Type 1 Why Am I Going Low A Lot

David1996

Hello just a quick query I'm a pregnant young lady age of 22 I'm a type 1 diabetic I don't know if any of you out there have ever had this I am hoping a lot during the night these is what my freestyle Libre tell me that I'm doing during the night and how many hypos and having in last 7 days I have put up photos of my levels today can anyone give me any suggestions as I seem to be living a lot of gluco juice I am limited to 60 carbs as I'm not on a ratio as it's easier to to keep track of where I'm pregnant and morning sickness is a little bit of a problem in my case I use no more than 9 units of humalog for a meal I'm very insulin sensitive I use 23 units tresiba is my bassline can anyone give me any suggestions I'm willing to try anything as it's making me feel so rough to the point I went to eat so afternoon my lunch I done a test started eating and my levels are dropping so I had to have a bottle of gluco juice before I done my jap so it wasn't my insulin kicking in beforehand any suggestions would be great thank you
20180630_132244.jpg
20180630_132830.jpg
20180630_132825.jpg
20180630_132819.jpg
20180630_132814.jpg
20180630_132808.jpg
20180630_132756.jpg
20180630_132750.jpg

Ziggy2017

Type of diabetes
Type 3
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes and injections
Hi @David1996 unfortunately I can’t recommend a lot maybe try lowering your insulin as for night time lows try a small snack pre bed
Hope this helps

Boo1979

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Are you double checking the lows are accurate by taking a comparative a finger prick blood sample?
Reason I ask is my Libre sensors have frequenrly shown me as being hypo when a blood test has shown me to actually be in the 6’s , particularly at night which I think might reflect ‘compression hypos’ whereby the sensor loses the plot if you lie on that arm

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
Hi @David1996,
Congratulations on being pregnant !!! And sorry to hear of your present troubles !!
Your endocrinologist is your best source of advice:
Do you need more carbs to balance out your insulin and ? reduce tendency to hypos, if there are accurate low readings?
As @Boo1979 says: The Libre may not be accurate, what is the difference between the gluco-meter and the Libre readings ?
Would use of an insulin pump give you better control than your current insulin regime ?
These are some suggestions for him/her to answer.
I have heard that ginger ('naked', non-crystallised form.has less sugar) sometimes settles morning sickness !!
Best Wishes for future !!

David1996

Are you double checking the lows are accurate by taking a comparative a finger prick blood sample?
Reason I ask is my Libre sensors have frequenrly shown me as being hypo when a blood test has shown me to actually be in the 6’s , particularly at night which I think might reflect ‘compression hypos’ whereby the sensor loses the plot if you lie on that arm

Yea even finger blood says the same nearly

David1996

Hi @David1996,
Congratulations on being pregnant !!! And sorry to hear of your present troubles !!
Your endocrinologist is your best source of advice:
Do you need more carbs to balance out your insulin and ? reduce tendency to hypos, if there are accurate low readings?
As @Boo1979 says: The Libre may not be accurate, what is the difference between the gluco-meter and the Libre readings ?
Would use of an insulin pump give you better control than your current insulin regime ?
These are some suggestions for him/her to answer.
I have heard that ginger ('naked', non-crystallised form.has less sugar) sometimes settles morning sickness !!
Best Wishes for future !!
Thank you I'll get on to them Monday

Applenerd81

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Carbs
Hi @David1996 the main cause of low blood glucose (assuming you're an insulin dependant diabetic) is too much insulin.

Congratulations being pregnant. Speak to your medical team asap for proper medical advice, it's likely you'll need to adjust your dosing.

MMcKirdy97

Type of diabetes
Type 1
It's this heat, your veins lie closer to the surface and burns the glucose quicker! I've cut my fast acting insulin, from 1:10 to 1:30 max during breakfast and lunch as I'm going low in between meals. With the pregnancy too, could be causing a hotter body temperature through hormones or greater exertion? Maybe drop your fast acting by a few units and knock a couple of units off of your long acting, maybe a snack of about 15/20g of carbs or a small glass of full sugar soda or juice in between meals! Hope this helps :)

Last edited:

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
It's this heat, your veins lie closer to the surface and burns the glucose quicker! I've cut my fast acting insulin, from 1:10 to 1:30 max during breakfast and lunch as I'm going low in between meals. With the pregnancy too, could be causing a hotter body temperature through hormones or greater exertion? Maybe drop your fast acting by a few units and knock a couple of units of of your fast acting, maybe a snack of about 15/20g of carbs or a small glass of full sugar soda or juice! Hope this helps :)
Not sure if it is the glucose in the veins burning quicker but may be more blood through and around the injection site might cause increased uptake of insulin?

MMcKirdy97

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Not sure if it is the glucose in the veins burning quicker but may be more blood through and around the injection site might cause increased uptake of insulin?
The body’s metabolism is higher in hot and humid weather which can lead to an increased chance of hypoglycemia :)