I’m Amazed More People Aren’t

ThePenguinPimp

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
lol yes but you can have double cream in it instead of milk! I just don't even look in the direction of the muffins!

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bigotry, reliance on unsupported 'facts', unkindness, unfairness.
And you can ask them, clearly, what they’ve got that isn’t full of carbohydrate! Every time! After time, after time, after time! And make some suggestions.

Tminus2

It was all laid out in front of me saying look at me! It’s strange in my diet days I’d have said ach I’ll use my saved up calories fir the week. Thing is I can’t cheat on this. I have to say though the low carbs/good carb sort of stops the craving so it’s almost been easier than a diet! Jeez what’s happened to me

Reactions: Fairygodmother

PatsyB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
before being diabetic I never realised it was crabs that had all the ingrediants in them that turned to glucose when eaten

crabs= carbs durrrr

Last edited:

Tminus2

before being diabetic I never realised it was crabs that had all the ingrediants in them that turned to glucose when eaten

I know. It’s tough giving them up but I’m trying so hard as I need to control this . I think I’m having a down day about it

SockFiddler

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It's tough, it really is.

I struggle particularly at this time of year, when my favourite thing used to be popping along to Costa for a quiet moment with a book and something gratuitously fluffy and over-priced. Even now, on the rare occasions I dare to meet friends in cafes, telling the staff I want just coffee, milk and ice all blended together is problematic: Costa, particularly, have no idea what I'm talking about (eventhough I've literally spelled it out for them) and will frequently put a syrup in there (as it helps the ice and liquid to blend and not separate) without telling me - and you have to walk past a double fridge AND a huge cake counter before you've even placed your order.

I recently had to go for tests in my local hospital (nothing serious), and the friend who came along and I decided to stop in the cafe for lunch. There was literally nothing I could eat. Not one thing. Not even a salad - they all came with sweetened dressings and croutons and would have sucked up my entire day's worth of carbs.

When you can't even eat hospital food because of the amount of sugar, it's hard not to despair.

There are some places I know will cater for me if I go out for a meal, where switching bread and potatoes isn't a big, crazy deal that needs to be explained several times, but by and large, I just don't bother to eat out anymore, and tend to politely refuse invitations that come my way.

But, I have to admit, I deeply miss lunches and coffees with friends and an excuse to get out the house for a while, and I feel that the sharpest just at the start of the summer, when the fine weather arrives and everyone starts making plans.

Hang in there xx

SockFiddler

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

Also, I LOVE that you accidentally typed "crabs". Made me properly giggle!

Reactions: Gannet

Tminus2

Haha. Deary me. I can relate to what you’re saying and the experiences you’ve had. But I’m determined to still do stuff. There needs to be more out there for us to eat. I might tag Jamie Oliver and see what he can do. He hates sugar

PatsyB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
I decided when visiting the cafe to have black coffee instead of latte which I used to have with semi skimmed milk dunno if makes a difference I seem to start the day out well then go down hill the rest of the day ...note to self START eating properly

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
My problem has been trying to make sure that the cream in cafes is actually proper cream.... from a cow. If and when I see it it is always the Elm Lea hybrid type of cream i.e half cream half vegetable oil. Nasty stuff.

SockFiddler

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I did once, foolishly, ask a Costa staffer if they had cream. They grabbed the make-frothy-whipped-cream cannister and said "Like this?"

"No," I patiently replied. "That has lots of sugar in it."

"It doesn't... it's just cream."

What followed was a 10 minute farce (with a growing queue behind me) as said staffer fumbled about looking for the box the liquid cream was supplied in and, boom, read that for every 100g of whipped final product, there was 23g of sugar.

"It's to help it stay fluffy and to sweeten the taste."

"What cream do you want, then?"

"Just a little pouring cream."

"But," she said, looking me straight in the eye and without a single hint of irony, "Isn't that, like, really bad for you?"

That was the moment I realised that Costa were no longer able to service my out-and-about beverage whims.

Reactions: zand

SockFiddler

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Curiously, after writing that, I thought I'd look up what Costa has to say on the matter:

https://www.costa.co.uk/nutrition/

Not quite sure where to start, really. I mean, the concept is that, somehow, sugar is an opt-out option by default: and staff will put syrups in drinks, even when someone has specifically said "I don't take sugar". I've seen this many times, and reasons given include:

- Helps to emulsify (mix together) the iced drinks
- It's part of the recipe
- Staff just plain didn't know the syrup contained sugar
- Staff thought "Don't take sure" means customer won't be adding any sachets.

I watched a woman recently make 3 attempts to get an unsweetened latte. This kinda of ignorance really exemplifies what we're up against when we're eating out with friends. On the one hand, you want a drink that's not going to shred your health. On the other hand, you don't want to be making a fuss or be seen to be being difficult.

"While only 32% of Costa drinks contain added sugar..."

But the page on nutrition doesn't list which ones. Helpful. They go somewhat into hoe the Cappuchino's sugar content is exclusively in the cocoa powder dusting. But, buried deep in the "How to read the nutrition" link you find this:

https://www.costa.co.uk/how-to-read-the-data

There's isn't a variety of take-out cappuchino that comes in at less than 10g sugar / 100ml - and that's meant to be just coffee and frothy milk!

Finally, the last section "Howe to make your drink lighter" is called that at all instead of "healthier" given all the malarkey they've just described in vague terms about how they're trying to present customers with healthier drinks. But, also, 5/6 of those tips are about cutting sugar.

So given that that's a big pile of nonsense to trudge through just to get a coffee, I sort of flail helplessly at the thought of an entire meal these days.