symptoms are present, your husband should go and have them checked at the optician ASAP. It is helpful to close each eye separately to establish in which eye the symptoms are occurring.

Reactions: Struma

CornishKate

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
My husband was diagnosed a couple of weeks ago after being rushed into hospital with a suspected stroke. It turned out to be Bell's Palsy but his HBA1C was sky high at 122 and raised ketones (1.3). He was kept in hospital for four nights whilst they stabilised his levels, which was a challenge due to the high dose steroids used to treat the Palsy. He has extreme anxiety and depression and all of this has been extremely distressing for him.

A fortnight on, we are still adjusting to the regime of insulin 3 times a day and glucose monitoring. The problem is that his vision is so poor at the moment, that he cannot do the monitoring himself. This is also taking it's toll on his mental health. He not only has blurred vision, which seems to fluctate, but also has flashes, wavy lines and grey clouds. He has had problems with visual disturbance over the past 18 months, but would not seek medical attention due to his anxiety. He is convinced he will lose his sight and no longer be able to work. It is heartbreaking.

On the positive side, levels are right down (I understand this may be the reason why his vision has worsened so quickly). We are tapering the insulin doses now, hopefully with a view to coming off the insulin.

We speak with our DN tomorrow and will ask if retinal screening can be prioritised due to the changes in his vision and on mental health grounds. Any idea how long it usually takes? I'm at a loss at what else to do.....
Hi, my vision was blurry (and worse after hospitalisation) for about 3 weeks and then over a weekend it went completely back to normal. I was diagnosed 3 months ago and I’ve just been for my eye check last week xxx

Jaz006

I'm off to have my retinal eye screening on Monday. 4 weeks after being diagnosed. Sunglasses to the ready.

Jay-Marc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The blurriness would most probably be from Transient Hyperopia and is a typical sign of decreasing sugar levels. This in itself is not a concern and usually self-corrects after 6-8 weeks (tends to be more pronounced and longer-lasting the higher HbA1c was at diagnosis). Cheap ready-readers of an appropriate strength can do the correction in the meantime.

The other symptoms are not general and therefore examination seems sensible especially since they have been around for some time before diagnosis.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Screening varies around the country. Mine is done at the local hospital and appointments are flexible and easy to get. Local opticians equipment is now almost as good as the hospital stuff except you don't get the eye drops to dilate the pupil.