Pump or injections??

Rachel1608

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello again! I’m still trying for a baby and I’ve gone to my diabetic doctor this morning for my general appointment. They have offered me an insulin pump at the end of the year. Don’t know whether I am better staying with lantus and novorapid which has worked well for me for the last 7 years or to change to pump? Really confused? Does anybody have any experience of an insulin pump in diabetes and are they a better option in pregnancy? Thanks for any help once again!!

Reactions: CranberryIce

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hi @Rachel1608 A pump is great for tightening up control, so will help in regards to making tweaks to your ratio's throughout the day and reducing your HbA1c. I moved over to a pump about 2 years ago now, personally I struggled initially with becoming dependent on a pump which is attached to me 24 hours a day, but it easily fits into my life and has helped me in regards to exercising more as I can easily adjust insulin to suit the exercise, it took a bit of getting used to, but I wouldn't change for the world now :)

Reactions: Rachel1608
D

Deleted Account

I don't have the pregnancy experience but I do have 12 years experience of Lantus and NovoRapid and then changing to a pump.
The pump has given me a lot more freedom by allowing me to cope much better with exercise.
The benefit of the pump is you have much more control over your basal: Lantus assumes your basal needs are the same all the time. But this is rarely the case: for example, people experience Dawn Phenomenon so need more basal in the morning or need less basal for the hour or so when exercising.

Personally, I dislike the thing that is attached to me all the time. However, this is (just) balanced out by the better control I have with my BG.

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
After 45 years on insulin of various sorts I was having difficulty keeping my BSLs from dropping at night, even on 6 to 8 injection per day. Moved to a pump and have not looked back. Of course in hindsight my pride in wishing to be as independent as possible had gotten in the way. I have heard that starting out pregnancy at a normal weight is important since being overweight or obese at the beginning of pregnancy magnifies all the risks. Pump with Continuous Glucose Monitoring seems to be the gold standard from what I have read. Also all pregnant women, in Oz at least, are encouraged to take mineral and vitamin supplements before or as soon as they become pregnant as some things like iodine are needed by baby from the very beginning.

eabhamurphy

Hi!
My first pregnancy was using Lantus and novorapid. I had my first son two years ago. I am now over 32 weeks with my second and I am on a pump.
This pregnancy had been much easier with a pump. Pregnancy hormones throw up huge walls of resistance at some random times and the pump (and linked CGM) help navigate this much much more easily. Then other times what worked to just keep blood glucose in range will result in lows. I suffered badly from hypos and loss of awareness with my first pregnancy. This time the pump allows me to adjust on a daily basis and I havent lost hypo awareness, probably because my control is much tighter than MDI allowed it to be.
Any more specific questions about using either in pregnancy then just let me know. I would vote, no doubt about it, for a pump. X

CranberryIce

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi!
My first pregnancy was using Lantus and novorapid. I had my first son two years ago. I am now over 32 weeks with my second and I am on a pump.
This pregnancy had been much easier with a pump. Pregnancy hormones throw up huge walls of resistance at some random times and the pump (and linked CGM) help navigate this much much more easily. Then other times what worked to just keep blood glucose in range will result in lows. I suffered badly from hypos and loss of awareness with my first pregnancy. This time the pump allows me to adjust on a daily basis and I havent lost hypo awareness, probably because my control is much tighter than MDI allowed it to be.
Any more specific questions about using either in pregnancy then just let me know. I would vote, no doubt about it, for a pump. X

can all pumps be linked to CGMs? I have also been asked to consider a pump to help tighten my control
for pregnancy.

mf

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Defo go for insulin pump% and if you can get cgm even better. Having a pump changed my life. Wish I had it 18 years ago. It was a big help during my pregnancy

quintel

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Just to give you an idea about the injection side from my personal experience, I injected all the way through my pregnancy. My consultant offered a pump if my control wasn’t tight enough, but I managed to keep it tight and near the end, about 34 weeks, my HbA1C was 5.3% from 7.1% at the start.

What helped me however was I had constant contact with my antenatal diabetic nurse over email and whenever I had a problem I could get a call back or email back with advice if I need d it.

It’s up to you however, it’s doable both ways, I’m just very anti pump! Hope all goes well for you! X

Madelinelowery

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hey,

I used to be on pens before having my boys and I could never get on with them, I always struggled to have tight control!

I got given a pump with my first pregnancy and it was an absolute life changer! It’s so much easier to control and keep within range, there’s so much more flexibility with what you can eat!

Being pregnant is hard enough without being diabetic, I feel this helped me no end! Towards the end of both my pregnancy’s I was on almost 100 units of insulin a day so having a pump made it so much easier to administer insulin! X

Reactions: Ellana 2

hboyt

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I would say def a pump....the adjustments are much more accurate and precise which is what you need in pregnancy