Accu-check Says Hi- Should I Be Worried?

type1harley

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People who say things like "You're Diabetic? Did you eat too much sugar?"
Hi,
So I had a pizza today and my blood sugar was low before I ate so I decided to give my insulin after eating, which I then forgot to do and now my blood sugar machine says "HI". What should I do? I've been chugging water. I feel guilty because I've never had this happen before and now it has because of a careless mistake.
Any help is greatly appreciated.

scotteric

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Pizza has A LOT of carbs, so even if you're low you still have to dose at the time you eat or soon after. It also has a lot of fat and protein requiring additional injections or Actrapid insulin to deal with delayed carb digestion it will cause. HI means you are 30 or higher. You will need a lot more insulin than normal to bring you down but be careful. You may also want to test for ketones if possible.

type1harley

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Pizza has A LOT of carbs, so even if you're low you still have to dose at the time you eat or soon after. It also has a lot of fat and protein requiring additional injections or Actrapid insulin to deal with delayed carb digestion it will cause. HI means you are 30 or higher. You will need a lot more insulin than normal to bring you down but be careful. You may also want to test for ketones if possible.
I just tested my blood sugar again, I'm 31. I'll have 10 units since that's what my meter suggests and then test for ketones.

type1harley

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I just tested my blood sugar again, I'm 31. I'll have 10 units since that's what my meter suggests and then test for ketones.
Update: my ketones are 0.2 mmol/L.

**shell**

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Insects, ignorance, horror films.
Update: my ketones are 0.2 mmol/L.
@type1harley I hope your bloods settled down and you managed to get some sleep!
Don't beat yourself up too much about it, we are only human after all but of all things to forget your insulin on pizza is probably up there with the worst things to forget it on. X

Engineer88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Pizza and pasta are odd ones, If I were lot and about to eat I would treat the low and THEN eat and do the correct insulin for it.

I find it takes a while to start breaking down but carries on doing so for a long time. Knowledge for the future anyway.

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
How are you now?

K

Knikki

Problem I find with Pizza and Pasta is that when I eat them I inject and like
a couple of hours later I will be really really low, but in the morning way high.

Don't worry @type1harley we have all doen the same thing, don't panic (Mr Mainwaring) inject some insulin and keep checking your bloods.

But as usual I am late to the party and only just seen this. How you doing?

type1harley

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Thanks for the help everyone, I'm fine now, my bloods were 4.9 when I had breakfast. I didn't know what to do since I never had that come up before.

Reactions: Knikki

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Good your back down.........

I treat a HI like any blood sugar result.......if its not in the target range, give insulin to get it there......obviously a HI is above 33 or thereabouts, so a simple calculation and off you go.....

Understandably a shock having never seen it before.....