Playing Football

Matthew1990

Dislikes
Working.
Working
and
Working!
Hey all,

I play 5 a side football twice/three times a week and before I begin I test my sugar levels are always been 5-8mmol which is fine. After the football I'm always between 10-14mmol, which is high obviously. Just wondering if this high sugar level will cause any complications etc? My sugar level does return back within the normal ranges shortly after finishing football because I always have food after football so injecting insulin for the food returns me back to within the normal suitable ranges.

On some occassions depending on sugar level before football I have an alpen bar/apple and always drink water throughout.

Hope someone can help in anyway :)

Thanks Matt

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Matt.
It's the 'consistent' high levels which will cause the complications. That and the length of time they stay that high ? The odd excursion isn't going to hurt.

Here is some advice regarding exercise and levels etc.......

http://medweb.bham.ac.uk/easdec/prevent ... ercise.htm

Matthew1990

Dislikes
Working.
Working
and
Working!
Thanks for the help Cugila

Soo really then keeping sugar levels before 4-9 and having good control is just like non-diabetic's then?

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Basically yes. Keep the levels in control best you can and you will find you won't run out of steam, and will avoid those complications. We may be diabetic but the processes at work in our bodies dictate how we will perform.

As a T1 I wouldn't advise aiming for non-Diabetic levels though.......way too low really. You always need to keep hypo awareness as well which usually diminishes if you run too low for too long.

Keep that balance and you shouldn't go far wrong...... :)

alaska

I think some type 1s who safely can, should try aiming to keep their levels at non-diabetic levels -however...

It's about where the safety line is drawn.

Even though I try to keep my levels below 7.5 mmol/l where possible, I'll make exceptions for certain things -notably driving.

I'm not going to beat myself up if I get 8.3 after an hour's driving because I feel it's better than risking a hypo.

Risking hypos at night can also be risky and some people are worse affected by hypos than others.

I get a lot of hypos because I fairly aggressively keep my sugars down but my hypo awareness is significantly better than it was when I was eating a high-carb diet and had blood sugars like a rollercoaster.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Matthew,

The higher readings might indicate that you don't have sufficient insulin in your body before exercise. During exercise your liver releases glucose for energy, insulin helps the glucose get into the cells but also regulates the amount of glucose that is released by your liver, without insulin the liver will continue to pump out glucose and this could explains why your readings get higher during and after exercise.

I like to be around 8-9mmol before exercise and find that 30-60 mins of exercise lowers my bg by 2-3mmol, if I am starting on 6-7mmol then I eat a 10-20g snack to keep my levels up. Just remember also that hypo's are more likely after exercise and over the following 12-18 hours, this is due to the body replacing its energy stores depleted during exercise- so do keep an eye on your bg over this period.

Nigel

aaliya

Football is the best sports game to play, I always used to Watch ESPNU this is great to play even this game, now, I am waiting for the upcoming new series of this one.