Type 1'stars R Us

jlarsson

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
mods who selectively modify posts for explicit language that isn't explicit
Yes. I read recently that compared to similar countries we were pretty stingy with the pumps.

The NHS, or NICE recommendations, are sort of catch 22 like. they recently started recommending a 6.5% HbA1c, but they did it because too many people T1D were so far above the previous, higher average. But, they then create so many hurdles to getting the technology you need to achieve that HbA1c, and the harder you work at achieving it, the less likely you are to qualify for pumps, or CGM.

\Help! :eek: we are prisoners in a system that is not at all logical.
That's basically the complete opposite of what it logically should be if conserving resources was the point since if you can manage well enough without it you demonstrably don't really need it. At least that's how I view it.

Reactions: Alison54321

Alison54321

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
That's basically the complete opposite of what it logically should be if conserving resources was the point since if you can manage well enough without it you demonstrably don't really need it. At least that's how I view it.

It's a difficult issue. There is an argument for giving it to people who need it most, because they are failing badly. Obviously. But then it creates a group of people who work very hard to control their blood sugar, but never get any help.

I spent a number of years trying really hard to control my blood sugars, doing loads of finger prick tests, I rarely got as low as 6.5% HbA1, but it was a lot of time and effort, and quite stressful too But because I was in the "okish" range I was considered to be doing well enough not to need any extra technology.

The people in that group don't really get much help, which is probably, I would guess, quite demotivating.

Fortunately I now get Freestyle Libre. But it's a very short sighted policy.

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @Cumberland . Thank you for the lovely pics.
Spent a long weekend at Ullswater/ Watermillock a few years back. Wife's 50th birthday.
Had a great trip on the " steamers "', visited the falls ( memory fails me on name ) , some great meals and drove along some crazy , windey , hilly road one night:):).
Absolutely lovely part of the country.

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bigotry, reliance on unsupported 'facts', unkindness, unfairness.
We had many many lovely times in the Lake District and there’s nothing to beat a meal at Wainwright’s when you’ve walked your socks off, unless it’s the long walk along the lake and the paddle steamer back on Ullswater.

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Love the photos, Cumbs. We went to the Lake District for a few days a couple of years ago, was lovely. Had a crack at Scafell Pike in preparation for a charity climb up Snowdon, but it defeated me.

karen8967

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
So is getting a pump difficult with the NHS then? I've been offered one(not from the NHS) multiple times but always turned it down because I don't want to have to wear stuff and it getting in the way and everything, but there was never any mention of having to fulfil any criteria or anything like that, just a straight up offer if I wanted one. Congratulations on Libre at least, that's a wearable that doesn't get in the way. ;)
I wear mine on lower back now due to irratation to arms and it works just as well and its out of sight

Reactions: Cumberland

CranberryIce

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Do you know how much you drop for each unit. Base guide is 1 unit to drop 3mmol but mine's more 1 unit 1.8mmol drop. Everyone's different, it's finding the right balance for yourself. See how it goes if you keep getting hypos then definitely change the fast acting waking up at 5.7 sounds like your Basel is at the right dose.

I think (need to monitor to be sure) that 1 unit drops me by 3mmol, unless I am over 8- I seem to need more to bring me down then.

Will try reducing my morning bolus- IF I wake up in the 5’s.

Cumberland

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Foodwise Nuts & Mushrooms (Vomit)
Hi @Cumberland . Thank you for the lovely pics.
Spent a long weekend at Ullswater/ Watermillock a few years back. Wife's 50th birthday.
Had a great trip on the " steamers "', visited the falls ( memory fails me on name ) , some great meals and drove along some crazy , windey , hilly road one night:):).
Absolutely lovely part of the country.

Aira Force are the falls @therower

Dipped my tootsies in the lake lol

Cumberland

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
We had many many lovely times in the Lake District and there’s nothing to beat a meal at Wainwright’s when you’ve walked your socks off, unless it’s the long walk along the lake and the paddle steamer back on Ullswater.

Often go to Pooley Bridge some lovely pubs there

Reactions: Fairygodmother

jlarsson

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
mods who selectively modify posts for explicit language that isn't explicit
It's a difficult issue. There is an argument for giving it to people who need it most, because they are failing badly. Obviously. But then it creates a group of people who work very hard to control their blood sugar, but never get any help.

I spent a number of years trying really hard to control my blood sugars, doing loads of finger prick tests, I rarely got as low as 6.5% HbA1, but it was a lot of time and effort, and quite stressful too But because I was in the "okish" range I was considered to be doing well enough not to need any extra technology.

The people in that group don't really get much help, which is probably, I would guess, quite demotivating.

Fortunately I now get Freestyle Libre. But it's a very short sighted policy.
It sure is, and unfortunately common due to the pharmaceutical industry notoriously overcharging customers, and by extension the tax payer. We as diabetics are just in deeper **** than others as our lives are dependent on them, not just our quality of life. I can't wait for the day when the open source movement enables us to make our own tailored for ourselves drugs at a much cheaper price.

I wear mine on lower back now due to irratation to arms and it works just as well and its out of sight
Does it not cause problems when lying down or exercising or anything? The back moves quite a bit so I can't imagine that working well, but if it works for you then good for you. :)

Reactions: Alison54321

Cumberland

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Love the photos, Cumbs. We went to the Lake District for a few days a couple of years ago, was lovely. Had a crack at Scafell Pike in preparation for a charity climb up Snowdon, but it defeated me.

Some brutes to climb in the Lake District

Hellvellyn was the only one to beat me and I’d never even think about going up there in a helicopter a beast of a mountain

How did you fare on Snowdon?

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Some brutes to climb in the Lake District

Hellvellyn was the only one to beat me and I’d never even think about going up there in a helicopter a beast of a mountain

How did you fare on Snowdon?
I got there! Raised over £900 for charity, too - mainly because nobody sponsoring me thought I could actually make it. Dislocated my knee three times on the way down and permanently damaged it, so it’ll be the train for me if I even do it again. So I’ve got two out of the Three Peaks, at least. Did Ben Nevis years ago before I fell to bits.

Reactions: porl69

Tony337

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being on holiday....
My sugar level has just gone up......columbia have equalised!

K

Knikki

@Tony337 that does not sound good.o_O

Lake District? Love the place go up at least if not twice a year always end up in Keswick has one of the finest chip pies, Thai and good pubs, plus a huge chocolate shop :)

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bigotry, reliance on unsupported 'facts', unkindness, unfairness.
I got there! Raised over £900 for charity, too - mainly because nobody sponsoring me thought I could actually make it. Dislocated my knee three times on the way down and permanently damaged it, so it’ll be the train for me if I even do it again. So I’ve got two out of the Three Peaks, at least. Did Ben Nevis years ago before I fell to bits.

Walked up Snowden many years ago, younger and fitter then, but we were knackered by it and took the train back down.