Breakfast Cereals

smc4761

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Are there any breakfast cereals out there, which do not cause spikes with BG.

There is so much conflicting info out there is actually very confusing

I do like my cereal in morning so not looking for alternatives to cereal eg weetabix, porridge, corn flakes etc, just which one would be better than granola which is causing me to rise from about 7 to 11 after 2 hours

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
From time to time I make granola bars using coconut oil as the binding ingredient.

No way could I eat the cereals you mention. In addition, what are you using in the way of milk?

Engineer88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
No, no cereals are available that don't cause a massive spike, its kind of in the name being made of cereals ie grain.

smc4761

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Using semi skimmed milk.

I tend to stick to pretty much portion control as recommended on packet eg 45g of granola, 2 weetabix etc

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Using semi skimmed milk.

I tend to stick to pretty much portion control as recommended on packet eg 45g of granola, 2 weetabix etc
Semi skimmed has more lactose or sugar than full fat. If you must have cereals try double cream with a bit of water.

I would drop the cereals altogether. They are not doing you any good.

Any reason you can't make bacon and egg?

Alison Campbell

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Have you tried the Aldi Nut paleo musli? It had some good feedback with moderate lower carbers and some type 1's I think @mytype1.life tried this?

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm afraid that by their very nature, cereals are high carb - weetabix I picked up yesterday was 70 percent carbs - my maximum is 10 percent. I put it down fairly quickly.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
There are a few very expensive muesli low carb options available. But I baulk at the price.

And I have made this several times for Mr B - it is a firm favourite of his, and he says it is better than Crunchy Nut Cornflakes.
High praise indeed, eh?
Of course the ingredients are also expensive, and it requires time and effort to make.
As well as being very high calorie...
https://www.ditchthecarbs.com/grain-free-cinnamon-crunch/

There are quite a few other LC breakfast bar or cereal options around, but they all require making them up yourself, or paying very high prices for pre-made.

https://alldayidreamaboutfood.com/25-delicious-low-carb-grain-free-cereal-recipes/

https://www.gnom-gnom.com/grain-free-keto-cinnamon-toast-crunch/

smc4761

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks for all the tips. Bacon and eggs would be just to expensive every day as well as time consuming, compared to popping a couple of Weetabix etc in a bowl with some milk. Some of the low carb granolas are very expensive compared to say Aldi, Sainsbury etc

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Traditional breakfasts are what we have been conditioned to eat.

You can eat anything in your fridge. Cheese, nuts, olives. Beware very sweet tomatoes.

Tomorrow I might well have leftover cottage pie made with celeriac topping instead of potato.

Sideburnt

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Eat Natural Super Granola Almonds & Honey

It's 35g per 100g so a lot lower than anything else I've found.

Ian DP

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Chips
Try a handful of sliced almonds and double cream. I have this every morning I awake,before a later egg and bacon fry up

Reactions: dbr10

dbr10

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Try a handful of sliced almonds and double cream. I have this every morning I awake,before a later egg and bacon fry up
Sounds good. I tend to alternate between nuts and yoghurt and bacon and eggs.

Sideburnt

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It's just part of the overall marketing. The actual content of honey is next to nothing per serving. I usually go for around a 20g of carb portion and mix in greek yoghurt.

Yes I'm T1, but if anything that makes me more aware of carbs in the morning coupled with morning insulin resistance any hit to blood sugar lingers for up to 3 hours which is murder. Bolus doses of insulin absorb especially slowly in the morning. I also don't like to hammer the egg meat combo all the time for breakfast so the above option is excellent.

bamba

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Thanks for all the tips. Bacon and eggs would be just to expensive every day as well as time consuming, compared to popping a couple of Weetabix etc in a bowl with some milk. Some of the low carb granolas are very expensive compared to say Aldi, Sainsbury etc

Cook some sausages and bacon in bulk + some scambled egg - keeps in fridge approx 3 days.
Warm up in microwave just before eating.