Type 2 On Insulin Being Send On A Course.

claudetteholmes

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
rude people, turnips, current diabetic support
Have any one done the "can I eat bananas" course. Been low carb high fat now for almost 3 years. Fallen of wagon now and again but now 4 months very strict. My nurse is lovely but not very sure about my low carb way of eating. So my doses before meals is " to just find what works for you slowly" Phone now to make appointment and was told sandwiches will be served... ( O dear I eat bread/ pasta and have sugars of 18+)
So to anyone that has been - will I actually learn carbs vs dose to inject or is this again the old song eat some wholemeal bread /pasta fruits and low fat? Or do I have to take the diet advice to get to what I need to know.
Also as I can't work and have to organise childcare for the day really need to know if this is worth my time and money spent?

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
You can find info here:

Briscomhealth.org.uk/diabetes-education-courses/

Apparently banana course renamed Understanding Insulin...

slip

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
O dear I eat bread/ pasta and have sugars of 18+

If you are on insulin this shouldn't be happening - assuming you're using a quick acting insulin to bolus for meals, if you are then it's most probably related to timing of injections.

However the more I look at the course details the more I think it's related to someone just taking a long-acting basal insulin. Ironically it doesn't help you understand insulin if I've read that correctly :nailbiting:

claudetteholmes

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
If you are on insulin this shouldn't be happening - assuming you're using a quick acting insulin to bolus for meals, if you are then it's most probably related to timing of injections.

However the more I look at the course details the more I think it's related to someone just taking a long-acting basal insulin. Ironically it doesn't help you understand insulin if I've read that correctly :nailbiting:
Hi thanks for reply. My sugars is finally coming fown the last few days. But through eating with my meter for many years I know high carbs doesn't work for me. Unfortunately I was a month ( not fun) without any medication after my pancreas stopped working trying to get appointment and tests and going on insulin. So very slowly introduction....to get doses right and its now a month on back ground insulin and almost 3 weeks on fast acting. I have no clue about meal times and doses just told to stick to 4 units and carby meal 6.

claudetteholmes

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Also as you can image things are not rational at the moment todays egg can be 6 -3 days ago it was 9.8.

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
It sounds like you need a carb counting course asap as 6 could easily end up as a hypo if heat, excercise, insulin all work their mysterious ways! Have you been told how to treat one and what to look out for?
Getting down to 6 is great by the way, I'm just adding a warning to be prepared.

Reactions: claudetteholmes

claudetteholmes

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
It sounds like you need a carb counting course asap as 6 could easily end up as a hypo if heat, excercise, insulin all work their mysterious ways! Have you been told how to treat one and what to look out for?
Getting down to 6 is great by the way, I'm just adding a warning to be prepared.
Yes definitely need one. I carb count on an app so I am very aware of my eating carbs. Course is only in September? As for hypos very aware was on Insulin when pregnant and 5 years ago when put on gliclazide had a lovely doctor that explained it well had a brief encounter with a low sugar 3.4 and could treat it immediately. I travel with glucose tabs. Being on Insulin I noticed that I can tolerate a bit higher carbs like cream but cant do any grains. My nurse insisted that I try higer carbs I did have a small piece of crumbed chicken and salad and had a spike of 14.6. Proven to her that in last 3 years of eating with your meter, we know what works and what doesn't. I used to fast a lot but on Insulin ( know its early days) my sugars spike if I wait to long. I never snack but had to late afternoon have a few nuts or olives. Any advice is welcome. I was told with Novorapid to take between 4-6 units. My levemir is on 26 units.

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
Just keep testing and see if you spot any patterns. Sounds like you know how to handle things pretty well until your course. If questions come up in the meantime just ask.

slip

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Claudette are you saying before you started using any insulin, any carby food sent you high? then starting first with a basal your numbers started to reduce but still peaks after eating and now using basal/bolus your numbers are getting better but still peaking after food? (a rise greater than 2mmol 2hrs after).

I think you might be better off actually doing the Type 1 course based around bertie and dafne (what a hansom couple they make?!!)

Being on Insulin I noticed that I can tolerate a bit higher carbs like cream

But there's no carbs in cream?

Take your crumbed chicken and salad meal, did you test before hand & work out the carb content and how much bolus insulin did you take? (4, 5 or 6?)

It's definitely worth keeping a log of food carbs insulin and BG results while you're trying to establish your dosages, even though you're on 'fixed' dosages.

claudetteholmes

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Claudette are you saying before you started using any insulin, any carby food sent you high? then starting first with a basal your numbers started to reduce but still peaks after eating and now using basal/bolus your numbers are getting better but still peaking after food? (a rise greater than 2mmol 2hrs after).

I think you might be better off actually doing the Type 1 course based around bertie and dafne (what a hansom couple they make?!!)

Take your crumbed chicken and salad meal, did you test before hand & work out the carb content and how much bolus insulin did you take? (4, 5 or 6?)

