Help Urgent! Lada Just Taken 26 Units Of Bolus Instead Of Basal

diabolic sister

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
What an idiot. I've just injected my night time basal dose but used 26 units of novorapid by mistake. BG was around 6. I've taken 400ml juice, 6 glucose tabs and a slab of white bread slathered in honey.

scotteric

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
What an idiot. I've just injected my night time basal dose but used 26 units of novorapid by mistake. BG was around 6. I've taken 400ml juice, 6 glucose tabs and a slab of white bread slathered in honey.

I think you need to eat food that is very high in protein and fat so that it will keep digesting for hours. Juice, glucose tablets and bread won't cut it, way too quick acting and you'll be low again fast. Order a pizza!

jackthejoker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm not type 1...but my 9 year old daughter is....thats why i'm up so late checking her blood....I guess you should stay up and check bs throughout the night...?? How many carbs would you normally consume for 26 units of novorapid....??? Maybe eat enough to balance it out...?? Hope you'll be safe...

Reactions: diabolic sister

diabolic sister

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I think you need to eat food that is very high in protein and fat so that it will keep digesting for hours. Juice, glucose tablets and bread won't cut it, way too quick acting and you'll be low again fast. Order a pizza!
Order pizza, not where I live sadly.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Bg rising. I'm going to set my alarm every hour and test.

Hi @diabolic sister ,

I hope you're OK. The wrong insulin can happen...

The Novorapid will stay active for upto 5 hours, depending on what carbs you ate to counteract the dose given & the whole digestive process of the carbs working with the novorapid's working profile? You may find a drop around the 3.5/4th hour. So keep a close eye on the BGs...

Did you remember to administer your basal?

diabolic sister

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @diabolic sister ,

The Novorapid will stay active for upto 5 hours, depending on what carbs you ate to counteract the dose given & the whole digestive process of the carbs working with the novorapid's working profile? You may find a drop around the 3.5/4th hour. So keep a close eye on the BGs...

Hi Jaylee thank you Obviously I've made it through the night, and woken up with high by. I didn't take the basal as I was too worried about having so much insulin. I'll take it now though.

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hi @diabolic sister Sadly this does happen, only takes a moment and a lapse of concentration to pick up the wrong pen and i've done it myself.

I appreciate you were concerned about taking too much insulin, but as your basal performs a different role it's important to take it too, otherwise your running the risk of remaining high all day too, it's extra work that you don't need when you're probably already tired from sorting out the 26 units of quick acting.

Glad you're ok :)

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
Glad to hear you didn't hypo during the night. I have done this once and didn't notice I had done it. Woke up in the early hours with 2 paramedics stood over me....2 glucagon injections later and I was fine. Luckily my other half was there as she noticed me fitting! It is such an easy mistake to make thou

james11

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @diabolic sister ,

I would have missed out the basal and started fresh in the morning when i was sure any possible effects from the novorapid had passed