Cumberland

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Foodwise Nuts & Mushrooms (Vomit)
An ‘interesting’ 24 hours after a lovely patch of steadyish BG, just the low outer ranges on the libre. Yesterday whatever elf it was decided it’d better remind me it’s not always like that. I ran low all afternoon and evening, below 4 despite all the bits eaten to raise it. They ganged together to shove me to the top of Everest during the night, corrected, levelled out on the peak of Mont Blanc by the morning and now painting a pretty picture of the alps. Grrrrrrrrrrrrr! I’ve not had this kind of sequence for ages and I don’t like it. Feeling tired. And inadequate.

Liked out of empathy FG

Sending hugs

Reactions: Fairygodmother

jlarsson

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
mods who selectively modify posts for explicit language that isn't explicit
Tech has been the thing that has made glucose control click for me - I’ve always got my phone on me. So combining the Libre with MiaoMiao and my thirty quid Pebble watch means I can see almost in real time what’s happening with a glance at my wrist - and with Spike and MySugr to log it all and do the calculations, all I have to do is enter a bit of data, see what it says, and (crucially) if I agree, I’ll take a shot. MySugr has a bolus calculator, I entered all my correction factors according to time of day, so it'll suggest a dose. Spike has a clever feature where it shows a graph of how much IOB you have, and when it’s due to run out. I still make the final decision, but the tech really helps.

Put it this way, I’ve dropped my HbA1c from 94 with fingerpricks to 43 with the toys :borg:
Was on the phone with a recruiter just now chatting briefly about this very thing interestingly enough. :) Yeah as you will have read I was interested in a Pebble, or something better, but have yet to make the jump. The problem I have with the current available apps is that they don't do enough for me to consider it worth putting in all the effort, openAPS does it but that's restricted to pumps that I refuse to wear. I want to automate the whole carb counting(kinda factually incorrect, but you know what I mean) process and dosage decision making by applying machine learning to the entered data to yield predictive results, but it's a ton of effort to get it working to a usable degree.

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Was on the phone with a recruiter just now chatting briefly about this very thing interestingly enough. :) Yeah as you will have read I was interested in a Pebble, or something better, but have yet to make the jump. The problem I have with the current available apps is that they don't do enough for me to consider it worth putting in all the effort, openAPS does it but that's restricted to pumps that I refuse to wear. I want to automate the whole carb counting(kinda factually incorrect, but you know what I mean) process and dosage decision making by applying machine learning to the entered data to yield predictive results, but it's a ton of effort to get it working to a usable degree.
It’s still very early days for all this tech, isn’t it? I just picked up a spare Pebble from eBay last night for £26, literally all I want it for is to tell the time, BG and count steps. It’s got a handy maps app on too. A lot of the biohacker types are having success with closed loop systems, I don’t think it’s a million years away for the rest of us.

Reactions: Fairygodmother

jlarsson

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
It’s still very early days for all this tech, isn’t it? I just picked up a spare Pebble from eBay last night for £26, literally all I want it for is to tell the time, BG and count steps. It’s got a handy maps app on too. A lot of the biohacker types are having success with closed loop systems, I don’t think it’s a million years away for the rest of us.
One of the problems, if not the problem, is that there is no open standard, every project will do its own thing and every device will have its own way of doing things so it's a mammoth task to get one project(most notably xDrip) to work with multiple devices. The actual medical stuff is pretty simple as there will be a consensus no problem among researchers when it comes to algorithms and everything, but when you have a bunch of competitors making the tech in their own ways that are incompatible with each other, it's a huge problem.

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all.
What an absolutely sh*t day. Luckily my work mate on the machine was very sympathetic and had no problems letting me sit out back of the factory. Managed to dose off a few times:).
Managed breakfast at 5 a.m. not eaten since, just water.
So I went bed last night at 7.8. Had 15 g carbs prior to bed has I had a kinda thought last nights gym workout might have an affect in the early hours.
Dexcom which is still working ( day 33 ) showed that at midnight I dropped to 4.5 ( alarm set for 4.1 ) and managed to stay there or thereabouts until 2.30, I then dropped below 4.1, alarm went off so I had 4 glucotabs and fell back sleep until 4.30.
Got up at 4.30 and felt like I had had a real good / bad hypo. Calibrated dexcom . Dexcom 4.6 , blood 4.8. Looked back over the dexcom line for the night. It seems , even after the glucotabs I didn't manage to climb above 5.0 all night.
Can only think that I spent all night at hypo level, and only activated my alarm once. I think the reason I've been off all day is down to being in hypo range for almost 5 hrs.
Either way , whatever the cause, it's been an " interesting DIABETIC day ". Definitely got beat up well and proper today:banghead:.
Bring it on tomorrow, I'll show "it " who's the boss ;);)

