How Has Your Life Changed Since Being Diagnosed ?

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
I was diagnosed 6 years ago and was a Business Development Manager, but found after diagnosis that I struggled with keeping my bg levels in check and was having hypos whilst in client meetings, it left my confidence dented and of course it affected my performance. I now do a finance role so am office based which is better for my blood glucose levels, but I loved my old career so of course miss it. After a hypo this morning (which is sometimes where my mind seems to race more) I thought about other adults diagnosed with type 1 and how they have coped and what lifestyle changes they needed to make. I know I hear repeatedly that we shouldn't let t1 affect our lives, but in some cases it can and it does, regardless of how small, how has your life changed since diagnosis ?

O_DP_T1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I know no different was diagnosed at the age of 3 and it has had NO real effect on my life as I have no pre-diabetis to compare with. Has it stopped me achieving and doing what I want in life NO!! It's more difficult to dome things compared to 'normal people', and the condition is hugely annoying.

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
I know no different was diagnosed at the age of 3 and it has had NO real effect on my life as I have no pre-diabetis to compare with. Has it stopped me achieving and doing what I want in life NO!! It's more difficult to dome things compared to 'normal people', and the condition is hugely annoying.

In some ways I think handling diabetes would be easier if diagnosed as a child as there isn't a 'previous' life to compare against, so my question is really for adults who were diagnosed, I should of probably said this in my first post :)

Reactions: Jayden2407
D

Deleted Account

I am stubborn. Stubborn to the point of making things difficult for me.
So the way diabetes has changed my life has made me more determined.
I went from an office based role to a customer facing sales role.
I went from doing a little exercise to getting frustrated if I haven't exercised.
I went from doing lots of travel to ... still doing lots of travel.

OK, this may just be part of me getting older and wanting change (something else about me is that I like to try everything at least once) and have nothing to do with diabetes.
It may have something to do with me being an introvert who wants to be an extrovert so I deliberately put myself in uncomfortable positions in order to "push" myself. It does not always work.
Or it could be my reaction to being diagnosed with type 1 diabetes in my mid 30s.

How do you work out cause and effect?

jlarsson

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
mods who selectively modify posts for explicit language that isn't explicit
I was 14 when diagnosed so there were plenty of changes at the time even without that condition of ours. Hard to say what changed really, to me it's more of a what could have been if it wasn't for diabetes screwing everything up, causing all those periods of depression and everything.

Edited by Mod for language

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Fairygodmother

Circuspony

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm 10 months into diagnosis as an adult and its definitely slowed me down. My energy levels are a lot lower and I get tired easily. It's frustrating because I can't do everything I used to do - my body just isn't capable any more.

Hba1c down to 49 now so consultants just say 'you're doing well', but really I'd like my old life back!!

My GP ran blood tests to make sure there was nothing else going on, but it does look like this is all due to the diabetes. I found myself in the pharmacy the other day thinking I'd be glad when this was all sorted, then it kicked in that this isn't going to be sorted. It's here for the rest of my life and that's quite depressing really.

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
Diagnosed at 6. Have only known T1D! Have never liked it much BUT, hey, its mine and there are a lot of worst things out there :D

Edit - Ooops just read your second post.....ignore my comment lol

Jollymon

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Not having good chocolate, and not cycling
I was 11 at the start of this journey. I can remember that I felt horrible and didn’t really understand any of it. Meters didn’t exist in the “take home” version, so things were hit or miss depending on urine testing, and the thing I hated most of blood work. But I feel better when I dominate the condition.

I know some will look at me differently because of it. It kind of segregates me. But for those friends that I really have I think the friendship is stronger. This is because they see my efforts and know what I do.

I’m sure I’ve not gotten opportunities as result of being different, but I’ve excelled at the ones that I have been given. Maximize what you have, and learn to walk away from the things you can’t have.

