Someone To Talk To

Kaate

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I’m about to do a basil test to see whether my night time injection is carrying me for 24 hours. I’ve got to have a couple days with no carbs. Can anyone name any foods that have no carbs?
Just need some support really as I don’t have anyone really to talk to

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bigotry, reliance on unsupported 'facts', unkindness, unfairness.
Hi Kaate, is this to find out whether you have T1 or have you already been diagnosed?
I don’t know how much support I can give, really, but have you got Carbs and Cals, or one of the other apps that’ll tell you the carbohydrate content of foods? You should be able to find quite a few no carb things in there.
Meat and fish that’s not had breadcrumbs, batter etc added, most cheese, raw mushrooms, kale and watercress have no carb.

Reactions: Dodo

Kaate

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I’ve had diabetes for 12 years...but the consultants have decided I may need to switch insulin :)

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Ah yes, forgot eggs. What insulin are you on now @Kaate?

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I was on Lantus and it definitely didn’t last 24 hours for me, it also used to regularly peak at 4 am and cause hypos. I’ve found Levemir twice a day much better (though I’ve just had one of those T1 days).

karen8967

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I’m on lantus of an evening and they think it’s not lasting 24 hours so they may change it to Levmir
i was on lantus but have now changed to tresiba .i used to take lantus at 10pm every night and would find it would tail off about 4pm the next day also bgs would dip quite low during the night but the tresiba has been marvolous for me .if you dont mind me asking why have you got to stop the carbs :)

Kaate

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
i was on lantus but have now changed to tresiba .i used to take lantus at 10pm every night and would find it would tail off about 4pm the next day also bgs would dip quite low during the night but the tresiba has been marvolous for me .if you dont mind me asking why have you got to stop the carbs :)

To see whether my blood stays stable cos if I’m not eating carbs I’m not injecting my day time injection so theoretically the night injection should keep it all normal

jlarsson

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
mods who selectively modify posts for explicit language that isn't explicit
I was on Lantus once a day since diagnosis until earlier this year when I switched to split dose Levemir and I've had huge improvements since, overnight hypos and hypers becoming the exception rather than the norm.

K

Knikki

I've been on Lantus for a dogs age and do wonder how long it last, however I was running low of a night and a lot of times in hypo land, but I now split mine, so just over half when I go to bed and top up when I wake up.

It has improved things a lot, but does not always work how I want it too. Still experimenting.

As for no carb foods lots of vegetables have no or little carb value plus what the others have said.

Reactions: Kaate

Jollymon

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Not having good chocolate, and not cycling
Hot tea settles me down. No carbs in that.

Jollymon

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Basal testing really sucks. No way around that. But you will be better for putting in the effort to figure it out.

Complaining about basal testing with my pump was the reason I joined my 1st DOCommunity. It helped to find people who understood what it was like for what I had to do.

Stay calm, and basal test on. The hard part about that is that life is never calm, and you still will need a basal rate to work with it.

I have a basal rate for work. An adjustment for it for stress. One for the weekend. And another for survival mode for endurance sports. My doctor doesn’t understand them, but likes the results in my a1c’s. Our lives ARE complicated.

Kaate

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Basal testing really sucks. No way around that. But you will be better for putting in the effort to figure it out.

Complaining about basal testing with my pump was the reason I joined my 1st DOCommunity. It helped to find people who understood what it was like for what I had to do.

Stay calm, and basal test on. The hard part about that is that life is never calm, and you still will need a basal rate to work with it.

I have a basal rate for work. An adjustment for it for stress. One for the weekend. And another for survival mode for endurance sports. My doctor doesn’t understand them, but likes the results in my a1c’s. Our lives ARE complicated.

I’ve worked out the meals I’m going to have no carbs and the rest is just normal monitoring :)

Reactions: Knikki

skytalker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Vegetables, meats, cold-meats they don't have carbs. However in order to adjust properly your levermir, lantus, etc. intake, you should eat nothing at all, and be in the hospital under medical observation since the procedure is really specific on every individual. A word of caution, please don't do it alone with no medical surveillance.

Kaate

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Vegetables, meats, cold-meats they don't have carbs. However in order to adjust properly your levermir, lantus, etc. intake, you should eat nothing at all, and be in the hospital under medical observation since the procedure is really specific on every individual. A word of caution, please don't do it alone with no medical surveillance.

The consultant has told me to not inject on my no carb days. I’m just following as I’ve been told

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
The consultant has told me to not inject on my no carb days. I’m just following as I’ve been told
Presumably he means your quick acting insulin? You shouldn’t ever stop taking your background one, it’s the one that keeps us ticking over. The other is just to give a boost when we eat carbs, so can be missed if we’re not eating any (and don’t need to correct).

Kaate

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Presumably he means your quick acting insulin? You shouldn’t ever stop taking your background one, it’s the one that keeps us ticking over. The other is just to give a boost when we eat carbs, so can be missed if we’re not eating any (and don’t need to correct).

Yes exactly the whole point of this test is to see whether my back ground insulin is correct for me because she doesn’t think I’m on the right one and she thinks it’s not lasting 24hours

Reactions: LooperCat

Jollymon

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes

There are many things in life that we have to fast for. None of them require medical surveillance. None.

For what she’s doing, there are only 3 possible outcomes. One is that things go perfectly and her blood sugar stays flat. She’ll test once an hour to monitor, and she will only be taking her basal insulin.

Another outcome is that she’ll go high, which means either she’s not taking enough, or that the enzyme she’s on isn’t lasting as long as it should.

The third is that she goes low. Which means she’s taking too much. The fix for this is as easy as eating food, adjusting the basal dose the next day, and trying again.

Basal testing isn’t forced work. If it fails, okay- eat food, or take more insulin. Then setup the experiment another day and try again.

She’s already taking the drug now, so this is not anything new. She’s only isolated other variables out to see what the basal insulin is doing. The only thing her doctor will want to see is the test data- what did the numbers do.