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bigotry, reliance on unsupported 'facts', unkindness, unfairness.
Hi all.
What an absolutely sh*t day. Luckily my work mate on the machine was very sympathetic and had no problems letting me sit out back of the factory. Managed to dose off a few times:).
Managed breakfast at 5 a.m. not eaten since, just water.
So I went bed last night at 7.8. Had 15 g carbs prior to bed has I had a kinda thought last nights gym workout might have an affect in the early hours.
Dexcom which is still working ( day 33 ) showed that at midnight I dropped to 4.5 ( alarm set for 4.1 ) and managed to stay there or thereabouts until 2.30, I then dropped below 4.1, alarm went off so I had 4 glucotabs and fell back sleep until 4.30.
Got up at 4.30 and felt like I had had a real good / bad hypo. Calibrated dexcom . Dexcom 4.6 , blood 4.8. Looked back over the dexcom line for the night. It seems , even after the glucotabs I didn't manage to climb above 5.0 all night.
Can only think that I spent all night at hypo level, and only activated my alarm once. I think the reason I've been off all day is down to being in hypo range for almost 5 hrs.
Either way , whatever the cause, it's been an " interesting DIABETIC day ". Definitely got beat up well and proper today:banghead:.
Bring it on tomorrow, I'll show "it " who's the boss ;);)

Hope you have a better day tomorrow!!!! These after-hypo/hyper days are the pits - so hugs from a fellow sufferer these last 24 hours. May the T1 beast behave tomorrow or else!

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hope you have a better day tomorrow!!!! These after-hypo/hyper days are the pits - so hugs from a fellow sufferer these last 24 hours. May the T1 beast behave tomorrow or else!
Thank you. Not had a day like this for a good while. Tomorrow will be good:).
Hope you are feeling better too.
Just a little reminder not to get complacent for us.
Not feeling to bad now:). Raring to go ..........almost

K

Knikki

@therower Certainly sounds like you have a full on butt monkey day.

Why not set your alarm to go off when you reach 5?

Least that should allow you to catch it, and prop things up, because at a guess once you reach 5 then you drop really rapidly.

I have a similar issue when I get down to 4 but it is not uncommon for me to drop way lower. We're all different.

Last edited by a moderator:

CranberryIce

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Basal test attempt 3!!!

Woke up on a nice and steady 6.1 so rather than my usual 1.5 of quick acting insulin I gave 1 unit to stop it rocketing. I also gave my usual 8.5 units of levemir.

No food for the morning then lunch at 12pm with a BG of 4.9. I thought I had carb counted correctly but 1 hour later I was hitting 8.9. I then realised I hadn’t given bolus for the salad dressing and mayo.

2.30- still 8.9 so 1.5 units to bring it down. I usually find once I am over 8.5ish my sugars are stubborn and I usually need more insulin to bring them down.

6pm and I am 3.4

I still don’t know if my morning dose of levemir is right! Should I have not corrected that 8.9 and just watched if it came down by itself?

I did wake up intending to skip lunch just so I could see how long I could hold my BG 4.9.

Am I missing something really obvious?

Alison54321

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Basal test attempt 3!!!

Woke up on a nice and steady 6.1 so rather than my usual 1.5 of quick acting insulin I gave 1 unit to stop it rocketing. I also gave my usual 8.5 units of levemir.

No food for the morning then lunch at 12pm with a BG of 4.9. I thought I had carb counted correctly but 1 hour later I was hitting 8.9. I then realised I hadn’t given bolus for the salad dressing and mayo.

2.30- still 8.9 so 1.5 units to bring it down. I usually find once I am over 8.5ish my sugars are stubborn and I usually need more insulin to bring them down.

6pm and I am 3.4

I still don’t know if my morning dose of levemir is right! Should I have not corrected that 8.9 and just watched if it came down by itself?

I did wake up intending to skip lunch just so I could see how long I could hold my BG 4.9.

Am I missing something really obvious?

I've never done a basal test, so I'm not really much help, but if you had eaten breakfast, what would you have expected, roughly, you pre-lunch blood glucose to be?

The only problem I see here is that the Levemir curve is tapered at both ends, so for a couple of hours after injecting, depending on dose size, the tail end of the night time dose will also be part of the equation. Whereas by the time you get to the afternoon, it will be just the morning Levemir dose operating. So a lunch time basal test might give a fuller picture.

But I don't do basal tests, so don't take my advice too seriously.

Reactions: Cumberland

jlarsson

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Thanks Mel. RAIN!!!!!!!!!! Please send some to the Midlands. Not to much but just enough;)
Would appreciate a bit less heat here in London too, been sweating my b***s off for like 2 weeks straight.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Cumberland

CranberryIce

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've never done a basal test, so I'm not really much help, but if you had eaten breakfast, what would you have expected, roughly, you pre-lunch blood glucose to be?

The only problem I see here is that the Levemir curve is tapered at both ends, so for a couple of hours after injecting, depending on dose size, the tail end of the night time dose will also be part of the equation. Whereas by the time you get to the afternoon, it will be just the morning Levemir dose operating. So a lunch time basal test might give a fuller picture.

But I don't do basal tests, so don't take my advice too seriously.

I am aiming for 6 or below pre meals (pre-preg clinic targets).

Alison54321

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I am aiming for 6 or below pre meals (pre-preg clinic targets).

You got that before lunch. I find that my blood sugar is always lower in the afternoon. I think that's a me thing, as it happens whatever. Quite a lot of people find their blood sugars higher in the afternoon. What's your experience.

This isn't scientific basal testing, this is just guesstimating. What are you trends you have during the day?

CranberryIce

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Spike has a clever feature where it shows a graph of how much IOB you have, and when it’s due to run out. I still make the final decision, but the tech really helps.

Knowing how much insulin is on board has been a life saver for me -
love that feature on the libre reader but the graph sounds cool
too.

Put it this way, I’ve dropped my HbA1c from 94 with fingerpricks to 43 with the toys :borg: