Mainly A Rant.. But Also A Question

meardonna

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Getting some frustrated! 3,weeks ago I ordered repeat prescription for my glycizide to only get 1,week woryh as they didn't check new dose, and then refused to give more as gp had to authorise the new dose which was given by the as she said i had a months supply, till she realized i was on 2 tablets twice a day. When they issurd them they were going off the original dose! Now some may say what's the problem its just having to go down more to pick up. That would be fine though a mild inconvenience, but for me i am still recovering from 3 lots of major surgery in the spaces of 3 weeks. I've only just began going out for small journeys as I'm still very weak and get a lot of dizzy spells. And on top of having to go pick up tablets I should already have, because i went out on Tuesday for the day ( was taken out by car) my gp surgery feel i can travel to the surgery every 2 days to get my holes packed! As well as that being a long walk i have to fit into available appointments so was told Tuesday there were no appointments till this afternoon, as nurses didn't work on a thursday.. so with a leaking hole and a wound that needed cleaned desperately. i had to clean and pack my own wounds!!
I'm really feeling like i should change gp!!! Should I change gp??

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I wouldn't change GPs at the moment as that will be even more hassle for you and you don't need anymore of that. Have you managed to speak to your GP on the phone? Maybe they would be more sympathetic than the receptionist ...if you can actually managed to get put through to the GP of course....

Sorry you are having such a rough time.

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
Hi @meardonna,
I hear you. In Oz prescription quantities usually last a month, and the GP here can order/authorise extra quantity if the dosage is above the usual. I am assuming a similar scheme occurs in UK but others maybe able to answer this more definitively than I.
The chemist has made a mistake and you should not be made to suffer. Usually the chemist would ring the GP, 'fess up to the error and request the GP to authorise the correction. Faxed, posted or whatever, done and dusted. You get the remainder of your month's supply.
Maybe the chemist does not want to 'fess up, maybe the doctor has declined to do the paperwork, who knows?
If you rang the GP. you might be able to clarify this.
If the GP has not been notified of it by the chemist then he/she is only human and provided it is not a repeated error why change GPs?
If the GP requests you visit to pick up a modified script or whatever and will not post/fax contact the chemist you might wish to reconsider whether that is good enough for you or not. And exercise your choice of future GP accordingly.
With the chemist - if he/she apologises and does/has done everything possible to correct the error(s) then you might give them the benefit of the doubt. If not you might also consider a different chemist in future.
Of course where you live and how close other GPs and chemists are also come into your ability to make choices.
I hope it never happens to you again. We all get angry but remember that anger hurts ourselves too and if the chemist and/or GP is/are dingbats (Aussie term) by all means rant or do whatever dispels the anger.
I hope you continue to recover well from surgury.
Maybe the chemist would be so kind as to drop the remainder of your tablets off on his/her way home or sooner if home deliveries are part of their service (but without you having to pay a delivery fee) !!

meardonna

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Im in uk. My son gets 2 months supply of his meds for his heart.. The sctipt goes straight to chemist which is next door do is still a long walk. The new tablets had the new dose on but still didn't get the right amount. Picking them up this afternoon and will be checking amount

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Have you tried asking for a nurse to visit you at home to do the hole packing? The district nurses do this sort of thing all the time.

Also, most pharmacies do home deliveries - have you asked about this?

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Sorry you are going through such a tough time, @meardonna . I understand as I had similar wounds needing dressings after major surgery. The system here is that you have to go to a treatment centre. My nearest one is 3 miles from home, and I could not manage the travelling several times a week. when I informed the GP, she and the nurse arranged to do home visits until I was stronger. You need to contact the surgery and explain your situation to the Practice Manager if you cannot get what you need from GP or nurse. Also, as @Bluetit1802 mentioned, pharmacies will make home deliveries if you ask them.
Good luck, and get well soon.

Reactions: Bluetit1802