Starting Again. On Meds But No Testing?

Kuromi2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi, I joined this site years ago when I was diagnosed and did ok for a while, then life got a little stressful ( a lot stressful ) and I fell off the band waggon in a big way. I am talking completely ignoring my diabetes ( type 2 ) and eating whatever I wanted when ever I wanted, sweet tooth so not just one chocolate bar a day but several, plus everything else naughty you can think of. I also became vegetarian in this time, so no meat etc. I guess I eat for comfort a lot, as does my partner, we doing go out drinking etc as our wee girl is 10 and profoundly disabled. I am ashamed to admit that this Diabetes diagnosis really peed me off, its like omg life hard enough and now they are taking my only treat away from me too....Grrrrr

But now I have decided to take the matter into my own hands because I have been experiencing complications I can only assume are to do with my diabetes, and I have to be around for my daughter as long as I can.. so I made an appointment with the diabetic nurse after my Dr gave me a royal telling off and the nurse started me immediately on Metformin. However I am frightened to take them as I am an emetiphobe ( an extreme fear of vomiting, so bad I have had to leave the house when someone is ill indoors, even my child! I know that sounds awful and I feel guilty so much, but luckily my partner is great and can take over )

So yes I have read the meds can cause you to be sick so I cant make myself take them. Anyone know if there si an alternative med that doesn't have the side effect of vomiting? Also.... I am not allowed to have a glucose testing thing so how do i find out if I am at the right blood glucose level either on or off the meds. Am wondering if taking anti-sickness drugs at the same time might take away that side effect.

Any advice would be so appreciated x

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Kuromi2 and wel come back! I’ll tag in @daisy1 to post her welcome info as a reminder for you.
I take Metformin and luckily it didn’t make me feel sick, but did have problems the other end for a week, sorry TMI! Anyway less of me, do you know your currant HbA1c, as a lot of people improve their readings with just diet and you maybe able to achieve that too. Have you altered your eating habits with your renewed resolve? If so what are your menus like?
Type 2s on Metformin aren’t generally prescribed a meter and strips but as you’ve said, you’d be working blind, so many of us buy our own testing kit. If you decide to too, we can point you in the direction of the best value ones.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Although I was never actually sick taking Metformin, I did feel as thought I might be, which might be just as bad.
I would strongly recommend getting one of the 'Codefree' meters mail order so you can see progress or errors.
If you want chocolate then the highest amount of cocoa types are the best, but I find that even without medication as long as I stick to foods with under 11 percent carbs, other than the occasional piece of chocolate, then I am fine and have normal numbers.
I have found that I have been feeling a lot younger, stronger and more energetic since getting my BG down to normal levels, so hopefully you will be fortunate enough to do the same.

D

Deleted member 308541

I take Metformin, and I have had no problems with either fast acting or extended release.

Reactions: Kuromi2

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
@Kuromi2

Hello Kuromi2 and welcome to the Forum :) Here is the Basic Information we give to new members and I hope you will find it useful. Ask as many questions as you want and someone will be able to help.

BASIC INFORMATION FOR NEW MEMBERS

Diabetes is the general term to describe people who have blood that is sweeter than normal. A number of different types of diabetes exist.

A diagnosis of diabetes tends to be a big shock for most of us. It’s far from the end of the world though and on this forum you'll find well over 235,000 people who are demonstrating this.

On the forum we have found that with the number of new people being diagnosed with diabetes each day, sometimes the NHS is not being able to give all the advice it would perhaps like to deliver - particularly with regards to people with type 2 diabetes.

The role of carbohydrate

Carbohydrates are a factor in diabetes because they ultimately break down into sugar (glucose) within our blood. We then need enough insulin to either convert the blood sugar into energy for our body, or to store the blood sugar as body fat.

If the amount of carbohydrate we take in is more than our body’s own (or injected) insulin can cope with, then our blood sugar will rise.

The bad news

Research indicates that raised blood sugar levels over a period of years can lead to organ damage, commonly referred to as diabetic complications.

