Medtrum - the new low cost CGM solution now being sold

slip

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Tim2000s I have had 2 updates so far on my Android device one on the 18th May and the other 24th May and the latest software you should be using is 1.3.5 (56)

Just checked my iPhone version 1.3.9(122). Does that mean I win? ;)

Accuracy has been pretty spot on for most the day, I still wouldn’t use it to control a pump though as do have the odd reading that’s up to 1.5mmol out one way or the other once a day.

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Tim2000s I have had 2 updates so far on my Android device one on the 18th May and the other 24th May and the latest software you should be using is 1.3.5 (56)
iPhone versioning will be different. Mine is up to date because there are no updates in the App store for it....

slip

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
So sensor came to an ‘end’ Saturday, struggled to get things working after then, but sensor is now working although very sparodicaly had to do lots of calibration where possible and then it soon looses track. Probably wasn’t helped by a 5mile walk and a five pint pub visit today:joyful:

slip

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm on my second sensor now, As I said first 1 was good for the first 7 days, post 7 days it was a bit hit and miss but roughly in the same ball park as finger pricks, needed extra calibrations to try and stay within my acceptable limits put it that way but it soon lost track, eventually it started reporting errors calibrating and eventually the sensor failed at day 13. I do certainly notice the 'lag' though, I'm not sure if the A6 has an algorithm like the Libre.

Day 3 of my second sensor and it's been pretty spot on - it nice when you come to calibrate it and it's only 0.1 or 0.2 out.

No reactions, well I say that, after having working sensor number 1 on for 13/14 days I only had a slight red mark which has now cleared up, nothing like the 5 days weeping chemical like burn from the Libre. :)

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Got through a full fourteen days on this sensor. After the sensor has expired it steadfastly refuses to reconnect, and that's following a transmitter disconnect and recharge. I'm pretty sure it's safe to say that you have to be really careful when removing the transmitter in order to try and get more than 14 days out of it.

The second sensor was on a par with the first for me in terms of accuracy over two weeks, although the first week was awful.

Comparison data is below for the equivalent of MARD:

upload_2018-6-4_13-59-34.png

I'm not seeing anything that looks like the results that they publicise (i.e. 9% MARD).

Attachments

• upload_2018-6-4_14-0-28.png
    upload_2018-6-4_14-0-28.png
    4.1 KB · Views: 396

slip

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
so my current sensor, 3 days old, has failed! :(

displayed some erratic sg levels last night but before bed and on waking bg tests were quite close - totally out the blue this PM app reported a sensor failure and to use a new one.

i contacted medtrum, will hear back tomorrow.

Last edited:

glitterbomb

so my current sensor, 3 days old, has failed! :(

displayed some erratic sg levels last night but before bed and on waking bg tests were quite close - totally out the blue this PM app reported a sensor failure and to use a new one.

i contacted medtrum, will hear back tomorrow.

Can you please update how you got on with this? We started a week ago and had the training session from the rep but have had 2 sensor failures - one lasting just 24 hours and the second 3 days. My husband is also wearing one which seems to have bared up for a week so far. They have agreed to replace the first and i have just written to them about the 2nd. I read somewhere earlier that they dont routinely replace them which i am prepared to robustly challenge given they cost £35 each!

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I've used three sensors. All lasted at least a week, but only one made it to 14 days. In terms of accuracy, I found them to be more like a Dexcom Seven (Three generations old Dexcom CGM) than a Dexcom G5. Very variable and fairly inconsistent. I was fairly disappointed in what I got.

slip

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @glitterbomb medtrum did replace that 3day old sensor without issue. The one after lasted just over 6days although I didn't request a replacement for that one. I've got 1 more in the cupboard I should get around to using! Unlike Tim I found accuracy not to be that bad, usually they're within .1 or.2 of BG with the occasional 1mmol difference when BG are changing rapidly or more frequently when the sensor is past it's 7 day period. Think the most I got out of 1 was about 11 days. For me the most important thing was the skin reaction which I haven't suffered from using the A6 as oppose to the Libre.

apollonian

I am pretty interested in this CGM and I have called this company, and he said they don't deliver products to China and US, is that correct? Where and how can I purchase one? Thanks!

redditchdiabetic

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Brilliant news you can now use Xdrip with Medtrum, Thank you so much for your hard work guys.

ccwood001

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I use these sensors and have found them as accurate as the Medtronic and definitely better for me than the libre. The customer service is good but payment method is still visible bank transfer. I have not used the dexcom so can not compare to this. For me they are great and affordable

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I use these sensors and have found them as accurate as the Medtronic and definitely better for me than the libre. The customer service is good but payment method is still visible bank transfer. I have not used the dexcom so can not compare to this. For me they are great and affordable
I'm pleased to hear that. I found the Medtrum sensors to have a pretty awful accuracy in comparison to the Dexcom G5. Over the two sensors I used, these were the results:

MARVfD.png

A6-G5-Error-Grid-2-weeks.png

The issue for me with the Medtrum is the dispersion. Even with this small subset of results, you can see a clearly greater dispersion around my median glucose levels than for the Dexcom.

slip

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I’m finding accuracy to be close enough, if it does seem to ‘wonder’ a calibration gets it back on track. Infinately better than the Libre for me as I reacted to it and caused alsorts of false readings, never used the dexcom. So maybe not quite as reliable as the dexcom but good enough for me! Would be better if it could last a bit longer though.