Dr Bernstein Talking About Why Doctors Tell People With Type1 To Run High

dbr10

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Well that proves everything doesn't it, he's alive, unlike all the other diabetics who are also alive without his methods.
No it doesn't, but you deliberately omitted that he's been type 1 for 71 years. That is an achievement by any standards.

Reactions: lucylocket61

jlarsson

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
mods who selectively modify posts for explicit language that isn't explicit
No it doesn't, but you deliberately omitted that he's been type 1 for 71 years. That is an achievement by any standards.
I'm not denying that at all, or that he knows what he's doing, if anything I'm in agreement there. I'm questioning the seemingly blind faith in him that seems to be the case on these forums, that his advice is the silver bullet.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Posts have been removed on this thread for expressing views that broke the forum rules.

Personal attacks on fellow members, non members or medical professionals will not be tolerated and will be removed.
Further attacks will result in thread bans and more sanctions against the member making the posts.

kokhongw

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm questioning the seemingly blind faith in him that seems to be the case on these forums, that his advice is the silver bullet.

If the standard guidelines had worked for them as it did for you, I doubt those families who have decided to adopt a generally unsupported and often ridiculed dietary protocol. And if it did not provide any benefits, I doubt they would have stuck to it...so their faith in his protocol are unlikely to be blind.

Reactions: dbr10

jlarsson

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
If the standard guidelines had worked for them as it did for you, I doubt those families who have decided to adopt a generally unsupported and often ridiculed dietary protocol. And if it did not provide any benefits, I doubt they would have stuck to it...so their faith in his protocol are unlikely to be blind.
I don't know what you're on about, I don't follow any particular diet or guidelines, I've set my own habits based on what works for me or what I happen to like or want regardless of what anyone else says, just like everyone else should. Some will likely find that what Bernstein or whichever other worshipped doctor or author or whatever says works great for them, some won't, much like every other aspect of life. As has been said before in this thread, we have these wonderful things called insulin pens, or pumps, we use them to make our bodies behave as they would in someone not diabetic regardless of what we eat or drink.

Circuspony

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I do think meals with low carbs are easier to manage insulin-wise, but for me it would be pretty depressing to live without carbs. I try and time the eating of them to avoid the roller coaster BG effect.

I haven't found the nhs saying to you should run high, just that they know a low hba1c likely means a person is having a lot of hypos. My last one was 49 and I think I'd need a libre to get much lower safely.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
:) for me a milk soaked softened Weetabix is pleasure in a bowl :p but only with a little Candrel dusted on the top, 17 or so grams carbs with a slow digest, for my 'regime' using for supper works a treat as my days activity levels impact on my sleeping bloods, a lazy day has me skipping supper and a working.training day can see me eating 2 :)

I used to love one Weetabix, with semi skimmed milk, no sweetener or sugar either, a simple brekki.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Now here's a funny thing, if I eat shredded wheat instead of weetabix I get an immediate spike and what appears to be insulin resistance, and they're roughly the same carbs.

Which is a shame as sw was my childhood cereal of choice, soaked in ice cold milk till they soften covered in sugar :p

Sorry Kev, but SW, :yuck: lol

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Big shout out for Shredded Wheat. My sugars would fulfil the running high with these. But my goodness yummy!

kokhongw

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I don't know what you're on about, I don't follow any particular diet or guidelines, I've set my own habits based on what works for me or what I happen to like or want regardless of what anyone else says, just like everyone else should. Some will likely find that what Bernstein or whichever other worshipped doctor or author or whatever says works great for them, some won't, much like every other aspect of life. As has been said before in this thread, we have these wonderful things called insulin pens, or pumps, we use them to make our bodies behave as they would in someone not diabetic regardless of what we eat or drink.

I am simply pointing out that those who chose to follow Bernstein protocols may not be half as blind as some would like to believe. And they range from families with 3 year old T1D to those would are over 80...

