Type 1 Bad Habits

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
Some years ago I managed to get through a 5 kg plastic jar of Nutella over the space of 15 months. but bolussed for each spoonful, honest!!
Lancets sure last a long time and the tips can look gross under a microscope !!
I have repurposed used parts of pump reservoirs and needle sets (but not the sharps) for kite fittings,
I tried in vain to persuade the pump company to change the tune on the general alarm from Fur Elise to anything else, claiming near insanity as a reason !!!
On canoe trips in hot weather I would keep my insulin cool overnight by floating some of it in a fine mesh net, within a pool near the river. Thank heavens there were no floods or hungry animals !!
In the good old days when sharps bins had not been invented I kept at final count of 100 used disposable needles in my travel case until I could get home and find a suitable place to discard of them (a hospital near home).

Tony337

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being on holiday....
Mentally carb counting for people I don't like. Completely pointless but helps me get through awkward social events.

On holiday in the all inclusive restaurant I'm quite well known for muttering quietly to my wife......

"did you see all that food on that plate I'd have to take an armful of insulin to cope with that..."

I do frown at other peoples eating habits...........

Tony

Reactions: CornishKate

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Once in a while, I take five times my usual amount of insulin and eat an entire packet of chocolate digestives in one go...
I also didn't change my lancet for two years!
If testing during the choc biscuit binge do wash your hands to avoid fake sky high readings not caused by chocolate digestives...

Ambulance drivers once accused my husband of beating me up when called because I had hypo'd and gotten a black eye. They did not believe him until he pointed out that my high bg reading was in fact the honey on my fingers that they had failed to clean off when testing.

hodders

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Not so much my bad habit but I do go along with it so I have to confess. When a work colleague asks if I could have time out for a hypo even when I am not. So we can both have a break.

Reactions: CornishKate

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Looking at peoples shopping trolleys in the supermarket and then thinking you have to be joking. And why should I feel guilty about my NHS drain when you will probably need them far more than me eventually.

Reactions: Fairygodmother

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Telling my wife I think I'm a bit low when she questions why I'm not helping with gardening, cleaning, decorating, pot washing or having a discussion.
Problem then is I have to eat :banghead::banghead::banghead:
If I'm lucky I get a 20 minute reprieve but I can only get away with it once.:):):)

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
Telling my wife I think I'm a bit low when she questions why I'm not helping with gardening, cleaning, decorating, pot washing or having a discussion.
Problem then is I have to eat :banghead::banghead::banghead:
If I'm lucky I get a 20 minute reprieve but I can only get away with it once.:):):)
So now telling lies raises blood sugars too!

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Looking at peoples shopping trolleys in the supermarket and then thinking you have to be joking. And why should I feel guilty about my NHS drain when you will probably need them far more than me eventually.
The people in my local supermarket must think I'm a total health nut with all the greens I buy for the guinea pigs :p

WJP1055

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Sugar, being overweight
I tend to overeat to correct low blood sugar - it's almost like having a treat not that I would do that on purpose!

boboblck

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Not putting needles in sharps box next to my bed but throwing into empty glass jars in kitchen or handbag for weeks!

Not changing lancet...

Not using the bs meter zip bag thing and just throwing everything into hand bag..

Not organising any of my diabetes things and just having them in random drawers throughout my house

Guessing carbs and insulin stacking...

Loving the injecting 5 times normal amount post to eat a packet of chocolate biscuits hahaha have been contemplating doing that after a rough day at work