Correction When Under 10mmol

static192

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
hi my sugar level was 8.7mmol so i corrected with 1unit of insulin normally drops me 2mmol but seem to not have worked at all is this normal as i know normally when your under 10mmol you dont get insulin resistance i know sometimes corrections dont work but normally i know thats when your sugars are really high and it causes insulin resistance.

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
@static192 - you'll only really know if it was normal if it happens again with exactly the same circumstances. It's very difficult to answer yes or no to your question as we don't know the state of IOB, COB, stress/tiredness and therefore hormones that affect insulin action, etc.

So if it happens again, then maybe it was normal. If it doesn't then probably not.

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
Sometimes they don't work because your blood sugar was heading even higher ....
Or maybe you injected into an overused spot and the insulin absorption is delayed...
Or maybe you're coming down with a cold...

as @tim2000s said, sometimes you just never know....

Just one of the many joys of being a T1 diabetic :)

Reactions: Dodo and tim2000s

CathP

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
If you were 8.7⬆️ then it’s possible the correction just halted the rise, rather than dropping you as you had hoped. I give a larger correction if my daughter is rising than if flat, a bit for the rise and a bit for the correction! Dexcom arrows are priceless.

Reactions: EllieM

static192

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
hey guys yeah i havent had much sleep and very tired so could be the reason also **** diabetes can never win lol.

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
Hi @static192,
Sometimes you just have to go with the flow. You can never entirely predict diabetes or the weather.
Our pancreas glands have been designed to function automatically from development over thousands of years and then for us starting as newly-minted insulin-requiring diabetics the autopilot cuts out and we have to take over the pilot's job.
Ain't going to be easy, we just do the best we can, learn as best we can and stay aloft !!!

Reactions: karen8967

moby1234

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
hi my sugar level was 8.7mmol so i corrected with 1unit of insulin normally drops me 2mmol but seem to not have worked at all is this normal as i know normally when your under 10mmol you dont get insulin resistance i know sometimes corrections dont work but normally i know thats when your sugars are really high and it causes insulin resistance.

Hi,
My rule of thumb is that one unit of Humalog will reduce my BS by 2. For example, if my BS reading is say 12 before a meal I will add 12-4 (desired BS reading) divided by 2. I would, therefore, add 4 units to my normal pre-meal dose. Like to hear what other T1's do? Took a very long time to extract this formula from my Doctor.

Would only take a correction shot of my BS was greater than 10.
Best
Maurice