They often have to overcome years of derisive and dismissive attitudes from their healthcare providers for chosing this path of achieving and maintain near normal glucose levels...
https://www.facebook.com/Type1Grit/...6267309865366/888003311358428/?type=3&theater

22467648_888003311358428_5647506511574243411_o.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: CathP and dbr10

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bigotry, reliance on unsupported 'facts', unkindness, unfairness.
I think that whatever regime a T1 follows, if it keeps them healthy, provides BG that’s as steady as possible and as close to ‘normal’ as possible then that’s fantastic!
Docs and DSNs are worried about hypo risk and IMO they’ve not all made a transition, yet, to recognising the benefits of using a libre with a programme that gives alarms. Many cannot afford this and most won’t have it funded by the poor, struggling NHS. Docs and DSNs treat lots of people, not just us, they’ve a great deal to get their heads around. I’m not going to condemn them because they believe it’s safer for some to run higher than I’d like to, but if I can manage good BG without lots of hypos then I’ll keep on running MY T1 the way that works for me. And if a doc or DSN is on my side then I’m very happy.
We’re all different.
I’ve seen in this thread that the discussion of carbs has become heated, which is a shame, as I’d rather be reading a thread that respects differences and applauds success.
I’m also a little disturbed by the hints that a T2 approach is relevant to a T1 who’s got a different load of management elements to consider, despite the crossover in certain similarities. And vice versa.
So I’m just happy to say, to all T1s and T2s who’ve taken this D thing on and got a good life, that’s brilliant. Fantastic. Yippeedoo!

Reactions: becca59 and Antje77

Shiba Park

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I think that whatever regime a T1 follows, if it keeps them healthy, provides BG that’s as steady as possible and as close to ‘normal’ as possible then that’s fantastic!
Docs and DSNs are worried about hypo risk and IMO they’ve not all made a transition, yet, to recognising the benefits of using a libre with a programme that gives alarms. Many cannot afford this and most won’t have it funded by the poor, struggling NHS. Docs and DSNs treat lots of people, not just us, they’ve a great deal to get their heads around. I’m not going to condemn them because they believe it’s safer for some to run higher than I’d like to, but if I can manage good BG without lots of hypos then I’ll keep on running MY T1 the way that works for me. And if a doc or DSN is on my side then I’m very happy.
We’re all different.
I’ve seen in this thread that the discussion of carbs has become heated, which is a shame, as I’d rather be reading a thread that respects differences and applauds success.
I’m also a little disturbed by the hints that a T2 approach is relevant to a T1 who’s got a different load of management elements to consider, despite the crossover in certain similarities. And vice versa.
So I’m just happy to say, to all T1s and T2s who’ve taken this D thing on and got a good life, that’s brilliant. Fantastic. Yippeedoo!
I wonder if the balance of pro's and con's for high/low carb is related to the bolus insulin people use? Until recently I was using Humalog - no need to pre-bolus and no big spikes and a good hba1c. Carby meals were just not a problem. I'm now using Novorapid and it's just not working for me; the more carbs in a meal, the bigger the spike. Pre-bolusing is on a knife edge, I just can't get it right... always go higher than I used to or too low. Are people actually just compensating for the inadequacies of their insulin?

Shiba.

Reactions: LooperCat

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

kokhongw

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
No where in that interview does he mention blood glucose monitoring systems. They are a game changer for dealing with highs and lows whether low carbing or not.

You might have missed this...
"I am not sure my dietary approach is unique but it is different from the conventional advice for type 1 diabetes. With the advent of modern insulin analogues around 20 years ago, there was a notion that a person with type 1 diabetes can eat whatever they like, as long as they inject the correct dose of insulin.

This even influenced the name of DAFNE – dose adjustment for normal eating. The years since then have convinced me that this is just not true. Yes, you can eat a large bowl of pasta with over 100 grams of carbohydrate and inject a large dose of insulin to cover it, but even using the most advanced insulin pumps, it will be very difficult to maintain glucose levels in the normal range for several hours afterwards. A large dose of insulin also increases the risk of hypoglycaemia."

kokhongw

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
No where in that interview does he mention blood glucose monitoring systems. They are a game changer for dealing with highs and lows whether low carbing or not.

This study also shows that CGM may not be the silver bullet for everyone either...
https://www.diabetesdaily.com/blog/increased-cgm-use-not-improving-a1c-outcomes-ada-2018-579971/

"Surprisingly, they found that although CGM use increased from ~7% to ~28% over the recent years, most dramatically in children, the users’ average A1c levels did not improve.

While the A1C levels among CGM users are lower than that of non-users, the A1C levels among both groups are on the rise. “Despite adjustments for differences in age and diabetes duration, mean HbA1c levels increased over time (from 8.2% in 2010-12 to 8.6% in 2016-17), with the greatest rise in participants 13-25 years old,” the researchers stated in their study abstract."

jlarsson

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Sounds like he's not aware of openAPS, most likely because it's not FDA approved.

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2

I expect he kept to what was under people's own control, as these systems are not easy to get on the NHS at present.