Last edited:
Reactions: Fairygodmother

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bigotry, reliance on unsupported 'facts', unkindness, unfairness.
I was diagnosed in 1969. In the first instance T1 seriously messed up my time at University - the symptoms persisted for a few months and a few doctor visits before DKA. After that, tiredness and hypos did for the remainder of my Uni life.
So I suppose a poorer degree than I might have got without T1 has impacted.
The next few years were pretty good and I did a lot of exciting things.
Pregnancy, back in the late 70s was tough and life with two small children would have been even more enjoyable without T1. But we still had fun and did interesting things, especially as they got older and we travelled. I was the first in the family to learn to scuba dive and we had some fantastic diving holidays.
Work would have easier without T1 too - struggling in after nighttime hypos became routine. I always found things went better if I had enough exercise. However, I enjoyed what I did and only left when bad modern management mad life tough, and a lot of non-T1 people left too.
After the first three really debilitating years I came to view T1 as a challenge and pushed not just to do what I wanted but to prove to myself that I could also do things that may have daunted a few people without T1.
I think that better tech and better insulins has made a big difference.
I’m retired now, apart from some self-chosen self-employment, and revel in the fact that for the most part I can choose whether to be active or to sit for a while in the garden and watch the wildlife.
Exercise is still essential.

Reactions: Juicyj
K

Knikki

I have had this nearly all my life, I was diagnosed when 18mths old and that was 1965, like others can't really compare to an old life.

The only thing this has stopped me doing is being an RAF pilot, then again in another life on another planet I will be flying a space ship :D

Type 1 is a major PITA to be honest and yes I hypo (much prefer that to being hyper, but that is just me) but then again it really does not stop me from doing anything else and eat many things that would send many flying in to a major "tut tut tut you can't do that...." but frankly I don't care, life is to short.
Then again I don't hide my diabetese. I will happily sit in resurants, pubs infact anywhere, test bloods (now Libre), sitck insuling pens, or in the past syringes etc in me. People sometimes look in horror, but I look back and smile, usually makes them think again and if anyone asks then I will happily talk to them about it. One favorite is "I have gentic muation, bit like an X-Men but can't fly :D"

Even after all this time, I sometimes get things wrong.

Having reread this it completly misses the orginal question sorry @Juicyj :)

Last edited by a moderator:

laurakirkup

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I think being diabetic is always going to effect you, there is no way it can't. There's no denying that it's not always easy but it does get better.

I had a turning point this year when I decided I can either let it dictate my life or I can take control, I have embrecaed being diabetic, it's part of what makes me me. Yes there are some things I miss out on or can't do but there are also positives! I work with young children and adults and am always telling them they just have to do their best and be themselves, up until recently I don't think any of them even knew I was diabetic, but why not? I now inject infront of them, test my bloods and tell them if I need a break for five. It may not be glamorous but if I can be honest and imbrace my broken body and carry it with pride it might help these children embrace themselves. I use my diabetes as a tool to show these kids it's okay to be yourself.
It doesn't make my management any easier or the bad days any better but I have since had three come up to me to tell me their diabetic and talk about it, I've known them for three years and they have never spoken about it before!
The more I embrace it the more I feel I control it, whether that's by sticking a bright sticker on my libre or asking a waiter for the carbohydrate content in a meal, it's part of me but like hell is it going to define me.
Put you first, then work your diabetes around it.

...and go back to your old job, just keep dounughts in the meeting room!

pinewood

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It's an interesting question. I've always been a pretty anxious person and get stressed very easily. T1D has absolutely not helped in that regard; I am a bit of a perfectionist so constantly striving for "perfect" blood sugars which means I never have a second off and I am constantly stressing and checking my levels - so the biggest change to my life has probably been more stress.

It's hard enough to deal with work, relationships, bills and general "real life" but when you add T1D into the mix it can really send stress levels soaring, so I think the phrase "diabetes burn out" is so true. I wish we could all take a day off once in a while.

Having said all that, it hasn't really stopped me doing anything and even though I have a very stressful job I have managed to keep it post diagnosis. I still eat the same foods and do the same exercise. I was diagnosed in December 2014 and have been lucky enough to have always had CGM, the thought of dealing with T1D without CGM literally gives me shivers.

Bluey1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People who try and make Diabetes the centre of the party and poor me, I'm special because I have diabetes now everyone run around after me.
I was diagnosed in my 30's. I refuse to let it get in the road of anything. Does it annoy me at times you bet. Feeling horrible from being high and low, being careful of what I drink and eat, Drs appointments bouts of mild depression etc.

However if I had to go into the disease Supermarket and come out with something, I wouldn't swap it. Many of us get off lightly, I'm fully aware of the consequences of complications and a 100 years ago and we would all be dead (T1's). We have amazing technology pump CGM etc.