The good news

People on the forum here have shown that there is plenty of opportunity to keep blood sugar levels from going too high. It’s a daily task but it’s within our reach and it’s well worth the effort.

Controlling your carbs

The info below is primarily aimed at people with type 2 diabetes, however, it may also be of benefit for other types of diabetes as well.

There are two approaches to controlling your carbs:
  • Reduce your carbohydrate intake
  • Choose ‘better’ carbohydrates
Reduce your carbohydrates

A large number of people on this forum have chosen to reduce the amount of carbohydrates they eat as they have found this to be an effective way of improving (lowering) their blood sugar levels.

The carbohydrates which tend to have the most pronounced effect on blood sugar levels tend to be starchy carbohydrates such as rice, pasta, bread, potatoes and similar root vegetables, flour based products (pastry, cakes, biscuits, battered food etc) and certain fruits.

Choosing better carbohydrates

The low glycaemic index diet is often favoured by healthcare professionals but some people with diabetes find that low GI does not help their blood sugar enough and may wish to cut out these foods altogether.

Read more on carbohydrates and diabetes.

Over 145,000 people have taken part in the Low Carb Program - a 10 week structured education course that is helping people lose weight and reduce medication dependency by explaining the science behind carbs, insulin and GI.

Eating what works for you

Different people respond differently to different types of food. What works for one person may not work so well for another. The best way to see which foods are working for you is to test your blood sugar with a glucose meter.

To be able to see what effect a particular type of food or meal has on your blood sugar is to do a test before the meal and then test after the meal. A test 2 hours after the meal gives a good idea of how your body has reacted to the meal.

The blood sugar ranges recommended by NICE are as follows:

Blood glucose ranges for type 2 diabetes
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 8.5 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (adults)
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 9 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (children)
  • Before meals: 4 to 8 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 10 mmol/l
However, those that are able to, may wish to keep blood sugar levels below the NICE after meal targets.

Access to blood glucose test strips

The NICE guidelines suggest that people newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes should be offered:
  • structured education to every person and/or their carer at and around the time of diagnosis, with annual reinforcement and review
  • self-monitoring of plasma glucose to a person newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes only as an integral part of his or her self-management education

Therefore both structured education and self-monitoring of blood glucose should be offered to people with type 2 diabetes. Read more on getting access to blood glucose testing supplies.

You may also be interested to read questions to ask at a diabetic clinic.

Note: This post has been edited from Sue/Ken's post to include up to date information.
Take part in Diabetes.co.uk digital education programs and improve your understanding. Most of these are free.

• Low Carb Program - it's made front-page news of the New Scientist and The Times. Developed with 20,000 people with type 2 diabetes; 96% of people who take part recommend it... find out why

• Hypo Program - improve your understanding of hypos. There's a version for people with diabetes, parents/guardians of children with type 1, children with type 1 diabetes, teachers and HCPs.

NewTD2

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi, I joined this site years ago when I was diagnosed and did ok for a while, then life got a little stressful ( a lot stressful ) and I fell off the band waggon in a big way. I am talking completely ignoring my diabetes ( type 2 ) and eating whatever I wanted when ever I wanted, sweet tooth so not just one chocolate bar a day but several, plus everything else naughty you can think of. I also became vegetarian in this time, so no meat etc. I guess I eat for comfort a lot, as does my partner, we doing go out drinking etc as our wee girl is 10 and profoundly disabled. I am ashamed to admit that this Diabetes diagnosis really peed me off, its like omg life hard enough and now they are taking my only treat away from me too....Grrrrr

But now I have decided to take the matter into my own hands because I have been experiencing complications I can only assume are to do with my diabetes, and I have to be around for my daughter as long as I can.. so I made an appointment with the diabetic nurse after my Dr gave me a royal telling off and the nurse started me immediately on Metformin. However I am frightened to take them as I am an emetiphobe ( an extreme fear of vomiting, so bad I have had to leave the house when someone is ill indoors, even my child! I know that sounds awful and I feel guilty so much, but luckily my partner is great and can take over )

So yes I have read the meds can cause you to be sick so I cant make myself take them. Anyone know if there si an alternative med that doesn't have the side effect of vomiting? Also.... I am not allowed to have a glucose testing thing so how do i find out if I am at the right blood glucose level either on or off the meds. Am wondering if taking anti-sickness drugs at the same time might take away that side effect.