It's definitely worth keeping a log of food carbs insulin and BG results while you're trying to establish your dosages, even though you're on 'fixed' dosages.
Sorry my fault not carbs in cream but in past dairy affected my sugars I have a very small spike now. Lets go to crumbed chicken meal my total carbs was 14 for that meal was only injecting 4 then. Most meals now are at 6 or 7 s before eating 8 after even with a few berries. I am now on 6 .My father was misdiagnosed as type 2 for years then finally new dr diagnosed type 1 but South Africa is very different than here. How do I get the type 1 course?
I test about 10 times a day( sore fingers)
Just came back from my walk with dogs and my sugar is 4.2? Lowest in 3 years.Weird thing no signs of hypo did grab a small pear back to 5.3.
Please keep in mind my sugars are only in normal range for last 3 days. Since January things were all over the show and being very ill many trips to doctors/ nurses I am finally feeling like myself. I am A type personality take control and learn make changes. But feeling a bit like I am put to pasture without enough knowledge.

claudetteholmes

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes

Ps I head your warning think walking with dogs I might have to put a glucose tab in pocket. Also a bit anxious about traveling in a months time. Its one thing at home where I have strick control but thinking If I stay to meat salad I should be ok and nuts in pocket...

slip

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm glad you're now getting decent numbers, 4.2 is good and not technically a hypo so I'm not surprised you didn't feel anything but sitting in the low 4's does mean you have to be more aware of your 'Insulin On Board' (IOB) so the pear was probably a good thing. Basals can take a good few days to really start working well, and therefore also changes in dosages can take time to show the affect of the change. If you find over the next few days you are dropping low think about doing a 'basal test' first, I just have a feeling 26u might be a bit too. And with low carbing I can see why your nurse might ask you to increase your Carb intake - she won't have many if any insulin users low carbing so probably out of her comfort zone.

Have you heard of LADA before? just some of the things you say lead me to thinking that. What have you hba1cs been like?

claudetteholmes

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
I'm glad you're now getting decent numbers, 4.2 is good and not technically a hypo so I'm not surprised you didn't feel anything but sitting in the low 4's does mean you have to be more aware of your 'Insulin On Board' (IOB) so the pear was probably a good thing. Basals can take a good few days to really start working well, and therefore also changes in dosages can take time to show the affect of the change. If you find over the next few days you are dropping low think about doing a 'basal test' first, I just have a feeling 26u might be a bit too. And with low carbing I can see why your nurse might ask you to increase your Carb intake - she won't have many if any insulin users low carbing so probably out of her comfort zone.

Have you heard of LADA before? just some of the things you say lead me to thinking that. What have you hba1cs been like?
How do I test for basal? Yes heard of LADA I am a avid reader especially with feeling so ill and doctors not helping till sugars was 17+. Found my surgery very reluctant to do test did manage some bloods last week. hba1 c 2016 - 6.1 2017 5.3. Went into menopause and saw my weight go up even my diet didnt change very much did cheat a bit. But went low low carb again but since End of January sugars slowly rising and I contact drs immediately told to do bloods got hba1c back of 8.9. Due to staff shortage only saw nurse 3 weeks later. Then more meds higher sugars till I hit 21 after just having a coffee with a friend. I saw drs next day with a presentation of sugars meals... Only to hear from dr I am above him doesn't understand carbs but to come of meds and see nurse. So another 2 weeks wait for an appointment and being so sick till I saw nurse and another week later started my first dose 12 june

slip

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
https://mysugr.com/basal-rate-testing/

It maybe more geared to pump users but works just the same for us MDI'ers.

It looks like you had a really good handle on it before this all started happening so it's not out the realms of possibility that you can get back on track.

I know I shouldn't ask a lady her weight, so I won't :D, but weight gain will affect how the body responds to insulin so can become a vicious circle - weight up, IR increases leading to more fat being stored and weight increase........only further blood tests would give an proper indication if it's T2 or LADA

claudetteholmes

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
https://mysugr.com/basal-rate-testing/

It maybe more geared to pump users but works just the same for us MDI'ers.

It looks like you had a really good handle on it before this all started happening so it's not out the realms of possibility that you can get back on track.

I know I shouldn't ask a lady her weight, so I won't :D, but weight gain will affect how the body responds to insulin so can become a vicious circle - weight up, IR increases leading to more fat being stored and weight increase........only further blood tests would give an proper indication if it's T2 or LADA
I am overweight lost almost 20 kgs on low carb in past but with menopause slowly piled back on I am currently at 108 weight fell off last month lost 7 kgs. Weight seems to sit still now but still eating right still walking still swimming. Will get there again.( Realise body will ajust with insulin) That was what was so incredibly disappointing didnt matter how low carb I went most days under 15 carbs weight piled on. Within 24 hrs of stopping gliclazide I dropped Kg.

claudetteholmes

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
I am overweight lost almost 20 kgs on low carb in past but with menopause slowly piled back on I am currently at 108 weight fell off last month lost 7 kgs. Weight seems to sit still now but still eating right still walking still swimming. Will get there again.( Realise body will ajust with insulin) That was what was so incredibly disappointing didnt matter how low carb I went most days under 15 carbs weight piled on. Within 24 hrs of stopping gliclazide I dropped Kg.
Thanks for info working through it now...