How Do I Get My Bs Below 8.3

Diligent500

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
I dislike being diabetic and two heavy I am 80kg and want to get down to 50 kg very soon.
Hi to all,

How do i get my bs below 8.3 would it work if i cut out fruit.
My weight is still going down.
I am really pleased.
Ive just had a loverly cold salad i cannot put up with this heat.

Diligent500.

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Congratulations on the weight loss!

To lower bg cutting out fruit would certainly be a good start. Have you got a meter so you can test the effect of cuts?

Reactions: dbr10 and Prem51

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Fruit is high in carbs so cutting down/out would impact your levels positively. Berries are lowest in carbs if you are a fruit lover, lovely with plain yoghurt or double cream. Enjoy!

Reactions: dbr10

mike gibson

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I was like you struggling to get below the 8/9 mark until I posted on here about fruit...I was always under the impression that fruit was good for u and full of natural sugars...but sugar is sugar and the oranges etc were no good for my bg and since stopping the fruit I’m hovering around the 6/7 mark...I tend to have a couple of strawberries and raspberries now and maybe one or two blueberries..

Reactions: Guzzler and Prem51

Diligent500

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
I dislike being diabetic and two heavy I am 80kg and want to get down to 50 kg very soon.
Hi to all,

Thankyou for the info i will cut it out this week and see what happens and let you know lol.

Next weigh in friday cannot wait.

Diligent500.

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Taken from https://phcuk.org/sugar/

Fruits-Sugar-Equivalent-Infographic.jpg

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Jenny Ruhl casts doubt on the value of the Glycaemic Index for people with diabetes, and in general, in her article "Is the Glycemic Index a Scam?" Here is an extract:

"Foods that work well for a normal person, like whole grain oatmeal, may cause a blood sugar spike just as high as white bread in a person with diabetes. That whole wheat bread raises blood sugars the same amount as does white bread when fed to people with diabetes was recently documented in a published study:

Dietary Breads Myth or Reality. Banu Mesci et. al, Diabetes Research and Clinical Practice Volume 81, Issue 1, July 2008, Pages 68-71

The only reason for a person with diabetes to learning the Glycemic index values for various foods is that if you are injecting insulin, knowing the GI value can help you time your insulin so that it peaks in the bloodstream at the same time that the glucose from the foods you ate reaches it.

Except that even this is more complex than it sounds, because there is yet another problem with applying the glycemic index. The GI values are established by testing each food in isolation. But we don't eat these foods in isolation, we eat them as part of a meal.

And when you combine foods in a meal, their GI values change dramatically. Any high carbohydrate food eaten with fat will digest more slowly than it does when eaten alone. Eating a lot of food at once will also slow digestion.

So while white bread might have a very high GI and be completely digested by two hours, A slice of pizza that contains the same amount of carbohydrate as three slices of white bread may not digest completely until 4 or 5 hours have passed, thanks to the very high fat content of the cheese and the sheer bulk of the food.

In fact, the table of GI values cited above gives a higher fat Pizza the GI value of 30--which is one of the lower values to be found on that table, though you never will hear nutritionists telling people to eat a diet rich in healthy high fat pizza--and you won't hear it from me either. The combination of all that carbohydrate and fat is probably the most unhealthy one you could come up with and though it takes it a while to digest when pizza does digest it can give people with diabetes some of the highest blood sugars they are ever likely to see.

All this should make us rethink just how "healthy" all those low GI foods really are. If we really want to eat foods that won't raise our blood sugar or stimulate insulin response, we will be a lot better off eating protein, fat, fresh greens, and colorful fresh low carbohydrate vegetables in place of any carbohydrate-rich foods.

And when we do eat foods with carbohydrate in them, no matter what their GI might be, we should consider the total amount of carbohydrate in that food, not just the speed with which it digests.

Why Do We Hear So Much About Low Glycemic Foods?

It is not coincidental that over the past five years the once obscure GI theory, which was first published in 1981 and completely ignored for the next 20 year has suddenly risen to prominence.

A major reason is that the food industry reacted to the "low carb diet craze" that swept the U.S. around the year 2000 by funding a well funded and well orchestrated media campaign to promote this hitherto obscure and neglected theory. And they did a masterful job of it."

You can read the whole article here: http://www.phlaunt.com/diabetes/22168291.php

Reactions: dbr10

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
These chart have been produced by a GP who uses a CGM, hence the items on them are chosen to avoid issues with the GI index.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Jenny Ruhl casts doubt on the value of the Glycaemic Index for people with diabetes,

I imagine most of us know the GI is of little value to a T2. But what this chart shows is the number of spoons of sugar in the fruits, so for that it is useful.

Katie43M

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi all. I like you loved my fruit until diagnosed type2. So now I cheat. I stick to a few berries on breakfast but when making a salad I pop in a small chopped satsuma or apple and mix in. I share this with hubby which gives me half but if you live alone make a big salad and pot up half for next day. This works for me and I still get a bit of fruit and my bgs don’t seem to be too badly affected. 5.4 this morning. Also make my own pizza base. Quick and easy recipes online. Worth a try and good luck.

Down-Jai 001

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi to all,

I am really pleased.

Diligent500.
I 've found walking 45 minutes or any high impact exercise , after estten (1 hour after meal) really bring down well below 8.5.Try it.

Bopvo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi to all,

I am really pleased.

Diligent500.

2 bitter melon ( with out seed)
2 cucumbers ( without skin)
1 whole lemon
1 inch ginger ( without skin )
All organic.... juice them out together by the press machine. You will get about 1 litter of juice.
Drink 100 ml with half tea spoon Chia seed at the first start and check bs level before taking insulin or melformin.
Try these organic vegetables juice and you will see the results ( no side affect) and of course you have to eat smart without red meet. Good luck

Crocodile

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I can't have it often
I'm a T2 and used correctly I find the GI table absolutely brilliant. Works for me a treat despite the ramblings of Jenny Ruhl.

Chuckannuck

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi to all,

I am really pleased.

Diligent500.
Good work. I agree with the earlier comment about using the meter. There's a confusing array of opinions about just about anything to do with blood glucose and what to do or not do. But once you know how your body responds to various things you eat, you can choose to govern yourself accordingly.

PS. Everyone's situation is different, but I would be surprised if you can't get your blood glucose below 8.3. Quickly. Consistently. And lower.

Nicksimmo

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
So where do apples stand? Berries are great but can be pricey compared to other.fruits?

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Frozen berries are a reasonable price at Aldi.

I avoid apples, but use your BG to see what it does to you. However given that some people use them as a mild hypo treatment.....

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
So where do apples stand? Berries are great but can be pricey compared to other.fruits?
Rhubarb is the lowest carb. (Currently quite cheap in Morrisons.) Delicious stewed and eaten with Total Fage 5% fat Greek yoghurt. To enhance and prolong the treat, eat mindfully with a tea-spoon.