Any advice would be so appreciated x[/QUOTE

I recommend these chocolates instead -

Lindt 85% - 99% dark chocolates.

Cavalier chocolates (sweetened with Stevia) - available at either Ocado.com or Waitrose.

Birdwoman

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

I know nothing about Metformin at all but can totally sympathise with you with your little girl and the sick thing, I have both of these tee shirts!! Is there a support group you can join for your daughters problems? A lot of them can help with just knowing you are not on your own and to talk to people who have been there and understand the difficulties can help a lot. I can totally see how you fell off the wagon with all the worry you must of had but as you say, you have to be there for your daughter! I hope things have become a bit easier for you in your mind now and am pleased you are now taking control of your problems too now!!

Big hugs to you both

Phoenix55

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Welcome back. As you say, to be put on medication with a review in several months time means that you are fighting blindfold. It is an additional expense with a disabled child but it is a real asset to know what your body is reacting to, we are all different. If you can stretch to it, a meter is really worthwhile. So far I have managed to avoid Metformin but you may be able to reduce medication by changing your diet with the help of the meter. There is a lot of help with suggestions elsewhere on the site. Usually Metformin does not make people sick, although a few may feel nauseous. If it is going to be problematic it is with the other end of the digestive tract, which means a whole range of different problems. If it is difficult and persistent then go back to your doctor and ask for the slow release form.
A bar of high percentage chocolate in the fridge with a single square as a treat means that you don't feel deprived and can stop at just a single square, but a few strawberries with cream are delicious at this time of year.

Kuromi2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Kuromi2 and wel come back! I’ll tag in @daisy1 to post her welcome info as a reminder for you.
I take Metformin and luckily it didn’t make me feel sick, but did have problems the other end for a week, sorry TMI! Anyway less of me, do you know your currant HbA1c, as a lot of people improve their readings with just diet and you maybe able to achieve that too. Have you altered your eating habits with your renewed resolve? If so what are your menus like?
Type 2s on Metformin aren’t generally prescribed a meter and strips but as you’ve said, you’d be working blind, so many of us buy our own testing kit. If you decide to too, we can point you in the direction of the best value ones.

Hi there!

Thanks for the response, I did have my bloods taken but haven't had the bottle to call and find out the results ( I may do that in a minute and update on here ) they are going to be crazy high but thats to be expected. I haven't began the diet yet, that starts tomorrow when my shop order gets delivered. As far as menus go I am a bit clueless really so I have ordered salads, fruits, low carb treats by the Atkins brand ( so expensive! ) I will buy a monitor and would be grateful for guidance there. x

Kuromi2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Although I was never actually sick taking Metformin, I did feel as thought I might be, which might be just as bad.
I would strongly recommend getting one of the 'Codefree' meters mail order so you can see progress or errors.
If you want chocolate then the highest amount of cocoa types are the best, but I find that even without medication as long as I stick to foods with under 11 percent carbs, other than the occasional piece of chocolate, then I am fine and have normal numbers.
I have found that I have been feeling a lot younger, stronger and more energetic since getting my BG down to normal levels, so hopefully you will be fortunate enough to do the same.

Hi there

Thanks for the reply, I haven't began the change of eating yet, that begins tomorrow when my food shopping arrives from Tesco :D actually a bit excited now! I will look into the codefree meters, I think its going to be essential for me in order just to know what is going to help. Thats really interesting regarding how many carbs 11 percent that makes things a bit easier to work out, thank you!

