Medtronic Cgm Vs Freestyle Libre?

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I've been on a pump for 10 years. Currently using a Medtronic 640, and have decided to self fund CGM to tighten up my control. I've read some old threads that say the Medtronic CGM isn't that reliable. Wondering whether to go with standalone freestyle libre. Any experience, advice out there I'd be really grateful :)

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
Can you trial some cgms before making any big monetary outlays? Libre works awesomely for some/most people, but is hopelessly inaccurate for others. If you do decide to use it, make sure to do occasional checks against a traditional meter. It also has a 15 minute delay compared to a blood testing meter, but I suspect that;s the case for all interstitial monitors?

Dexta

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I started using the Medtronic Enlite system since mid April, with my Medtronic Paradigm 754, which I believe will work the same way. The main benefits are that it does seem to be generally much more accurate, particularly when you need to calibrate it at least every 12 hours. You can also set pump alarms (vibrate or sound) when you’re reaching either end of your target range. When entering hypo range the pump will ‘shout’ and then shut down basal delivery.
The main disadvantages are self funding costs are considerably higher. The sensor lasts for 6 days but can be made to run for 7 or more. I tried Libre a few times and found individual results very unreliable. They generally showed lower results but in fairness it did show + or - trends well. I think the main advantage is that the Medtronic system works well with the pump and it’s really down to the cost. Hypos to me are now much a thing of the past. I hope this helps, but as in the previous reply I would certainly ask for a trial.