Dexcom G6 Location

RMSko

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm going to be getting my G6 tomorrow and had a question. It says it's approved for the abdomen and upper buttocks. I'd like to try the upper buttocks, but I'm wondering whether that will make sleeping or sitting uncomfortable. Does anyone have any experience? Am I right that those are the only two locations it's approved for?

Jollymon

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Not having good chocolate, and not cycling
G6’s profile will be slimmer than G5’s. So it won’t stick out that far. That might make it easier to sleep with anywhere on the body.

Someone always has to be the 1st to try a new location. You might as well try and see how it goes. G5 isn’t supposed to be used in the legs, but there are people doing it.

crumpy

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Insulin
Wife uses the G4/G5 on the back of her arm and gets accurate results with an average of 3 weeks sensor life.

Post back on how you find the G6 accuracy if you don't mind as were thinking of upgrading.

RMSko

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Wife uses the G4/G5 on the back of her arm and gets accurate results with an average of 3 weeks sensor life.

Post back on how you find the G6 accuracy if you don't mind as were thinking of upgrading.
I’ve been using it for the day and did one finger prick test and it was remarkably close. I’m probably not going to be doing many more finger prick tests though because the primary reason I went for the G6 is that it does not need to be calibrated. The other thing I will say is that the insertion process is a SUBSTANTIAL improvement from the G4/G5. I ended up going for the stomach because for people over 18 it turns out that that is the only option. Bottom line is I’m very happy with this and I like it a lot more than the G4/G5 and the Freestyle Libre. Fortunately for me it’s covered 100% by insurance so that makes the decision a lot easier. Please let me know if you have any questions.