Type 1'stars R Us

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
@porl69 - surely your hypo unawareness should qualify you? I’m really hoping that the fact that on a certain week each month I have to take up to 15 (record so far) correction doses a day might get me one.
WOW beats me - my record is 11 correction doses. Really felt like giving up that day

Reactions: Fairygodmother

jlarsson

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
mods who selectively modify posts for explicit language that isn't explicit
Why so many? Easier to give yourself fewer but more units per, no?

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
WOW beats me - my record is 11 correction doses. Really felt like giving up that day
Nightmare, isn’t it? I have about three days with 11-15 corrections, but if I increase my Tresiba I hypo all the time as it takes so long to kick in. I can’t quite predict when the resistance is actually going to start. The DSN at the clinic I spoke to for advice actually suggested a lump to solve the issue, so I can only assume that would mean I’d be eligible? I’m seeing my consultant in September, so she said we’d discuss it then. Means I can collect another two months of data to show them. She did say that they can see my control is better than it’s ever been, but also that I’m having to do ridiculous amounts of work (that really impact on daily life) to achieve that.

So fingers crossed. For all of us!

karen8967

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It is a bit unfair especially after they told you about it. At least they know you are interested now and have jusmped the first stage.
I am awaiting for my appointment with the "pump consultant" now. My other half is desperate for me to get news as I go on about it all the time lol. She is VERY understanding now
il keep everything crossed for you one of us needs to be succsessful .appointment shouldnt take too long hopefully ,mine came within 3 weeks of consultant mentioning it ;)

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Because having too much insulin on board means hypos. Better to dribble in half a unit every hour or so than take say two units in one hit and then crash, which is what happens for me. It’s basically being a manual pump, I guess.

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people

I was ill at the time and did not want to over correct the highs and end up too low (that happend that day as well)

jlarsson

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Because having too much insulin on board means hypos. Better to dribble in half a unit every hour or so than take say two units in one hit and then crash, which is what happens for me. It’s basically being a manual pump, I guess.
You're still stacking a ton of units that way though if you're injecting that often, there must be better ways(not counting a pump) of managing it, like how wine somehow manages to be that magic bullet of not causing hypos and also not spiking it.

jlarsson

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I was ill at the time and did not want to over correct the highs and end up too low (that happend that day as well)
That makes sense, I think we've all been there. Don't think I've ever done that many in a day though. :)

Reactions: porl69

Alison54321

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I like the idea of an insulin elf, goblin, or spirit of some sort, that causes random unexpected blood sugars. It

This happens to me sometimes, too. My reasoning is, that at times like this I would try first the normal correction dose, then if it's not working, end up doing a bit of stacking.

But we can't really know in advance that a normal correction dose won't work.

Reactions: Fairygodmother

jlarsson

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I like the idea of an insulin elf, goblin, or spirit of some sort, that causes random unexpected blood sugars. It

This happens to me sometimes, too. My reasoning is, that at times like this I would try first the normal correction dose, then if it's not working, end up doing a bit of stacking.

But we can't really know in advance that a normal correction dose won't work.
I would usually prefer overdoing it and correct a hypo with a banana or something rather than doing multiple smaller injections trying to get it down.

slip

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Would anyone like to guess what my BG level has been like this morning? Either I forgot to put my testing kit in my bag (very odd as I put my pen in there - and they always stay together and the wife would have seen it and called/text me to say so) or I left it in the car when I was rummaging around for something else in the bag before I got on the bike, or I've lost it in between the car and work.........

jlarsson

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Would anyone like to guess what my BG level has been like this morning? Either I forgot to put my testing kit in my bag (very odd as I put my pen in there - and they always stay together and the wife would have seen it and called/text me to say so) or I left it in the car when I was rummaging around for something else in the bag before I got on the bike, or I've lost it in between the car and work.........
I'm gonna guess it's low so you should go grab yourself some delicious snack and get it back up.

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
I would usually prefer overdoing it and correct a hypo with a banana or something rather than doing multiple smaller injections trying to get it down.

I would tend to agree with you BUT being hypo unaware I am in a pickle if I go low as I try to do things and forget what I just got up for OR totally don't have a clue on what I am doing. My other half often films me to show me how stoopid I look lol

jlarsson

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I would tend to agree with you BUT being hypo unaware I am in a pickle if I go low as I try to do things and forget what I just got up for OR totally don't have a clue on what I am doing. My other half often films me to show me how stoopid I look lol
As long as she(?) takes it seriously and helps you out, that's a good attitude to have, laughing at(or with in this case) yourself is a good quality to have.

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
As long as she(?) takes it seriously and helps you out, that's a good attitude to have, laughing at(or with in this case) yourself is a good quality to have.

Yeah she helps. We got together 4 years ago and really did not have a clue. She is my rock at the moment. We do tend to laugh at my stoopidness every now and again. When I went paragliding (Turkey 2017) the guy who piloted for me was really apprehensive about taking me up. Had to do a load of BG test before and during the flight :)

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
You're still stacking a ton of units that way though if you're injecting that often, there must be better ways(not counting a pump) of managing it, like how wine somehow manages to be that magic bullet of not causing hypos and also not spiking it.
I track it very carefully by entering all my shots into both the Spike and MySugr apps (so I can double check), so I know exactly how much I have on board at any one time. I never have more than 2u in my body at a time, I just keep topping it up. I’m basically being a manual pump, running an extended bolus.

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
No idea, can’t even guess my own ;)

jlarsson

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I track it very carefully by entering all my shots into both the Spike and MySugr apps (so I can double check), so I know exactly how much I have on board at any one time. I never have more than 2u in my body at a time, I just keep topping it up. I’m basically being a manual pump, running an extended bolus.
That's so obvious I can't believe I didn't think of that, goes to show what I'm missing out on by hating apps and phones in general. I'm more of a terminal and servers kind of guy. ;)

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
That's so obvious I can't believe I didn't think of that, goes to show what I'm missing out on by hating apps and phones in general. I'm more of a terminal and servers kind of guy. ;)
Tech has been the thing that has made glucose control click for me - I’ve always got my phone on me. So combining the Libre with MiaoMiao and my thirty quid Pebble watch means I can see almost in real time what’s happening with a glance at my wrist - and with Spike and MySugr to log it all and do the calculations, all I have to do is enter a bit of data, see what it says, and (crucially) if I agree, I’ll take a shot. MySugr has a bolus calculator, I entered all my correction factors according to time of day, so it'll suggest a dose. Spike has a clever feature where it shows a graph of how much IOB you have, and when it’s due to run out. I still make the final decision, but the tech really helps.

Put it this way, I’ve dropped my HbA1c from 94 with fingerpricks to 43 with the toys :borg:

K

Knikki

Well there is a question :jimlad:

The only answer I can come up with is time for cake :woot::joyful:;):angelic:

Yeah I know not much help I'm running low again :)