As a T1 I have taken out a sporting state championship, hold a well paying albeit stressful job. Diabetes has made me more determined, so in some ways it has given me drive I didn't have. I eat healthier food and I visit Drs 4 times a year pre D a Dr once every 4 years.

Reactions: Juicyj and Knikki

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The main difference for me is that after a virtual lifetime of doing what I wanted when I wanted, going long periods without eating and being very flexible (shift work), I suddenly have to think about every morsel I put in my mouth and when, I have to think in advance what I am going to do whether it be a run (no longer impromptu), a visit to the shops, arranging an appointment at work etc, constantly thinking about food and insulin. I guess that can be summed up as I miss my freedom. I also dislike having to carry insulin pens etc about with me, yes, it is slowly becoming the norm but it's still annoying. Oh, and feeling like a kid caught red handed whenever I talk to the Doctor, with the best will in the world they cannot seem to help being patronising.

Reactions: porl69 and Tminus2

pinewood

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
However if I had to go into the disease Supermarket and come out with something, I wouldn't swap it. Many of us get off lightly, I'm fully aware of the consequences of complications and a 100 years ago and we would all be dead (T1's). We have amazing technology pump CGM etc.
This is so true. When T1D is getting us down it's often worth taking 5 mins to remind ourselves that yes it is a pain in the rear end but there are many worse conditions out there.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Not formally a type1 but treated as one since six weeks from diagnosis, tha (edit: don't my typo's make me gangsta or what :p ) main differences are making sure I'm aware of my bg 24/7, never leaving the house without my rucksac or plastic Aldi bag, choosing foods and treats that are easier to handle insulin-wise, most of the time (who would've thought I would happily be eating chicory with hummus instead of dorito's?) and navigating between perfect bg and things like swimming, spontaneous parties, walking over to the neighbours to help them out with sheep shearing or an unrepressable craving of Chinese take away.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
And things like right now, which happen every day. I'm about to cook (well, warm up and pimp leftovers plus cutting an onion for the salad), but I'll wait another 20 minutes to see wether I under- or overestimated my bolus for the beer I just had. That will decide if I have this moderate carb vega thingy (not a clue what's in them, except the amount of carbs, but I love them) to go along with it or if I'll put an egg on top of it and some more salad.

Reactions: Juicyj

ExtremelyW0rried

Type of diabetes
Type 1
T1 takes away any spontaneity. I cannot imagine the freedom of just fancying something to eat. Going to bed earlier than usual without them having to wake to check levels (drop when I sleep at unusual times), going for a run or a walk - particularly in hot weather. Even having a warm bath.
I have to check and assess my levels all the time. I have to make constant judgments to keep myself alive. It is draining. I would so love a day off. I was diagnosed aged nearly 12 and it didn’t bother me for years but these last few years it’s really got me down. I’m more tired than my friends seem to be, much much more tired. I’m more anxious. Life is not as fun.
I know everyone has their issues but I have my issues AND t1 diabetes. It is relentless and time consuming and if you get it right what’s the ‘reward’? The reward is what most people take for granted. Living to old age, not going blind, keeping my limbs.

Reactions: Olwin11

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Well, I eat less carbs and eat more healthily MOST OF THE TIME! I have a gubbins stuck in my arm, prick my fingers regularly and reckon up what I am going to eat so I know how much insulin to stab into my body. I never climb into the pool, or drive without checking I am safe. I constantly have a rucksack with me containing what I refer to as my kit. Other than that it hasn’t changed a jot!!!!
Joking apart the minute this blessed condition prevents me doing anything I want to do then there will be problems. Life is for living.
Although retired now, I was working in a school when diagnosed 4 years ago. We were due to go on a residential to Spain. Did I go? You bet your life I did. In fact I went the following year too. I didn’t worry about food or levels too much. I ran slightly higher than normal so that I was safe supervising somebody else’s precious 11 year olds. The other staff didn’t notice any difference from the previous year when I wasn’t diabetic.
To be honest I believe that all the technology and medication we have available these days makes things so much easier than it did just 10 years ago. But it also makes us micromanage and worry more.

Last edited:

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
Going to work with a hangover that is not alcohol induced. Having to test before meetings to check I'll not make more of an idiot of myself than usual. Saying no to office snacks unless I REALLY fancy one. Crashing out at 8.30 in the evening. Always having to carry a handbag!

Reactions: Olwin11