Supermarkets Have No Low Carb

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
The X-Pert course was founded by Dr. Trudi Deakin who is a member of this forum @Deakint (You can find her on Google)

My nurse is/was one of the course leaders. 2 years or more ago she told me she had been to a refresher course for this, and had on her desk the "Eat Fat" book written by Trudi. I also have a copy. I think what is covered on the X-Pert courses is something about all types of diets, from Mediterranean to LCHF rather than just one, and it probably depends very much on the course leader where the bias may be.

Geranium72

I had to travel a couple of hours for a meeting yesterday - had a big breakfast but was hungry by the time I was there and knew I would need to eat on the way back. It was not practical to take food with me. M&S at the station had individual portions of cheese, packs of natural nuts, pork crackling straws, and a tub of Mexican chicken with sour cream dip (under 5g carb per 100g). Those and a big bottle of water did me fine. I think there is stuff there - not sweet stuff but some good alternatives

Reactions: Prem51

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Sorry but I have to disagree with you. The "treats" and "convenience" stuff is what got a lot of us here in the first place.
Far better to cook from scratch using real foods that look like food. How long does it take to whip up an omelette? 5 minutes max what could be more convenient?
And even less if you make a 1 minute microwave muffin in a mug!

Robbity

Reactions: GrumpyOldPhart
D

Deleted member 308541

Far better to cook from scratch using real foods that look like food. How long does it take to whip up an omelette? 5 minutes max what could be more convenient?
It took me just five minutes to cook up a three egg, cheese and mushroom omelette, and three minutes to cook the bacon in the microwave. The bacon went in the fry pan, after I slid the omelette out on to a warm plate for a couple of minutes to brown off a bit.

So less than ten minutes to prep and cook.

Sadie111

It took me just five minutes to cook up a three egg, cheese and mushroom omelette, and three minutes to cook the bacon in the microwave. The bacon went in the fry pan, after I slid the omelette out on to a warm plate for a couple of minutes to brown off a bit.

So less than ten minutes to prep and cook.

That would be great if you like omelettes and wanted to eat omelettes every day.

Dissappointed by remarks by purists who only want to eat vegetables and meat. Fair enough, but that doesn't mean everybody wants to always cook everything.
My point is for choice.

I would like a low carb sandwich
I would like low carb sauces without having to spend ages checking ingredients for sugar.
I would like a choice of low carb bread
I would like a pick up low carb meal
I would like a brownie made with nut flour
etc etc

It's all about choice and my point was, that I wish the supermarkets would catch on to the low carb shoppers and make more for us. Gluten free seemes to have taken off like a rocket but still very few products labelledfor low-carb market

Sadie111

I had to travel a couple of hours for a meeting yesterday - had a big breakfast but was hungry by the time I was there and knew I would need to eat on the way back. It was not practical to take food with me. M&S at the station had individual portions of cheese, packs of natural nuts, pork crackling straws, and a tub of Mexican chicken with sour cream dip (under 5g carb per 100g). Those and a big bottle of water did me fine. I think there is stuff there - not sweet stuff but some good alternatives

yes, but wouldn't it have been great to have a low-carb section without having to hunt the whole store for a few bit and bobs that you can eat on the go.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
That would be great if you like omelettes and wanted to eat omelettes every day.

Dissappointed by remarks by purists who only want to eat vegetables and meat. Fair enough, but that doesn't mean everybody wants to always cook everything.
My point is for choice.

I would like a low carb sandwich
I would like low carb sauces without having to spend ages checking ingredients for sugar.
I would like a choice of low carb bread
I would like a pick up low carb meal
I would like a brownie made with nut flour
etc etc

It's all about choice and my point was, that I wish the supermarkets would catch on to the low carb shoppers and make more for us. Gluten free seemes to have taken off like a rocket but still very few products labelledfor low-carb market

The trouble with sub contracting what you eat to third parties is that you can never be quite sure what they have put in their products to bring the price down or make it more "economical" (i.e. increase their profits). I would bet the house that anything produced by a supermarket labelled "low carb" would either not be or would contain stuff that we are trying to avoid.
I took my eating change as a good opportunity to cut the rubbish that had made me ill in the first place and cook everything (almost) from fresh ingredients so I knew exactly what was in my food. I think that is one of the main reasons why we have such a good success rate with Low Carb eaters on the forum.

Reactions: Geranium72

Cathysbd

I can't understand why supermarkets have no low-carb
Everywhere is fat free, or low sugar ( full of flour) or gluten free.
All sorts of ready meals for everyone except low carb.

Surely there is a huge market out there
Type low carb into Tesco or Asda online grocery and you get:
No products found for "low carb"
The US seem to have a huge range of goods for people doing low carb. I hate the low fat stuff and it’s almost always higher in carbs. It’s nice to have choice and I would appreciate more (any) low carb versions of things instead of the low fat stuff. X

Reactions: Sadie111 and Prem51
D

Deleted member 308541

I would bet the house that anything produced by a supermarket labelled "low carb" would either not be or would contain stuff that we are trying to avoid.
The health food store where I get my low carb bread from, they have a lot of products that are T1 or T2 diabetes friendly.

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
D

Deleted member 308541

I agree Iv been looking for full fat yogurt ??? . Any tips would be great.
All major food stores sell full fat yoghurt here in Australia, so will hazard a guess that they will have it in the shops where ever you live.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
All major food stores sell full fat yoghurt here in Australia, so will hazard a guess that they will have it in the shops where ever you live.

My local supermarket doesn't stock any at all. It used to, but not now.

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)