20 Week Fetal Heart Scan In London ?

Tilly_S

Type of diabetes
Type 1
so I’m preg with 3rd baby had diabetes since I was 8, Iv never been told I needed this ... my dsn said it’s standard and was confused why Iv never had one ( lived in diff areas )
Has anyone had one ? What does it involve
Why is it in London ??
Where in London ?
Sorry I’m just worrying
Thankyou x

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hi @Tilly_S I've not heard of it either, but that doesn't mean to say it should be anything worrying, just another check and perhaps it's a new process they have just started doing specific to diabetes, I really can't answer your question, but try not to worry, it's not good for you or baby, I would ask your DSN again if you have worries and see what they say.

hboyt

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Not sure where you are based but several of my friends living a hour outside of London had their 20 week scan at kings college hospital in Denmark hill London. It's a recent thing with the last year and they have a brand new state of the art facility. 5 min walk from the station so makes very easy to get to

Tilly_S

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Thankyou for the reply
Good to hear it’s a new thing the doc made it sound like it wasn’t so worried me ! I have a normal 20 week booked so I’m a bit confused if this will replace it or not really I will ask on Tuesday at my consultant app though

Reactions: Juicyj

BAZ-ANDREWS

so I’m preg with 3rd baby had diabetes since I was 8, Iv never been told I needed this ... my dsn said it’s standard and was confused why Iv never had one ( lived in diff areas )
Has anyone had one ? What does it involve
Why is it in London ??
Where in London ?
Sorry I’m just worrying
Thankyou x

Hiya!
I’m currently 16 weeks pregnant with my first baby and have been told about this cardiac scan too. Apparently it is actually really interesting and amazing to see, and now something they give to all pregnant type 1’s at 20 weeks. It’s to check the development of the heart and make sure everything is as it should be. I have been told that it is in the Evelina hospital which is in Westminster, right next to St.Thomas’ xx

Tilly_S

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Thankyou :) praying all is well !! When is yours for ? I need to rearrange mine as partner can’t make it but it’s for August 20th .... xx

quintel

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I didn’t have one but a diabetic friend of mine who lives in the next area over had it done. It depends on the area I think. I asked about it as I wasn’t offered one and she was, and I was told they didn’t do them unless there was concern like condition in the family, or if you had a high HbA1C when you became pregnant xx