Ice Cream

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have seen lots of threads on diabetic ice cream/Oppo and the like.

I found I had been missing a trick by defrosting berries to have with cream. I added cream to frozen raspberries. The cream froze.

So, with Wimbledon on the horizon, why not slice a portion of strawberries into a bowl, mash slightly with a fork. Add cream and mix. Stick in the freezer for an hour or so. Lots cheaper than shop bought.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Nice one!

I use this recipe, but it does need a blender that can crunch up ice cubes. Weaker blenders burn out when confronted by ice or frozen fruit.
I use frozen berries, double cream and erythritol

Reactions: lorraine95

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I have just bought an icecream maker - the sort where you put a bowl into the freezer then mix with a paddle.
The recipes given in the book have so far resulted in rock hard icecream so I will be going back to the cream and egg custards my grandmother used to make her 'forget me not' recipe to see if she knew better than these modern folks.

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I like OPPO icecream but I will try making icecream myself. I'm not keen on berries though, and looking at flavourings that can be bought online, they don't seem to contain sugar.

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I like OPPO icecream but I will try making icecream myself. I'm not keen on berries though, and looking at flavourings that can be bought online, they don't seem to contain sugar.
If you find any that are truly sugar free, post them here please!

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I think you can get sugar free syrups on Amazon. I think there are used in coffee but have heard that people put them over fruit and ice cream

Reactions: xfieldok

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have a freezing plate - make any flavour you like with just cream or coconut milk/cream, it's great and very quick - I love it :)

Reactions: Prem51

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I think you can get sugar free syrups on Amazon. I think there are used in coffee but have heard that people put them over fruit and ice cream
I just ordered flavourings for rose, lychee and coconut. I will have a look at the syrups, thanks.
I looked at some of those flavouring syrups. The nutritional information states zero carbs and sugars. But then under the ingredients it says 500ml of brown sugar, in a 500ml bottle! You do only use a few drops though.
If I can be bothered I might contact Amazon to say the information is incorrect.

Reactions: xfieldok

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I looked at some of those flavouring syrups. The nutritional information states zero carbs and sugars. But then under the ingredients it says 500ml of brown sugar, in a 500ml bottle! You do only use a few drops though.
If I can be bothered I might contact Amazon to say the information is incorrect.

I have not used any but heard about them here on the group I looked at some on Amazon ie Monins, Josephs and Active Foods they have sucralose and Stevian which as you would expect is stevia sweetener there are many others

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
These are sugar free - they use Stevia (on Amazon):

Screenshot 2019-02-23 at 09.10.47.png

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

We got the ingredients for this but struggled with the confectioners sweetner.

Reactions: Bogie