Kuromi2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I know nothing about Metformin at all but can totally sympathise with you with your little girl and the sick thing, I have both of these tee shirts!! Is there a support group you can join for your daughters problems? A lot of them can help with just knowing you are not on your own and to talk to people who have been there and understand the difficulties can help a lot. I can totally see how you fell off the wagon with all the worry you must of had but as you say, you have to be there for your daughter! I hope things have become a bit easier for you in your mind now and am pleased you are now taking control of your problems too now!!

Big hugs to you both

Thank you! Yes, she is the best motivator for me now, that and I have began to have signs or neuropathy in my feet, the pads and toes are always a bit numb. Not been tested for it but I cant imagine what else it might be. Eyes have got worse too. That said I am 47 in a month or two so the eyes might just be a case of getting older, oh the joys!! I appreciate your reply, so good to know you're not alone xx

Kuromi2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

Ok so I have just got off the phone with the Drs receptionist who said my HBA1C is 123. I figure thats high..but she didn't know anything else about the test.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Ok so I have just got off the phone with the Drs receptionist who said my HBA1C is 123. I figure thats high..but she didn't know anything else about the test.
I won’t lie to you, that is high, but it has occurred to me that Metformin is available as a liquid medicine. I guess it’ll be more expensive but if it’s the difference between you being able to take it or not then they should prescribe it for you. Worth asking.

Petaluk

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I find metformin is okay with me, as long as I eat enough protein. I personally haven’t felt sick on it.
Sainsburys stocks a delicious chocolate ice cream by ‘Oppo’ which many diabetics on here love as a sweet treat alternative to chocolate ...yum!
Good luck, I personally have had great success with a low carb medium to high fat diet. It brought my fasting blood glucose levels done quickly. Buying a blood glucose meter is a must, if you put it in the search bar, above you will be directed to the low cost ones many of us use on here.
Also..btw..as a treat , I have a sweet tooth too, I buy Hartleys sugar free jelly (10 calories 0.4g carbohydrates per tub) and mix with frozen blueberries ..and if you go on a low carbohydrates high fat diet you can add double cream!

Petaluk

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Quoted from @Rachox

Here’s some info about meters:

Taken from a post by @Bluetit1802 as she wrote it so nicely:

The most popular meters for self funding T2's are the Codefree and the Tee2 because the strips are much cheaper than other meters, and you need a lot of strips. You can't buy them in pharmacies.

Try here for the Codefree meter

http://homehealth-uk.com/product-category/blood-glucose/blood-glucose-monitor/

and here for the extra strips

http://homehealth-uk.com/all-products/sd-codefree-test-strips-to-be-used-only-with-the-sd-monitor/

There are discount codes if you buy in bulk.

5 packs 264086

10 packs 975833

The Tee2 is here and the meter is free.

http://spirit-healthcare.co.uk/product/tee2-blood-glucose-meter/

Don’t forget to check the box that you have diabetes so you can buyVAT free. (for either meter)

Reactions: Alison Campbell

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Ah - someone didn't notice that the OP is vegetarian - it does cut down the options somewhat - but with care it should be possible to reduce blood glucose levels - even those which result in a Hba1c level of 123.

Kuromi2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Ok, so hubby got me a monitor today and tried it out, I am showing as 28, from a quick google I know thats very high. Not eating anything now and will test in the morning, my shop order comes at 12.30 so will have all my healthy foods to hand. I have an interview in the morning at 9.30 so skipping breakfast won't be so bad, when i get bored i eat more... fingers crossed by this time tomorrow my bloods might be a bit better.

Kuromi2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Ok, so hubby got me a monitor today and tried it out, I am showing as 28, from a quick google I know thats very high. Not eating anything now and will test in the morning, my shop order comes at 12.30 so will have all my healthy foods to hand. I have an interview in the morning at 9.30 so skipping breakfast won't be so bad, when i get bored i eat more... fingers crossed by this time tomorrow my bloods might be a bit better.

edited to day 14 this morning