Tiredness! So fed up with being tired.

Sammi

I bought all several books on the Atkins but I have seen two dieticians, one who gave me advise just before I was about to embark on the diet. Another friend of mine who is a diabeic told me about the organ damage. I think he had been advised by his doctor. I found this:

From the January 2004 edition of Dr. Fuhrman’s Healthy Times:
High protein diets—those in which calories come predominantly from animal foods—increase the risk of cancer and heart attack and have been linked to cardiomyopathies, electrolyte imbalances, and kidney damage. Dr. Robert Atkins himself had a heart attack from a cardiomyopathy a year before his death, and his autopsy results still remain hidden from the public.

I had sent off for a book and DVD about the Atkins diet after seeing a programme on TV presented before Dr Atkins died. The book and DVD came together with a pot of keytone testing strips as the aim was to eliminate all carbs from your diet, make your body produce keytones. I'm not a doctor so here is another extract from the web:-

Virtually all low-carbohydrate diets are characterized by a rise in the production of ketone bodies (that's why you'll also see the Atkins Diet called a ketogenic diet). Ketones are produced when fat is broken down in your liver. The build-up of ketone bodies in your blood stream is known as ketosis.

This is not good for diabetics but go to this page o the diabetes.co.uk website for more details on what keytones mean.

http://www.diabetes.co.uk/diabetes-and-ketones.html

I'm not a doctor s perhaps I shouldn't force my opinion so forcefully (sorry) but I think I would certainly recommend taking professional advice if you are considering the Atkins diet. All of the above information would certainly make me question whether this route might be inappropriate for me, even if my dietician hadn't been so forceful with her concerns about the program.

On the other hand, the GI diet is based on what seems to be recognised sound advise on controlling ones blood gloucose.

fergus

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Sammi, some personal experience of Atkins would be interesting, but it's not really in anyone's interest to continually stir up the old (mostly groundless and irrational) prejudices against such diets.
Atkins programme was a low-carbohydrate diet, similar in principle to many of those practiced by many of the members of this forum, with great success. It is, after all, excessive carbohydrate in the diet which is primarily responsible for the raised blood sugars typical in diabetes, not excessive protein or fat.
Although diets high in protein can be problematic for those already suffering from kidney disease, there is absolutely no evidence to suggest that high protein diets are causative of kidney disease.
Also, elevated blood glucose and elevated insulin levels are far more strongly linked to the risks of CHD than dietary fat.
Ketones in the bloodstream are a perfectly natural phenomenon and not at all harmful to diabetics. They are, as you say, a product of the metabolism of body fat which will only happen when insulin levels are reasonably low. A degree of ketosis is esential for maintainance of a healthy body weight in fact. It's not uncommon, even among health professionals, for this to be confused with ketoacidosis which is a completely different condition, caused by a critical lack or absence of insulin in the bloodstream, and very definitely harmful.
I suspect many diabetics would actually fare much better on diets such as Atkins than those commonly recommended by some health professionals!

All the best,

fergus