Libre Sensor Removal Tips

SophieVC

Does anyone please have any ides for me, I've been using the Libre Sensor for about 4 months now and I know that a lot of people have some trouble with getting the sensor to stay on for two weeks, but for some reason I have the complete opposite problem. I can never get it off, it is always so stuck on that by the time I manage to get it off I have horrific bruising from it and it has literally ripped part of my skin off. Does anyone have any tips for me to get it off easier please? Thanks!

jlarsson

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
mods who selectively modify posts for explicit language that isn't explicit
I've seen some people saying they take it off while in the shower, presumably the water makes it easier to peel off the adhesive or something, no idea if that would help.

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I use baby oil to help try and remove it, I try to rub said baby oil around the edge of it and wait a bit for it to soak in, and then apply a bit more before trying to remove it, then once I've got a bit of it off, use more baby oil under it to try and help, still get a red mark from where I've got impatient and pulled that last bit off when it didn't want to let go, because yes they stick to me like superglue as well. And yes I normally end up with very oily fingers - I tried using cotton wool buds to apply and use said oil, but I can get more accuracy just using my fingers to apply it, also I'm pretty sure the cotton wool soaked up most of the oil anyways.
I also got myself some large alcohol wipes (from Amazon) to wipe the remains of the sticky stuff off my arm as well.

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
As above baby oil, or any moisturizer should do.

Alison54321

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have a shower to take it off. I ease it off a little round the edge, and just carry on doing that until it comes off. It's a good excuse for a nice long shower, but I don't put the new one on until the old is removed

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Funkypumpers.com do a trial pack of ....Tacaway wipes. Specially designed for dressing removal £1.25 for a trial pack.
If the above fail then they may be an option.

Ledzeptt

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Liquorice and aniseed (especially the tracer I have to drink in hospital before a CT scan - yuk!)
I use the warm shower method, it only takes a few minutes once you get the water under the edge of the sensor: the glue seems to dissolve.

I’ve heard the painless way, particularly for children, is similar to @Rokaab’s suggestion: cover the Libre in baby oil and then wrap your arm in cling film. Allow time for the oil to soak in and it should easily peel away when you take off the cling film.

leo2007

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Insulin
apply few drops of mustard oil around the edges of the sensor before 30 to 45 minutes before the removal of the sensor. it will come off easily as I tried this on my son and the adhesive stopped working and it was out. my son did not complain of discomfort